“Mixed results”

Cap'n Yoby's
Ranked #14 of 42 Restaurants in Kelso
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I used to come here in high school and they had the best fish and chips in the world. Maybe I am still living the dream, but I always have to stop in when I go to Longview. I have been here twice recently. The first time, the fish was on the soggy side, and I think the problem is that they don't always deep fry it quite long enough. This time, one of the pieces was perfect and the other had some damp areas in the batter. When they get it right...ahhhh ! The tarter sauce is just like I remember it....and I always order extra. The fries....not so much. Those are nothing special. I didn't even finish them. The first time I was in, the cashier had on a dirty tee shirt and presented a pretty sloppy appearance. This time, a different cashier looked fine, and when he noticed me step outside to make a call while I was waiting for my order, he placed it under the heat lamps until I came in for it. Nice touch ! A paint job inside the place would go a long way to making it look less run down.

1  Thank Sandy N
There are newer reviews for Cap'n Yoby's

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Cap'n Yoby's has been an institution in the Longview-Kelso area for many years. The halibut is wonderful and the tartar sauce is homemade and compliments the fish, but is also an excellent dip for the fries. The fries may be frozen, but they are my favorite. Large in size and cooked crispy on the outside, but soft centers thoroughly cooked. The colesaw is very good with a pleasant tang. The milkshakes are tasty and compliment the meal. At one time there were several locations for this hometown restaurant, but now there is only one and it is in Kelso. It is not a cheap meal, but it is worth every penny. It has a fresh quality that you will not find at nearby chain restaurants that ship most of their foodstuffs from General Mills or similiar food giants.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I gotta admit its good fish I wish they would make the cod like they do the halibut, I know halibuts expensive but wow for there prices you can go out for a fancy dinner in fine dining, not a burger bar. the pieces do seem to be getting bigger i guess they got tired of complaints.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I could not believe the prices at this joint. And I had heard excellent things!
I was expecting some really fantastic fish 'n' chips, but what we got was soggy, greasy, flavorless, and EXPENSIVE. Seriously, you could get a much better meal at Red Lobster for around the same price.

1  Thank Kristadaggermouth
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Used to come in here when I had three kids, I could afford the fish which was the most excellent in the world, either cod or halibut! Now several years later the fish is in smaller pieces with tons more breading very crunchy, super expensive, if you don't mind the grease running down your chin guess it would be ok! Service was really BAD! Cluttered inside! Looking for a better resturaunt!!!!

3  Thank Reubentinker