“Nice and clean, but room smelled.”

Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Kennewick
Pacific NW
“Nice and clean, but room smelled.”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My daughter and I planned a quick one night stay in Kennewick. We checked in and were given room 305. We walked in and were taken aback because of the strong scent of smoke. My daughter suffers from allergies and asthma, so I immediately called down to see if we were in a smoking room. They informed me that they don't have any smoking rooms, but they would be more than happy to give us a different room. We went down to the front desk and swapped keys for our new room. UGH! It smelled worse! Luckily, not the smell of cigarettes, but rather of a rotted tennis shoe. LOL! Honestly, we are not a family of complainers and I HATE difficult people, so we decided to deal with our situation. In their defense, the front desk did call to make sure the room was fine and I told her it smelled pretty bad (room 335), but I didn't want to have to move us again. I figured we weren't going to be in the room much anyway. We just went to the store and bought an air freshner (didn't help...lol). The walls are pretty thin and I could hear conversations in the next room and even while in the bathroom. Oh, and the shower faucet needs to be caulked. It was really difficult to get the shower turned on and when trying to help my daughter, I noticed that there is no caulking around it and it actually pulls out a few millimeters from the tile when you are tugging the pull to turn on the shower. Other than this, the hotel was nice and clean. I agree with other reviewers that the beds NEED new bedspreads. It almost kind of grossed me out. They appear to be very clean and are nice, bright white but the "moguls" as one reviewer described them are definately noticeable.

We enjoyed the pool and hot tub to ourselves. The workout room did not have air conditioning (it was broken down at the time), so I didn't get my jog in, but hey...we were on vacation!

Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. Management just needs to fix the faucet, get new comforters, and figure out where the smells are coming from. I suspect that it might be the filter in the air conditioning unit. Oh, and maybe check into the start time of cleaning staff. We are early risers, but the cleaning gal started vacuuming the room adjacent to us pretty early. If I were on a real vacation and wanted to sleep in, I would have been annoyed.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators. We were pretty much directly across from them and could hear people c...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MilesWilkins, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for your recent feedback from your last stay here at the Hilton Garden Inn/Kennewick WA. Every comment we receive, positive and negative help us grow as a company. I have spoke with Maintenance and they are repairing the faucet in your last room and also inspecting all rooms to ensure they are attached properly. Along with this our housekeeping staff are taking extra time this next few days to really track down the room smell issue and ensure each room is fresh and clean smelling. Thank you again for taking your time to help us improve our level of service.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stay several days a month at the Kennewick HGI. If it weren't for the friendliness of the front desk staff I honestly wouldn't. I love Kris and she always makes me feel like she is thrilled that I am back... but I don't ever feel like the sales team or management care about my business one way or another. The rooms are nicely sized and decently appointed...some rooms are better updated than others. The beds are very very comfortable but the bed spreads are AWFUL! It looks like a used diaper. The restaurant staff is friendly but I think sometimes it is better to not be able to see who is cooking your food, if you intend to keep your appetite. I am a creature of habit, so I will probably continue to stay there... but not out of loyalty. It hasn't been earned.

Room Tip: ask for a second or third floor room away from the elevators and employee doors.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent feedback from your last stay here at the Hilton Garden Inn/Kennewick WA. Every comment we receive, positive and negative help us grow as a company. It is with those comments we receive that we can build our guest service and customer satisfaction to the very best possible. Our goal is to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible and our employees are dedicated in providing you with the highest level of customer service.

Marysville, Washington
Reviewed June 29, 2011

a very good place for my friends and i. room clean and the service was really good. front desk help was the best. and hats off to the really cute and great looking lady Nicole!!! you are a doll!!!!!!
had a chance to see the manager in passing and he was a really nice guy and easy to talk to. keep up the good work and my motorcycle friends also so say the same. and and they both said say a special hi to Nicole!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
MilesWilkins, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Kennewick. I have posted your comments for the whole staff to read and also spoke with Nicole as well. We hope to see you for your next trip to Tri-Cities.

Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed May 30, 2011

On the sixth night of a recent road trip through Northern California, Oregon and Washington we found ourselves stopping for the night in Kennewick, Washington. While an hour or two from the city we called the (877) STAY- HGI phone number that we thought would reserve a room that night at the Hilton Garden Inn. After speaking with a very nice lady we were told we had a room confirmed for the night. I even had her double check to make sure. WRONG !!. When we arrived at the facility we found that we had been double booked (not a problem) but they did not have the room requested and CONFIRMED for us. I will say the front desk person was very sorry for the mix up but it is not what you want to hear after hours on the road. The front desk person called numerous hotels in the city and was able, with a lot of luck, to find us a room in another facility for the night.

Room Tip: Call the facility directly or try your luck !
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tourist058
MilesWilkins, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Kennewick. I apologize for the overbooking issue you faced when you arrived. I can assure you this is a rare occurrence. Unfortunately, there are times a guest decides not to check out during a time when the hotel is completely booked causing an oversell situation. I am sorry this occurred and hope you will give us an opportunity during your next visit to the Tri-Cities to show this was definitely an exception and not the rule at our property. We value our guests and strive to give the best customer service possible.

Jerry Beach
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I arrived near midnight to a line of people and a frantic desk clerk. Many guests extended their stay and the hotel was having to relocate people to another hotel. I waited over a 1/2 hour to check in. Not what you want that late at night. The desk clerk was doing his best to call cabs and other hotels for the relocated people. Knowing this situation was going to happen the hotel management should have had another person on staff to help handle the situation. Fotunately I have "status" with Hilton and I was not a relocated guest.

They did cover my breakfast for the wait.

The hotel is a little dated from some HGI's. Older standard format TV's, furnishings that appear to be from when the hotel originaly opened and are nearing a time for updating; but not in bad shape.

My room was huge with tall ceilings. I'm not sure if that is typical of all the rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
MilesWilkins, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, WA. I can assure you this was a rare occurrence for our hotel. I would like to invite you back to see that this situation is not normal for our hotel. With out guest comments we cannot improve our level of service so thank you again for informing us about your stay.

Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cites/Kennewick WA
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised to be the "Guest of the Day" & upgraded to a suite. It was a fantastic surprise. The front desk staff (Nicole specifically) was absolutely delightful, genuine conversation & very polite. The suite was on the 3rd floor so there was a different smell near the suite (rm 352). The room was pretty clean, the furniture seemed worn & the carpeting seemed like it needed a good steam clean. The bed was fantastic & the bathrooms were clean. The TV's were older but suitable. We do suggest the HGI to visiting friends & will continue to stay there ourselves & will also continue to post reviews. Thank U Kennewick HGI for being so great to us.

• Stayed April 2011
MilesWilkins, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at the Hilton Garden Inn/Kennewick WA. We hope to have our new televisions installed this summer and you should come back and enjoy a movie on the larger flat panels.

NYC
Reviewed March 8, 2011

So I've had my fair share of Hilton Garden stays at various properties, so I came into this with high expectations. Unfortunately for us several college bball teams were staying there, which inevitably means a hotel full of immature and loud college athletes. PROS: front desk staff upon check in was very accommodating and helpful with our needs and concerns, changing our room several times after discovering noise issues. Breakfast guy is awesome, makes great egg dishes! Located near alot of retail and restaurants, and easy to find. And fantastic water pressure in shower! CONS: old and small tv for size of room...will I die without a flatscreen? no, but when all others have it why doesnt this one? WiFi signal could be spotty and inconsistent, though improved once in lobby. Walls, floors and ceilings are thin so we could hear all the stomping and voices.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank setiramm
MilesWilkins, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tri-Cities/Kennewick, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are in the process of upgrading our old style televisions to new flat screens and hope to have this completed quickly. We hope to see you again the next time you travel to Kennewick, WA.