“Average but seemed to have the potential to be better - 3.5 stars?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trellis

Trellis
Reserve with OpenTable
Trellis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 263 Restaurants in Kirkland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd Street
Transit: The Public Transit Mall is 1/2 block from the hotel's front door.
Austin, Texas
“Average but seemed to have the potential to be better - 3.5 stars?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went on a Sunday night in early June. The place was less than half full. There was a three course menu very fairly priced at $33. Some nightly specials were offered, some with an add on fee to the $33 (such as $6 additional for the seasonal salmon). For the quality and selection, this price was very good. In addition, on Sunday night, bottles of wine are half price. On price alone, this place would be 5 stars on Sunday night. Unfortunately, the food was just average to good. Note that the rating system on tripadvisor goes from average (3 stars) to very good (4 stars). While this place isn't exactly "average," it isn't "very good." Why not very good? They were out of the first bottle of wine we asked for and recommended another. There were four of us so the chances we would get a second bottle of wine were pretty good. When we ordered a second bottle of the recommend wine....no luck....they were out of that too. On this alone, I could not give a restaurant four stars.

As for the food.....the portions are large. The food ranges from OK to good to very good. The caprese flat bread is huge and is a meal, not a starter. The beet salad is OK, nothing special. The mussels were good. The pasta was overcooked and nothing special. Both the trout and the salmon were good but not great. As for desserts, the lemon flan was delicious and the lemon tart was OK.

Trellis is in a hotel. The atmosphere is OK but nothing special. You feel like you are in the lobby of a hotel, very institutional. There is outdoor seating which might be better but we did not try it so I cannot really say.

The place seemed to have much more potential than it showed us tonight. We might go back and try it again. I wouldn't recommend it to friends until I tried it again.

BTW....if you are reading Trellis.....I strongly recommend that you keep your wines in stock or update your wine list. Really.

• Visited June 2013

Seattle
“Very good, not top drawer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have dined at Trellis many times and probably will again. The menu is eclectic, seasonal and well conceived. The ambiance reminds me of a Courtyard Marriott; nice but institutional. The outdoor seating is a mixed bag, it is great to be outdoors (even in winter with the industrial strength heaters overhead) but the street noise is overbearing. Service is crisp and professional. I'd recommend it to try at least once.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ild
“Best happy hour in Washington State”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Food, Wine, Well Drinks 1/2 off from 4-6PM. Wine by the bottle is also 1/2 off during this time period

Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Not Worth the Money!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've been going to Trellis since they first opened, and I'll admit that I've had some excellent meals here. But, I have become much less of a fan in the past year, as I feel the price of the meal no longer matches its execution. The quality is no doubt good, farm to table fare, but the overall taste is lackluster, and especially when you consider the price. For instance, over $20.00 for a chicken caesar salad or $18.00 for a salmon niscoise--(and, these are not huge salads that will sustain you until dinner). I guess I finally hit my limit with Trellis, yesterday. I think the kicker for me was when I couldn't order my son a children's burger (something that is on the kids menu), as it wasn't offered at that time (12:00 on a Saturday). Instead, I had to pay $16.00 for a burger that didn't have all the toppings that MIGHT make it worth the price, but instead plain--the way most kids like it--which is not worth $16.00 by any stretch of the imagination. This is why they should always offer the kids burger that is on the kids menu (this is a hotel restaurant, mind you) since you shouldn't have to pay the same price for a deconstructed burger. And, to add insult to injury, they charge $4.00 for a cup of coffee. Perhaps I sound like a cheapskate, but I think a small lunch that cost me over $70.00 (with tip) for 2 adults and a child should have blown my socks off--instead, it just pissed me off! I think next time I'm in the mood for an upscale ambiance in Kirkland, I will try Volterra across the street.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Counting-the-ways
“Over priced + pushy rude waitress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to the Trellis in Kirkland for the 1st time. We discovered a Hugh disappointment. Our waitress was pushy. When we did not order the way she wanted us to she treated us with distain. She reached in front of me to grab a wine bottle to pour for those at our table. She ignored me, gave a small 4oz wine pour. She Kept coming to our table and interrupting our conversations. The food was very expensive and tasteless. We will never go back...waste of money..rather spend it at Ruth Cris.

• 1 of 5 bubbles