“Best vacation of my life!”

Bull Hill Guest Ranch
“Best vacation of my life!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

As we packed the car for the week at Bull Hill Ranch, we took along drinks, snacks, games, cards, and videos to keep us occupied in the evenings. Well, we immediately figured out that we needed none of that stuff. We left it locked in the car for the entire week. We stayed plenty busy riding, shooting, boating, eating, and hanging out with the cowboys every evening. Bull Hill staff keep you happy, busy, and laughing. This is really a 100% all-inclusive vacation! We will be back soon and often.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LoriMykeG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My experience with Bull Hill was fantastic.
I went here on a little solo trip for 4 nights, needing a break and rest from city life. There were a few couples and one family staying as well. The family said this was their 5th or 6th consecutive year coming back.
When I arrived, check-in was easy and quick and my cabin was charming. You are on top of a mountain away from anything so yes, animals are part of the scene... having said that, my cabin was super clean, the showers hot and there were no signs of any little critters. The staff was kind and asked how I would like to spend my afternoon~ if I preferred to rest or to go on a ride before dinner.
They have a nice little lake with canoes and wonderful trails and BEAUTIFUL look outs. When I wasn't on horseback, I would sit in rocking chairs on the front porch of the cookhouse overlooking a gorgeous valley and read a book.
Meals are very much family style... because guess what, a family runs the place. It's very much the feeling that they have opened their home to you and you are a guest. So yes, the food is not high end but there is plenty of it and it's home made. Again, I'm pretty picky and everything I was offered was great. Plus this is the type of place that just wants to make people happy, so had I not liked something, I'm guessing their cook probably would have made me something else.

One reviewer said the staff is more interested in drinking all night. Here is my take on that... when I was there we had just finished a long ride. We were all hot, sweaty, tired and ready for dinner. We ate our meal and then we all sat around and shared stories and talked and drank. It wasn't out of hand. It wasn't them slacking. Again, it was like being in their home and having after dinner drinks. These folks are so down-to-earth, hard-working ranchers. We spoke about life on a ranch and about their family and the land and it was lovely.

As for riding, I am a very experienced rider. Even so, they put me on a very easy going mare (a girl horse) who was probably better suited for a beginner or kid. But it was the first ride of me being there and I could tell they wanted to feel out my skillset. It doesn't matter if someone says I have experience or I'm a beginner because each person's idea of what that means is so different. I can attest that they held my safety at a high level by not just trusting what I wrote down on paper but instead evaluating my skills in person and on horseback. On the second ride they gave me a high spirited gelding (a boy horse) who was faster and more strong-willed and by the third ride I could choose whatever horse I wanted. Even as an experienced rider, I appreciated them being sure I could handle the horse before just throwing me on anything. As for getting bucked off- no one on our trip had any accidents. Just like any vacation excursion (snow skiing, parasailing, snorkeling, etc.) riding has risks of its own. Even the little kiddie pony's that walk in a circle at state fairs buck their riders. It comes with the territory. While I can't see any of the staff I met not being concerned for an injured guest, I can also imagine that to them it wasn't really a huge deal. I've been thrown and bucked off plenty of times and if I saw someone on my trip get bucked off, I would feel badly for them but not think, "oh my gosh this is life or death emergency room situation." I guess I just feel it's unfair for reviewers to give a bad review because they were injured by an accident that the staff really has no control over. But... each to their own opinion.

In summation, I loved my stay at Bull Hill and plan to return with my family. I give my recommendation for singles, couples, families and corporate retreats.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Britt B
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have been to Bull Hill twice. The first time my husband and I went by ourselves. We had a fabulous time. The staff was so friendly, couldn't do enough for you. My husband is a horse lover, couldn't have been at a better place. The second time we were with our son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons. What a great experience we had. The horseback riding was great. Our guide was so good with my youngest grandson who was a little apprehensive about riding a horse. The cook staff was very accommodating fixing food for my grandson who has to have gluten free food. We had such a great time and my family said it was an experience of a lifetime. Everyone there treats you like family. We will certainly go back for another visit. The Prouses

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Republic, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Everything about Bull Hill Guest Ranch was delightful. From the accomodations to the incredible meals and then of course the amazing horse trail rides.
Everyone on staff was attentive and always helpful. The horses were gentle and sure-footed and the guide was very professional.
The cabins were clean, well equipped and very comfortable. The hot tubs were extremely well maintained and a great way to end a day of riding.
The lake was wonderful, paddle boats and fishing boats, as well as abundant wildlife to enjoy.
I must mention the meals as they were 5 star. The open bar was a plus!!
All in all my experience at Bull Hill was the best guest ranch I have ever visited. That it is owned by the original family is a unique and special bonus.
I highly recommend this destination and hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Puyallup, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I agree with conquertheworld10, no idea what Roadlesstravled and anglogirl are talking about. I think they were not expecting an actual ranch experience. There are critters in the woods and cowboys don't eat filet mignon and drink Dom Perignon for lunch. Injuries can happen anywhere on vacations and you should not have to be offered a helmet if you want to wear one, just ask and they will provide one for you or bring your own. Take responsibility people. On my many visits through the years I have not seen any accidents nor any neglect from the wranglers. Anyways on to the review. I have been a guest of the ranch for 8 or 9 years and it is an amazing experience. The scenery is like no other. The quaint cabins are extremely comfortable. The horses are beautiful and you feel safe on the numerous trails that the experienced wranglers take you on. You have to ride down and experience Crown Creek Saloon, the owners Steve and Sally roll out the red carpet for you and serve up the best ice cold beer. Meals are all home cooked comfort food. The fully stocked bar is at your disposal. The family that runs the ranch really welcome you into their world and always make you feel like you're part of the family. A true adventure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I give Bull Hill and all that they do my Highest recommendation. My family and I have traveled extensively to all 6 continents and THIS is one of our favorites! :) It seemed to us that at each of our 3 visits to Bull Hill, we were given or offered all the amenities we could think of; from horseshoes to fishing, hiking, quad riding, & wonderful horseback riding! The riding was always both safe and adventurous, depending on what each of us wanted to experience! Once we even helped herd cows! :)

Dr. Cary B Simonds

Room Tip: Trust their advice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went there with a small group for work and it was great. The food was all home cooked, the small bar was fully stocked, and the location is amazing. Views without end, wildlife all over, and the hosts were... great. We stayed in the lonestar which had gas & electric and was very well furnished. (Some of the other cabins were just wood stove heat.)

Room Tip: Staying in a room with gas/electric heat is probably worth it during the months not right in the mid...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 6 in Christina Lake
New Horizon Motel
New Horizon Motel
#3 of 6 in Christina Lake

Been to Bull Hill Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!