“The Choice of the Chinese”

Mandarin Garden Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 172 Restaurants in Issaquah
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed April 5, 2009

When the Chinese artists spent about 3 or 4 months in Seattle with their working art and artesian exhibit at Seattle Center they chose Mandarin Gardens as their favorite restaurant in the region. We've been coming here for over 15 years. You can't go wrong with the 2-person dinner. WonTon or egg flower soup, fried cashew chicken, sweet & sour pork, shrimp or pork fried fried rice, beef broccali and chow mein vegatables. Add some delicous house wine. You are happy. We take our doogie bag home and finish it tomorrow.

Reviewed March 23, 2009

My family and I have been eating at Mandarin Garden for years. It is the best Chinese food in the US of A as far as we are concerned. The owner, Andy Wang, is a celebrated chef within the Chinese community and there are several dishes on tne men that you cannot get anywhere else. His Egg Foo Yung is to die for and makes great leftovers! Fresh vegetables are used in every dish -- which really makes a difference. When our daughter had her first high school dance, we approached Andy about having their dinner party and he was very accomodating about coming up with a fixed price, teen friendly menu (including tip and beverages, which made things very easy for 14 yr olds on their first big date). He even let us decorate their table with flowers the afternoon of the big event.
When my husband and I are "kidless" we love to eat at the Cloud 9. The bar is furnished in a wonderful Chinese decor and the Wang family photos make it feel like you are visiting with Andy at his home. Andy Wang is usually manning the bar in the evenings and loves to socialize with his guests. The atmosphere is cosy and the clientele are mostly regulars.
I have also hosted several large parties at the Mandarin Gardens for family or business events. On each occaision, the guests were delighted with the great food, fun atmoshere and the personalized attention. Wang makes his guests feel like they are visiting his home.

Reviewed November 8, 2008

My daughter is a well behaved restaraunt goer. We visited the library and went to this place after DAYS of anticipation. She wanted to go to the dragon place after seeing it at Salmon Days. It was a Mommie and daughter dinner before her Daddy returned from a trip. From the moment I stepped through the door and the woman behind the podium scouled at me..I wanted to flee. The waiter told me it isn't mongolian beef without green onions. He described it as a "little pile of beef" and looked at me like I was crazy. I ordered chicken chow mein for me and my daughter, ate only enough to know the chicken tasted gamey and let her eat some of the noodles. She was GREEN after preschool the next day and was literally sick outside her classroom. The trip to the airport immediately following was risky but necessary. She's FINE today. I will never return to this restaraunt and would tell them myself if I had any hope of them understanding me.

1  Thank caringcustomer
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I been to about every restaurant in washington, non have been able to top this excellent mandarin restaurant though. Even the places with the pricey food, lobster tail for 57 dollars that barely fills you up doesnt even top the great food mandarin has.

From my experience, the combination plates and complete dinners are the best way to go, you cant go wrong there.

Please, try the combination plate A or any of the complete dinners (Specially the spicy dinner). The spicy complete dinner isnt very spicy, but it has that perfect hint of spice that just gives that flavor the right "zing" without making you take a sip of water every bite. Sorry i dont remember the name of the spicy complete dinner, it will have the red peppers next to the name though.

By far, if your looking to enjoy a nice american-chinese restaurant prepared meal then give this place a try, i hope you aren't disapointed. Some people have given this place bad ratings due to service, i will admit the waiters dont seem to smile very often, but after going there for awhile we have gotten to see their real side (not the oh damn im at work, but the oh hey a regular).

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Got food poisoning from them. Avoid like the plague.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook