“Eat the lamb shank!”

Ishtar Greek & Mediterranean Cuisine
Ranked #33 of 319 Restaurants in Kent
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The wide variety of reviews on this place are confusing but I think thatit comes down to this: it is not main land Greek food. It is much more Turkish/middle eastern fare. So skip the Greek salad, forget feta, don't look for resina (no alcohol at all). Rock out on the lamb, the samboucas, the kubbas, etc. The pepper sauce is yummy but I only ate it on the flat bread because the ready was too good to cover up!

This lamb shank was the best we have had out side of the Dodecanese.

Also, outstanding value! Generous portion sizes. We came in with a 30 dollar groupon and didn't use it all. The server kindly let us add two desserts just to meet the value!

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the three meat kebab meal and was disappointed. Beef and chicken was burnt. Had to dip in hummus to disguise flavour.

Chicken was dry, beef was chewy and lamb was weird. The lamb skewer was minced meat with onions and other seasoning yet tasted like chicken was added.

Menu failed to mention that lentil soup had meat in it. My vegetarian husband said it looked and smells funny so I tasted it then asked the waitress and was told it did have meat in it. The vegetarian platter had a vinegar sauce poured on the food which made it so sour.

The only good thing was the strawberry shake and honeydew bubble tea.

Once is enough.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Food was excellent. Service was a bit odd. Server brought out one dish at a time to the patrons. There were only a couple tables occupied, but not sure how well that works when the place is busy.

1  Thank Dolores M
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our first visit to Ishtar and we are extremely pleased to have found it. We loved the taste, quality, and selection of the food. We wanted to try a good sampling of items (knowing we would have to take some home). We ordered the dolmah, the hummus with naan, the combination beef/lamb/chicken kabob plate with rice and salad, the kubba, the sambousa, the falafel, and three different types of desert! ALL were delicious, but we especially loved the hummus, the sambousa, and the falafel (which, by far, was the best we ever had)! It was interesting to find such a varied group of customers while we were there (Indian, Turkish, Filipino, Caucasian (me), and my husband (Arab). Our young (Turkish) waitress was so sweet and accommodating, seating/service/parking were a breeze, prices were comparable to other restaurants offering this type of cuisine, the food is halal, and the restaurant was very clean and had some beautiful decorations on the wall. We surely will return (in the near future) and can't wait to try some of the other items on the menu. ABSOLUTELY YUMMY!

2  Thank 1SusiQ
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Bought a LS coupon. Really good hummus. Large portions, I could not finish my gyro salad. Lamb kabobs very good, not rubbery like some places. Great signature hot sauce. I would come back for sure. I don't care about the atmosphere so much, dives usually have good food. The place is clean and the staff is friendly .

1  Thank Sandra C