“Great restaurant - we'll be back!”
Review of Pelicano - CLOSED

Pelicano
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Local, fresh seafood. Classic and innovative cocktails. Great port view. Menu changes monthly to reflect current local catch & seasonal produce. Helpful, caring service from our wonderful staff. Everything we serve, including the bread and pastry, is made by hand in our kitchen.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a good meal on our second attempt to get in. This is a popular place and needs a reservation... At least in the summer. I started with an excellent martini. Small but interesting wine list. Wife had a sparkling vouvray which she liked. We shared a bottle of Cabernet Franc from Chinon in the Loire Valley. Excellent choice. Wife loved the crab cakes. I started with a nice Caesar salad which which had a history similar to others I have enjoyed over the years, that is former sous chefs of a long closed restaurant remember and replicate the recipe. My wife really enjoyed the pasta which had a delightful pesto flavor. I had a Catalan fish stew which was amazing! The pot de creme with sea salt was a great finish. We were mostly served by one of the owners but there are several competent servers. It was busy but everything seemed under control. It is not a cheap dinner but with a choice of sizes for many dishes you can control some of the costs. Quality costs and the prices are not out of line for restaurants in the area. We were pleased to have finally tried this great restaurant.

1  Thank jamesccasterline

Reviewed August 26, 2012

It’s funny living in Seattle, I sometimes take the foodie thing for granted when I travel, expecting nothing more than adequate food and service, however; I was amazed at a recent find. The Pelicano Restaurant not only impressed it exceeded my expectations by not only being innovative with the menu but creating dishes that tasted as fresh and pleasing as the presentation. Now that is hard to do these days too many restaurants just want to feed you, at the Pelicano Restaurant it isn’t just about feeding you it is about an experience in dining, where can you find that now a days; mostly overrated chefs with deep pockets try without much success to create an experience. Even if you’re not into food you’ll appreciate the care taken in the preparation of your meal, the presentation and most of all the flavors and freshness, what else can you ask for at a restaurant? I write very few reviews; on my trip to the Long Beach Peninsula will be an exception; who would have guessed there are hidden gems still in the culinary world? I was told by the staff they change the menu every month keeping with seasonal fresh items adding some unique twists to the menu items. One other thing I noticed was the owners haven’t spent large sums of money creating a visual atmosphere of course not needed when you’re on the bay, none the less some restaurants cover short comings by creating an atmosphere to disguise the lacking of proper food balance and presentation it is obvious the chef owner of this restaurant knows what is important, not flash but substance. With that being said I don’t want to paint a negative picture of the restaurant, it is tastefully done (no pun intended) with simple décor and atmosphere which seems to be more than adequate when you start the meal, who cares or even will notice once you start your dinner, my first bite of the Caesar salad blew me away and it was only the start of the meal, my main course was a simple pasta dish presented with the flair of an artist, finally dessert all I’ll say about the dessert is it should be considered a sin! Way over the top, some of the diners at my table ordered different desserts, had I had the mindset I’d of ordered one of each just because each was as good as the other, what a way to close a spectacular evening. With food, service and good friends or a loved one you can’t possibly go wrong at this restaurant, I don’t care how you’re feeling when you enter this restaurant you’ll leave happy, excited and celebrating a great meal! I was telling my associates in Seattle about this restaurant today and if Ilwaco wasn’t a three hour drive from Seattle I’d drive down just for dinner. If you visit the Long Beach Peninsula and don’t visit here you’ll miss a true culinary experience.

1  Thank michaelcetc
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Awesome meal - and frankly quite a surprise! My wife and I came to Ilwaco with another couple by boat and selected Pelicano because it was right at the harbour. The food was absolutely excellent. The chef was creative - but not overly so. Good value and appropriate portions.

2  Thank Bob98662
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Shelly and her husband Jeff have owned this restaurant for a few years. It's on the marina in Ilwaco. Nice view, but the really great part is the feeling of being part of their family. And the food? Really good. Ended up last night with a starter of the White Bean Soup with fresh tomatoes and pesto oil, and the Greek Salad with Shrimp. Both were really good. I love the fact that you can order, for many of the dishes, either the full size or smaller size plates. Being careful on my diet, I really like that. My bride had the green salad followed by the Bean Soup, my son-in-law had a fabulous plate of rockfish on greens, my daughter had the seafood stew, while our two friends had beautiful pan friend oysters. All was super fresh and delicious. This is one of our favorite spots on the Long Beach Peninsula. Do yourselves a favor and go!

1  Thank grapdad
Reviewed August 17, 2012

First off, when we had to wait a tiny bit (15 -20 min) with a reservation, they gave us drinks. Nobody at home (in Dallas) ever offers a drink for waiting, so I was pretty happy! We ordered the oyster appetizer, a salmon entree and a rockfish entree. They were all fabulous. Then we had the whiskey cheesecake. It was very good....to me it was like a mix between key lime pie, cheesecake and custard. They aren't afraid of strong flavors here. The oysters had a heavy bacon flavor, rockfish was a heavy basil, and the cheesecake had some tart and sweet citrus. And walking the marina to look at the boats afterward was a bonus.

1  Thank Bruiserfan