“Diner-Style Comfort Food”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The 12th Avenue Cafe' has the look and feel of a diner, and overall the food is pretty good. They're open for breakfast, which didn't look fancy, but it covers all the good stuff. However, we arrived later for lunch; and though we were immediately offered coffee (good sign!), we were planning on a different meal.

The lunch menu has burgers, sandwiches and the like. Nothing fancy, and while they do have salads, you're not coming here for healthy eating. With four of us in our party, we got a good variety of lunch items. Most of it was pretty good -- the garden salad was excellent, as were the sandwiches and soup we ordered. During out visit, we had a choice of French Onion Soup and Clam Chowder -- both are quite good. On the other hand, the fried halibut wasn't fresh and wasn't all that. It's a fairly thin filet, so you mostly taste the fried and not the fish. I'd stay away. When you order a sandwich or burger, you get a nice choice of sides including soup, salad, fries, spuds, etc. It's somewhat pricey for diner food, but the portions are excellent and the area is relatively expensive anyway. In 2013, the basic sandwich menu is $10.45, side included.

Overall, we were happy with our experience. Not sure that's what we wanted when we arrived, but decided to stick around and (except for the halibut) were happy to have eaten there.

There are newer reviews for 12th Avenue Cafe

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We just got back from Cancun Mexico and the first thing on our minds was to get breakfast at 12th Avenue Cafe for our usual breakfast. The Montana & Italian Omelet (to die for)!!!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The waitstaff and employees are friendly and helpful. This is a pretty small place with lots of breakfast business. My husband and I both had their specials. My uncheck was tough and not very good. My husband's corned beef was not so good either. I don't think we will be returning.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just the right type of food for someone whom enjoys food for the more simple pallet and Breakfast type!!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Diner decor and menu. The staff was nice and attentive. The floors are absolutely filthy and the water cups had chipped edges. I asked for a straw.

I had breakfast (served all day) and my hubby had the lunch special. We just drank water and paid about $24 including tip. The biscuit was dry, the bacon was tough, and the potatoes were still hard. The eggs were great, I ate all the eggs. My hubby had an open-faced turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. He ate all of his, but said it was only because he was starving.

The decor is dated, but I overheard the staff talking about an upcoming remodel. One guy was even walking around with a tape measure, which was a little off-putting. Maybe they will be better after that.

1  Thank Kim M