“Better than expected- but the questionable neighborhood just isn't worth it”

Howard Johnson Inn Kent
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Kent
Kirkland, Washington
“Better than expected- but the questionable neighborhood just isn't worth it”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We are Seattle locals but spent two nights there before we could move into our new place. Because we were there to stay in, not to be out, some amenities were of importance to us: wifi, microwave, fridge, AC. Microwave was missing when we checked in, but upon contacting the front desk they were able to bring it in right away. Wifi signal was sporadic at times, but all worked okay. Front desk staff was actually helpful and handled our inquiries in a professional manner. Room cleanliness/comfort was passable. The hotel also has a pool, sauna, laundry facility, and even a small exercise facility. Breakfast is standard but better than most motels I've stayed at-- all this amounts to a "better than expected" review.

The reason why I would NOT go back is the neighborhood. We heard some people shouting in the parking lot attached to the restaurant next to the hotel and looked outside from our room only to find a truck trying to run away from a woman pointing a gun at them! Police came shortly after and questioned some people-- including the hotel staff-- all that, right by the rooms and the hotel pool where kids were playing. We don't know what happened or how often this sort of thing happens in the neighborhood, but it just isn't worth it.

Room Tip: Be sure to request microwave/fridge upon check in. Not all rooms have them.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked the Howard Johnson Inn through Priceline without knowing what hotel we would get, which is something I will NEVER do again. But moving on, after learning that they booked the Howard Johnson Inn, I pulled the reviews and was stunned at how bad they were. Especially in regard to prostitution and other seedy behaviors in the area.

I am happy to report that I didn't see ANY unsavory characters the night we were there, which was a weekday. Perhaps things are work on Friday and Saturday nights. But either way, it was a safe and quiet night for us.

Further, the hotel itself, while worn and dated... was comfortable and functional. And the AC worked. In short, our short stay went well. And we WOULD stay there again, if the situation or opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd floor... facing away from the pool or highway. And PARK as close as possible to the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oxon Hill
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I am staying now for my second night with my wife and three daughters. We drove by Seattle on the 17th and could not find a reasonably priced hotel to stay in. We ended up in this hotel by chance and were very pleased with everything in the hotel from the front desk personnel, to the spacious double bed room with the fridge, to the cleaness of the room, to the the decent continental breakfast that we decided to stay for another night.
Are not there anything to complain about? Sure there could be a few things such as the airconditioner not being cold enough but having been in many hotels, I know when is a decent hotel is decent!
By the way, Denny's restaurant is just across the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ksiddik
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel was nice, the rooms were clean and quiet, breakfast was typical, the coffee was hot and there was a good selection of bagels and muffins. We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and moved after the first night because the toilet would not flush properly and there was no pressure in the shower. The staff were accommodating and apologized for the issues.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We had a good stay at the Howard johnson. The front desk was friendly and did a good job. Checkin was easy.The check in was 3pm but i got room around 1.00 since they had availability. My stay was pleasant with the pool being open and the breakfast till 10.00. Will come back definately !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I hated my stay here. I will NEVER stay here EVER again! I have had better customer service at Mc Donalds than this place. The front desk clerks were unprepared, unhelpful,and extremely rude. The manager was careless and rude. The owner of this hotel should get a better manager to manage their front desk. The price varies between travelers, I noticed it really depends on who is working the front desk! One morning I heard the lady at the front desk give a quote on the same type of room I was in for acouple days later for $20.00 cheaper. The housekeepers were friendly but the one who "cleaned" my room must have ran out of towels because all they did was refolded my old ones. My room was dirty,smelly,and unsanitary. There is a lot wrong with this hotel definitely not a place to bring your children to unless you want to have them exposed to dirtyness, the prosititution ring going on at the back part of the property ( bottom floor very last rooms), the lack of safety (sure they have cameras but what are they good for if no one is watching them!). This place needs a renovation in the staff and in their rooms. I will stay clear of this place as if it was a plague.

Room Tip: Find a better place to stay!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I beleive this surveys works wanders
We stay two uears ago n i wasnt happy at all.
People they fix the rooms, the smell is bettle , water in shower is much better this time wont change from worm to hot so its much better i will come back

Virginia from connell wa

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Ramada Kent Seattle Area
Comfort Inn and Suites Kent
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kent/Sea-Tac Airport
Best Western Plus Plaza By The Green
Red Lion Inn & Suites Kent Seattle Area
Best Western Seattle Airport Hotel

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Kent? Share your experiences!