“Better choice than Holiday Inn”

Comfort Inn and Suites Kent
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Kent
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Better choice than Holiday Inn”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Staying at this hotel for the first time. Thus far, pleasantly surprised and impressed. Comparing with their rival Holiday Inn across the street, the Comfort Inn is the clear winner: Lower price, bigger room, better furniture, flat screen TV, etc. Warm cookie and bottled water (just like Holiday Inn), is a nice touch; plus, Wall Street Journal is available at the front desk. This hotel is the clear winner. Only downside: The "view" out of the window is a true eyesore... It looks like a junk yard of some sort. So, if I have the opportunity of staying with this hotel in the future, I will definitely request for rooms that face the parking lot.

Room Tip: Make sure to request rooms that face the parking lot; otherwise, you will be treated with an awful v...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank TurboTing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
california
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We were visiting the Kent area so the Comfort Inn location was convenient for us. Easy excess to and from the 167 freeway. We were on the 3rd floor, a non-smoking floor. Not sure if this was was case on the other floors. A clean room and bath area plus a comfortable bed. The view from the window was nothing to look at - industrial area. View from the other side of the building was over looking the parking lot. The breakfast had a variety of items to choose from. Had afternoon cookies available. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Very nice place for my family. We had a little extra time so decided to head to a baseball game and visit family that lives in Kent. Was told to check out the hotels in this area. Looked on the choice hotels website and found this place. Good rate, plus from the pictures it looked like it had a couch bed for my 4 year old who thinks all hotels shoud have couch beds. So I go to book and the king room will only let me book 2 people or pick a roll away. I called the hotel and was told yes you can book the room with a 3rd guest not sure why the web site is set up like that but book it with 2 and add in the special request section about the child on the couch bed. She could not book the rate I had on the web site so I did do it the way I was told. Check in was very quick and we get to the room. Very nice. Clean flat screen tv. But no extra blankets or sheets for the couch bed. I went to the front desk and asked for them and was given 1 sheet and blanket. Then off we went to dinner. It would have been nice to have that already in the room.
Coffee was also ready in the breakfast area.
Beware there is a Church that meets here on Sundays so the breakfast area looks closed but you can go in and get coffee after breakfast service has ended. They just don't want the church going in and getting all the goodies.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
vancouver
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Short drive to Southcenter Mall, otherwise in an out-of-the-way location. Clean but plain rooms. Pleasant staff, basic but functional pool and fitness facilities. Computer use available near the front desk and in-room wi-fi good. Free breakfast better than expected- waffles, eggs, sausages and cold choices. Good stay for the sub $100 category.

• Stayed April 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Its a bit out of the way, and has a large construction yard next to it, but the staff were very friendly. We had none of the problems that other reviewers had. One minus is that you cannot purchase store items, and the food stores are a distance away.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor, away from elevator.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
gm_wa020, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Kent, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear Germaniabeanie,

Thank you so much for your feedback and compliment.
Yes Kent is a bit different than some of the nearby cities. A big part of Kent is business! Technology, Distribution Centers, Aerospace- you name it, it's here! Due to that fact we have no neighborhoods nearby or grocery stores. The closest chain grocery store is a mile away.

There have been a few discussions about expanding our vending machine products or coming up with ways to make staying here more convenient. We hope that you will continue to stay with us and watch the growths along the way.

Again, thank you so kindly for your input.

