“Most horrible hotel experience”

Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Kelso
Reviewed March 26, 2008

My family stayed at the Red Lion Hotel in Kelso, WA recently and it was absolutely hideous. First of all, the front desk staff was horribly rude, especially the front desk manager, a guy who looked to be about 18 years old. Then, the room was dirty and dusty. The decor was dated. Room Service was an hour late and our food was cold. We were charged for movies we didn't even watch or attempt to watch. Then, at the end of the stay, we were charged a "smoking fee". My wife and I are not smokers and we feel that this was incredibly unfair. Since our credit card was given upon arrival, the smoking fee was already charged to the card, and without our knowledge or consent. The people were terribly rude all around and it was the worst travel experience we ever had.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank toddsm

Reviewed February 23, 2008

Husband and I stayed here 1/29/08-1/31/08. He had an interview at a local hospital so the HR staff set us up at Red Lion Inn for the 2 nights.

Once we arrived at the hotel, the girl behind the desk was soft spoken but nice. It's only 2 stories, so we had to lug our stuff up the stairs...the carpet is this hideous floral design, i don't know, can't really describe the decor...just really old fashion?!

When we got into the room, it was extremely large and exceptionally clean. I was afraid that this "inn/motel" style would be cruddy and dirty, but that was not the case. The bed was actually comfortable. The bathroom was a good size. Has a pretty large tub for an "inn".

Down the hall, they have complimentary ice and water. They provide water bottles for you to use. Although I used it, i was a bit skeptical as to how clean these plastic bottles were; but i didnt get sick or die, so it must be ok.

On the first floor, there is a restaurant...forget the name of it, but it seems like its a local hang out for the locals in town during the nights.

For a hotel snob, i was impressed by the comfort. It sort of felt like staying a friend's old grandma's apartment. Coming from east coast, the pace of life if a lot slower, which is welcoming.

I have posted some pictures of the hotel room.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We stayed here for a Lions Fall Forum. The front desk was pleasent and helpful. Housekeeping immediately gave us a second luggage holder for our room when asked. When a bulb burned out in the bathroom, they were there in five minutes to replace it. Almost all the rooms were occupied by Lions and the service was great. The room was beautiful, very large, comfortable and quiet. The meals in the hotel restaurant were OK, rather slow service. The Lounge was great! Happy Hour prices were very reasonable. All in all had a very nice time and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
38  Thank DGLions
Reviewed June 21, 2007

Walking distance to the fields and McDonalds, a bowling alley and other stores are right next door. The mall on the other side of the freeway. Yes you are by the freeway but it was pretty quiet. Our room was huge with two queen bed and two bathroom sinks, one outside the toliet area. A large picture window that faced the back of the hotel and it is a greenbelt area with a service road. We didn't stay in the section by the pool. Microwave and fridge. Comfy beds. This was a great place to eat, the kobe burger, coconut shrimp and barbque ribs were great! They have a sports bar with Karoke. The rooms are recently remodeled and the lobby is almost done. Granite countertops. They have an outdoor pool which we did not use. Ok...now the bad stuff. One sink was very slow draining so we called maintenance. Then the toliet was plugged so we called maintenance. The first night we couldn't get any heat or turn off the HVAC. We called maintenance the next and they said our a/c wasn't turning off. This was the most number of times I have ever had to call maintenance at a hotel. I didn't have any problem with the wireless internet. The staff was very friendly

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20  Thank juliebug52
Reviewed July 30, 2006

This was absolutely the worst hotel experience ever. I travel 18 days a month for business and I have never stayed in such a lackluster, watered-down, filthy looking hotel room. The front desk staff were downright rude, charged me for a pay per view movie I did not view, and they refused to take it off my bill. Do yourself a favor, don't even consider staying there.. I would have been better off at the Motel 6. I have had good experiences at Super 8 in Kelso.

Stayed: July 2006
16  Thank BI98110
Reviewed November 20, 2005

It was a wonderful room, with free internet, and comfy chairs. The pillows were too large, and it was my history to bring my own, but this time I didn't. Very good wait-staff in the Sportsbar - esp. Danneila!

Great Steak in the breakfast menu and lovely fried portabello's for appetizers (a little heavy on the breading - but great if you peeled it off!).

It was a superb stay, and well worth the great rate of 125.00 for two nights.

30  Thank Mandi S
A TripAdvisor Member
Enumclaw, Wa
Reviewed July 27, 2004

Hotel took unauthorized $200.00 withdrawl from my card after making payment for the room. Told that it would be reversed and has not hapened to date.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelso
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Kelso/Longview
Town House Motel
Town House Motel
#4 of 8 in Longview
Best Western Aladdin Inn

Been to Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview? Share your experiences!