“This place was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in”

Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Kelso
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Not only do they charge you $140 bucks a night, which is way more than any other hotel in town, but they also have very in-experienced staff who have no clue what you are asking for and try to make your stay the worst experience of your life. I will never stay here again for the rest of my life. The decor might be nice on the outside, but the way the hotel staff misrepresent themselves is completely unprofessional. The service by the staff would be a negative two points. They definitly went out of their way to ruin my day.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeattleSound00

Reviewed July 3, 2009

The service at this hotel was horrible, by far the worst experience for a large chain hotel. I had never stayed in a Red Lion before and I will never again. The wait staff was rude, lazy and slow. The management staff made lame excuses for the poor service and did nothing to improve the situation.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank happycoloradan
Reviewed March 4, 2009

I stayed several days for business. The front desk staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. I requested a room with a fridge. Unbeknownst to me, they apparently deliver mini fridges on a hand-truck following check-in! This seemed unnecessary, not to mention tactless. Also, don’t get a room with an adjoining door; you can hear everything from the room next door. While all of these attributes are not the most desirable, this establishment may be the best that Kelso has to offer. I have firsthand experience at several other Kelso/Longview motels and, comparatively, the Red Lion isn’t bad.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I stayed 2 nights at the Red Lion Hotel, and I also had my wedding at the Red Lion Hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff are highly unprofessional and do not listen to your requests.

I was lied to several times by hotel staff, so they could get more money out of my pocket. For example, when I had my wedding there, I was lied to about the ballroom being double booked, when the room was not booked previously. I also was quoted one price in July, when I originally began planning my wedding, and then when I got there in November, was told that the prices had been raised by $3,000 due to the Red Lion Hotel being hit hard by the economic crisis.

This is not my fault that the Hotel was hit hard by the crisis, and if you want to stay somewhere that won't tell you one price and then raise the price significantly when you arrive. Please do not have a wedding or rent a room here.

There are much better places in town to stay. I would recommend the Guesthouse Inn & Suites. The decor is much more elegant and less outdated.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed in the largest suite they have, and it was the biggest hotel suite we have ever stayed in. In almost every way we were presently surprised with the hotel. The room was dated but nice, and the bed was excellent.

Most surprising was the restaurant, we had dinner and breakfast and the food was far better than expected, not typical fare.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TravelingCanes
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Have stayed in this hotel numerous times over the past fifteen years. It has not had any noticeable improvements. First room we checked into this trip had obviously had smokers in. We asked for another room. Desk staff seemed very indifferent about cigarette smoke. They rented room to another patron after we relocated. Both rooms we were in as well as other family members rooms (5 in all) were all very musty and moldy smelling. Freeway side of hotel very noisy from traffic (as always). This hotel is way outdated. No technology in rooms, very few TV channels. Needs complete overhaul. After this trip, we will never stay in this hotel again. We will go across freeway about 3/4 mile to Guest House Inn and Suites where we have stayed a few times. Nice rooms there and they have a very nice spread for a continental breakfast. Not so at the Red Lion. Am giving this review a 2 star rating against my better judgement. So long Red Lion, hello Guest House Inn...

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank 4bertha
Reviewed March 26, 2008

My family stayed at the Red Lion Hotel in Kelso, WA recently and it was absolutely hideous. First of all, the front desk staff was horribly rude, especially the front desk manager, a guy who looked to be about 18 years old. Then, the room was dirty and dusty. The decor was dated. Room Service was an hour late and our food was cold. We were charged for movies we didn't even watch or attempt to watch. Then, at the end of the stay, we were charged a "smoking fee". My wife and I are not smokers and we feel that this was incredibly unfair. Since our credit card was given upon arrival, the smoking fee was already charged to the card, and without our knowledge or consent. The people were terribly rude all around and it was the worst travel experience we ever had.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank toddsm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelso
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Kelso/Longview
Best Western Aladdin Inn
Lewis River Inn
Lewis River Inn
#1 of 3 in Woodland

Been to Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview? Share your experiences!