Bok Oh
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I looked on-line at this hotel before I reserved my rooms. The internet add specifically states that this is a pet friendly hotel. I arrived on a Thursday evening and checked in. My daughter and her service dog in training accompanied me to my room to get a package I had brought to her. The man at the desk, Nate, saw my daughter and the dog come in with me and get on the elevator. My daughter and the dog stayed about 25 mintues and left. The next morning I left for a meeting and then went to dinner with my daughter. I arrived back to the hotel at about 9:00 and could not get into my room. I thought my key had demagnetized and went to the front desk. When I got there I was informed that I had been locked out of my room and could only gain entry by paying $250. They said I had a pet in my room and since this was not a "pet room" they had to sanitize the room and that cost $250. I told them that the dog stayed about 25 minutes, that Nate had seen the dog enter, that the internet add said this was a pet friendly hotel. The clerk said I would have to take this up with the Manager, Michelle Chung on Monday. I aksed the clerk what was wrong with the room and she said there was dog hair on the comforter. I assured her that the dog was not on the bed but that I had taken my suitcase out of my daughter's car and that there might have been hair on it. I did acknowledge that I put the suitcase on the bed. I said I had my medication that I had to take in my room and I did not have $250. She said she was sorry but I could leave or pay the money. She was holding my luggage and medication hostage. I thought about calling the police but I had to have my medication immediately and so I had to put the charge on my debit card. The clerk told me that I could dispute the charge with the manager on Monday and that she would be in at 7:00. I had a 9:30 flight so I was in the lobby on Monday at 7:00. Michelle Chung, the manager did not get to work until 7:25. I explained the situtation to her and told her that if the dog was not allowed in the hotel why didn't Nate, the clerk say anything. She told me that was not his job. SHe said the whole room had to be sanitized. I told her that I saw a dog in the lobby that morning and again on the elevator and asked her if the whole lobby, hallway and elevator had been sanitized. She told me that I was making a scene. I told her that I wanted the charges taken off of my debit card immediately, I felt she had treated me dishonestly and was going to complain to the Corporate Office if she did not remove the charges. She told me, "Since you are making a scene, I am not going to remove the charges". By this time I was late leaving for the airport and asked for the Corporate number. She mumbled something and I did not get what she said and asked for it again. SHe turned to help another person at the desk and left without returning and giving me the number. My daughter came in at this time and had to yell, "Hey you have a customer" before Ms. Chung would return to the front desk and I had to ask three more times for the number for the corporate office. I called the corporate office on the way to the airport. the woman I spoke to was very kind and said that I should have been treated in this manner nor should I have been charged $250. She asked me to hold and she called Michelle Chung. When the woman from Corporate came back on the line, she said that Ms. Chung said she would reduce the charge to $100 if I would not file a formal complaint. I did not have $250 extra dollars so I agreed to the reduced amount. The woman from corporate advised me to wait until the charges had been reapplied to my account and then write a letter to the the Coporation. She said this Comfort Inn was privately owned but the Corporation needed to hear about what had happened to me.
I find this treatment despicable, dishonet and humiliating. I have stayed in Comfort Inns for many years but until I get assurance from the Corporate office that this will never occur again, I will never stay in a Comfort Inn or any of their affiliates again. I have shared my experience with my supervisor and he has assured me that he will never use this Comfort Inn again. This is a loss to them since one of the employees travels to Kent each month for four or five days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Nancy F
gm_wa020, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Kent, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize that you had to experience such an unpleasant stay with us. This situation could have been handled better and should have been addressed with sensitivity. We are sincerely sorry that you had to feel so horrible during this trip. I would like to let you know what changes we have made since your stay in September. Here is a couple of things we have done to better our hotel:
*currently working on all online websites to clarify our pet policy*
I have noticed that even on our website it doesn't say we have specific rooms- it only allows you to reserve the room type that says "pets allowed"
*we have changed management*

As for the charges there isn't much more that we can do since we have adjusted $150. We used the $100 and had to spend out of pocket for the remaining cost.

Our procedures: It is the guest service agent's duty to get the proper initials reminding guests of their rate, no smoking in Non-smoking room policy and no pets in Non-pet room policy. It is also our duty to acknowledge and question when a dog is heading into the elevator and we failed to do that part. The guest service agent on duty should have asked your daughter when she came in solo with a pet and went to the elevator to meet with you on the third floor.

Everything could have well been prevented and it would've made everything proactive. This is lack of training and lack of accountability.

As a hotel we try to understand that people come in different sizes, forms and need different accommodations. Because we respect that we try to house pets and try to respect the non-pet owners as well. I hope you can try to understand.

Our Director of Sales- Gina will get in touch with you in the next few days to see what else we can do to. Again, we are so sorry that this happened.

Bok Oh
Oregon
Reviewed June 30, 2011

The manager was very friendly and accommodating but we didn't get what we were promised which was two rooms with an adjoining door. We checked in on a Friday and needed the room next door for Sat and Sun nights. Seems those that were there on Friday decided to stay an extra night and instead of moving them they moved our out of state company. And I just hate it when you are told "we're so sorry" but not one thing is done about it! All told we stayed at this hotel 7 nights in the month of June but we will not be back again.

We were in room 112 and the walls are not very sound proof and the sound between floors is bad too. We had to call the front desk at midnight as the party next door was really loud. I really thought this may have been another hotel chain that had taken the Comfort name, but was told it was always a Comfort Inn. I've stayed in many, many Comfort Inns and Suites and have never stayed in one that was as noisy as this one. The room decor is just tired and needs to be refreshed.

Didn't eat the breakfast so can't comment on that. Did find black hairs on the blanket and asked that it be changed as we don't have black hair...ugh..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
salesmanager30, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Kent, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Dear Valued Customer,

thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are sorry that you were disturbed by such noisy guests during your stay. We take all the reviews very seriously and utilize them to improve our services for our valued guests.

If you do choose to stay with us again, give us a heads up for joint room bookings and when you are disturbed by other guests we need to be notified immediately so we can respond to the situation as soon as possible.

Once again thank you for your valued reviews and do hope to see you again as we value your business with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Best Western Plus Plaza By The Green
Ramada Kent Seattle Area
Red Lion Inn & Suites Kent Seattle Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kent/Sea-Tac Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Kent
Best Western Seattle Airport Hotel

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Kent? Share your experiences!