“Location, location”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Kirkland
Green Valley, Arizona
“Location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Location is key, easy access to 520 (west bound to Seattle, east bound to Redmond) and 405 north-south route to Renton or Lynnwood.

Room was clean, had a microwave & refrigerator, bed super comfy. All fixtures were in working order.

Morning breakfast offered yogurt, fruit, raisin bread, bagel, cereal, juice and waffle maker. Fine for getting the day started.

A Seattle landmark, Burgermaster, is walking distance to bring back to room (no dine in area, car hop style).

Great for a 1-7 day stay in the area. If you need more creature comforts.....spend more money :)

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pacific Northwest, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'm a little saddened as this is my first negative review on Tripadvisor. I was really torn between two or three stars but as you can see I wound up going with two stars. I'll outline why below. If this is too long to read, please skip to the very end regarding room security.

Pros: Location is very good. Right off 520, immediately adjacent to the Yarrow business park and 200 yards from The Keg Steakhouse & Bar (see my excellent review). I didn't have much trouble finding it but there are two entrances. The upper one is very easy to miss, but if you do, simply loop around at the next right and you'll land on the bottom one which is clearly visible.

Staff were very nice, pleasant, helpful, and promptly repaired the shower rod which was falling completely out of the wall.

Breakfast was good, dining area wahad pelnty of tables, and there was a pretty standard but very adequate assortment of items, including fruit and hardboiled eggs (the only things I could eat).

The overall hotel was clean and neat. It wasn't until I got to the room that I had any issues.

Cons: One the elevators was somewhat disturbing with an assortment of noises and occasional jerks that made me check the inspection certificate, and also very glad my wife wasn't with me as she doesn't care for even new, speedy elevators on a good day.

When I opened the room I was overwhelmed with the smell of bleach to the point that I immediately opened both windows (more below). I'm not talking a normal 'we just cleaned the room' smell, I'm talking, 'Dad, I just spilled a gallon of bleach in the laundry room' intensity. Unfortunately it failed to mask the other odor in the room which I was never able to fully identify but reminded me of stale beer and a carpet pad that had a leftover (human) urine odor that couldn't be fully eradicated. The next day I left the windows open while I went to dinner as the underlying scent filled the room during the day.

The windows. Ah yes, the windows. 20-25 year old Milgard windows with the seals completely blown. Condensation running down into pools on the sill, and black mildew/mold (the toxic kind) along the edges. Noise reduction from the windows was not the best to say the least, which was important because of the proximity to the freeway. I looked from outside at some of the other windows and given the amount of condensation on them in the mornings it appears that many of them may have been in a similar condition.

Heating was interesting as well. I turned the fan to 'on' in order to mask the traffic noise (which is why I gave the location only three stars). However when the heat kicked on during the night it was quite loud, somewhat rattling, and when the heat pump shut off it would do so with a rattle and a dying gasp that wouldn't have been out of place on an old tragic western as the hero breathes his last just before the end of the movie.

Shower rod was falling out of the wall. I'm honestly not sure how they could have not known this if they cleaned the tub. When I went to take a shower it almost completely came down and would not remain stretched out due to the way the rod was hanging. On the plus side when I reported it they promptly and effectively repaired it while I was out.

And the door. Two serious issues here for me. It gapped at the bottom by between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch, and around the latch side by close to 1/4 inch. This let a tremendous amount of light in throughout the night. I blocked the bottom with a towel, but even so the side gap allowed enough light that the entire room was illuminated to the point that I could wander around in the semi-dark without needing any other lighting.

Room Security: This was a significant concern to me. Because of the gaps described above I believe it would be trivial to access the rooms regardless of the security latch near the top. They apparently were concerned about this at some time as they placed a metal security flange over the bolt and latch on the outside to prevent this type of entry. However the door gap was so large, running the entire height of the door, that in my opinion it would take only a few seconds to gain unauthorized entry to the room.

Room Tip: I would request a room on the side away from the freeway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alpine, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

They are located right of of the 520 and were really close to the customer. I chose this location due to cost and vicinity. Rooms were clean and staff was friendly. Not too much close by to eat. That would be my only real issue.

Breakfast was okay. They had cereal, yogurt, Bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, Waffles and fruit. Drink selections were Orange Juice and Apple Juice. Their water pitcher water had an awful taste. It would be better if the water was filtered.

I would stay here again because of the location and price only.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason N
John Day, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is my corner retreat when attending Seattle/Bellevue classes. Very reliable staff and very well staffed for all services. Breakfast is well stocked, and the variety is very nice. Never had a noisy neighboring room. It is a little tricky to locate, as the shrubbery blocks directly viewing the building as you are driving around a curve in the road. Look and study a map first, so you can plan when the LaQuinta sign at the car's level will be visible. Find the neighboring BurgerMaster restaurant as a confirming landmark to help guide you, and you'll be fine. Going shopping in Bellevue, or Redmond TownCenter, or over the bridge to Seattle, is very easy from this location if you are driving.

Room Tip: If you have pets, they will have rooms convenient to taking them outside. Very nice quiet block to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Eagle Point, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Please put in the young lady's file that was working both nights we were there ,the 26th and 27th of Oct. of what a awesome representative she is for LaQuinta, the most kind, help full, thought full person the company could have working there .
Every thing was very nice for us and we would stay there again any time we are up north..
L R

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank leroys2
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Did not have a good experience. Booked over a month in advance for a non-smoking room. We were given a room that was obviously a smoking room. Complained to desk clerk, no apologies given, we were told that rooms were on a first come first serve basis, and we had to take whatever was available. They recommended another hotel five miles away that was non-smoking- it was okay, but would have not been my first choice. We did end up staying at that hotel.
We never did stay at La Quinta, they obviously did not want us for customers. At one point the floor manager was giving the desk clerk 'the look' that I took to mean that we were being a nuisance.
I recently stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Bellevue and it was levels above in service and courtesy than La Quinta, and for about the same price.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkland
Baymont Inn & Suites Seattle/Kirkland WA
Courtyard Seattle Kirkland
Comfort Inn Kirkland
Comfort Inn Kirkland
#6 of 9 in Kirkland
Hotel 116, a Coast Hotel Bellevue
Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa
The Heathman Hotel Kirkland

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Seattle Bellevue / Kirkland? Share your experiences!