“Clean, inexpensive, Convenient place to stay in Seattle area”

Crossland Economy Studios - Seattle - Kent - Des Moines
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Kent
Jacksonville, FL
“Clean, inexpensive, Convenient place to stay in Seattle area”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I rate the Crossland Excellent for what it is... an inexpensive, clean, convenient place to stay in the Seattle WA area.

Our Experience...

We were looking for an inexpensive room in the Seattle WA area. So I booked through hotwire. After booking I started reading reviews and saw so many trashing this hotel, I started having second thoughts about it.

Well, I was in for a very pleasant surprise. Our flight arrived late. It was after midnight when we got to the hotel/motel. There was a sign that asked for late arrivals to pick up a phone by the door and call. Literally within seconds, someone was there to check us in.

Check in...

Check-in went very smooth. The room was clean, the bed comfortable-- though a tad bit too hard, but at least it was not one of those "soggy beds" where you wake up the next morning with a back ache. In fact after sleeping on this bed, our backs felt better than usual.

Good Convenient Location With Helpful Staff

In the morning I went down to get directions to drive to Seattle. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact they had directions to Seattle printed out ready for any guests that needed them. The drive took about 20 minutes on a Friday.

Easy To Get Bottled Water, Food, Etc.

Right around the back of the Crossland is a Fred Meyer supermarket. You can buy food and/or bottled water there. We bought some great tasting Washington Apples.

Oh, and the Crossland let's you cook in your room. There is a mini fridge, microwave, and stove top.

They provide you with real plates, cups, and silverware too! But you do have to wash your own dishes.

The room we stayed in had no "funky" smell.

I would rate this hotel/motel on the level of a Motel 6. The staff really cares, and I told the manager about the reviews I read. She said she had been brought in specifically to turn the hotel around. And I can see she is doing a fine job at this.

So the old reviews may have been right, but based on my personal experience, the old reviews trashing the Crossland in Kent, are very out-dated at this point.

It's an inexpensive hotel/motel. It's clean, easy to get to where you need to get to, quiet, no extra charge for parking.

• Liked — What I got for the Price
  • Disliked — A Bit CHallenging to find from the airport at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2008

i stayed here for a week due to its location, with access to seattle . hotels closer to downtown seattle were all too pricey or over-priced. it was only a 20 mile drive to downtown, though rush hour traffic in seattle can be horendous. the front desk people were always very polite and helpful. however, i asked 3 times to have a leaking faucet fixed and was always assured that it would be done but it never was; i wonder if they even have any maintenance workers. also, the room could have used a cleaning- some dirt/mold on the walls and around the microwave. but overall it was clean, quiet, efficient and adequate. and the hotwire rate was very good. convenient stores nearby- fred meyers, dollar stores, gas stations, fast food places.

• Liked — price, kitchenette, quiet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We booked through hotwire, which for years has had nothing but the best. This was by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Actually it was sooo bad we called Hotwire and told them of the condition of the room and they immediately refunded our money and got us in a absolutely wonderful hotel for only alittle more. If I had only known of the reviews on this website which I trust completely, I would of never stayed at this hotel. I agree with the other reviewers completely.. The ones that say it wasn't bad, not sure if they stayed in the same place. The initial receptionist was very pleasant and the outside of the property looked great. But then upon entering the room it had the curtain hanging off the rod the bed was only a double and as stated felt like a bunk bed mattress or worse, and we were told you would have to have a disability to stay in a larger room.HuH?? Then the sheets and pillow cases were not changed, hair and eyelashes in the sheets, the trash had not been emptied, the coffee maker had not been cleaned, filter still in it. The toilet tissue holder was nonexistent, and the sink cracked.. Floor had dog food on it. Well you get the picture.. In fact I took pictures and called the sister company, ExtendedStay America and told them of our experience. My husband had us packed up in about 5 minutes. And the new receptionist was the most uncaring rude person I perhaps have ever met..The whole thing was like the twilight zone.... The cheap price is not even worth it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jaysue
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We spent a lot of time and gasoline trying to find this Extended Stay hotel called the Crossland Economy Studios because Hotwire gave the wrong address and directions to the Crossland. This hotel does not have airport shuttle. After complaining to desk clerk about bad directions from Hotwire, the desk clerk told me that many customers were upset with Hotwire for listing airport shuttle service provided by the Crossland. Fortunately, we did not need airport shutle service as we had a rental car. The only positive is this hotel is on the same road as the SEATAC off-site car rental agencies which made it easy for us to drop off the rental car before a 6am flight.
The hotel is clean and safe; standard room (because of Hotwire) only provides a full size bed.

• Liked — Located near off-airport rental companies
  • Disliked — Hotwire gave bad directions
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Booked through Hotwire.

Room was MUCH smaller that what was implied by Hotwire listing. I messed up and used the Hotwire "default" of 2 adults (rather than the actual 1 adult and 3 kids), but even then, a reservation for 2 adults should NOT mean a single twin bed, which is what we were given when we arrived. When we complained, the management was able to find a room with a single queen bed, but this, too, was inadequate. However, many rooms include extended families, so we weren’t the only ones cramped into inadequate-sized room...

Very shabby and the low-end, "extended stay" aspect means that the motel is filled with questionable characters. Upon our arrival, the police were cruising through the parking lot on a regular round (apparently, the word is out) and there were shiftless characters standing around smoking on the balconies. All night long, we were kept awake by car doors slamming, loud stereos and loud conversations on walkways. This boisterousness is particularly problematic due to the paper-thin walls.

The “décor,” such as it is best summed up as “minimal security.” Not even a shelf in the bathroom to put a toothbrush or a razor -- you can try to use the toilet tank, but the top is rounded so this doesn’t even work (as a deviation form the correctional facility theme, the toilet is porcelain and not stainless steel, btw). The bed was marginally more comfortable than the floor, which itself was uncharacteristically uncomfortable, apparently made from concrete.

• Liked — Everyone in my party survived.
  • Disliked — The other residents.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank snarkus04
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I got this hotel for $39 through a discount site, and was quite worried after reading the reviews. Sure, it's not the Hyatt, but it was perfectly fine for a 2-night stay. Check-in was polite and efficient, and my room, though small, was clean and comfortable. I appreciated having cooking facilities as there was a large supermarket a few minutes away. On the downside, the walls were thin and I could hear a lot of noise from outside, but earplugs took care of that. I didn't see any "unsavory" characters hanging around.

• Stayed July 2008
SoCal
Reviewed March 22, 2008

• Liked — near shopping
  • Disliked — This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. They only have double beds. The mattress slipped and slidded all over the box springs while we were trying to sleep. The mattress was like a bunk bed mattress. We got this hotel thru Priceline. I have used priceline numerous times and have received great places. I am sure Priceline does not know that this is not a decent room. The staff is not curteous. When we asked for a bigger bed, we were told they dont have anything bigger except maybe two double beds. They also said they can't change what Priceline reserves. That is not true. I have called hotels numerous times before arriving and after arriving asked for a larger bed and had no problems switching rooms. We were here two nights and got no sleep. They say they have a full kitchen...thats a laugh.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank treklih
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Crossland Economy Studios - Tacoma - Hosmer
Best Western Plus Plaza By The Green
Crossland Economy Studios - Tacoma - Puyallup
Comfort Inn and Suites Kent
Sleep Inn SeaTac Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Seattle Airport South

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Seattle - Kent - Des Moines? Share your experiences!