“I loved the people and the wines!!!”
Review of Wind River Cellars - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wind River Cellars
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My wife and I with a few friends were in Portland when we decided to try some Washington wines, our favorite of all the wineries was Wind River Cellars. The winemaker was absolutely hilarious! He was so quick witted and funny that I actually accidently spit wine on my wife's blouse. I think that sometimes people who go to wineries feel they should be reverent and it should be an experience like the theater, however it's refreshing to experience laughs, great wines and friends at a place like Wind River Cellars. And we actually bought a couple of cases of the Cabernet and the Tempranillo, and he waived the tasting fees. By the way we are from Texas and our friends from Kansas City and Pittsburg.

3  Thank frpharmboy

Reviewed August 24, 2010

I visited Wind River Cellars and had such a good time. The view from the deck was breathtaking, the wine was really good and the owner was helpful to anwer my questions about wine but let me come to my own conclusions about what I thought each one tasted like or how they were different from each other. The negative comments in the other reviews does not fit the atmosphere I experienced, which was a tasting room and deck full of people having fun interacting with Joel and spending several hours there. There was even one party that had come back after visiting on a previous vacation because they had such a pleasant experience. I think people should lighten up a little.

4  Thank OKRunner44
Reviewed May 14, 2010

This was my first time to this area and the winery setting was beautiful. I had a wonderful time. Yes, the owner is a bit of a jokester, but I laughed, enjoyed myself and gave it right back to him. Wine was great. Sitting and taking it the amazing view was so peaceful. And sometimes amazing views require a bit of an effort...did not mind the road up at all. I will for sure go back.

3  Thank lsanborn
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Wind River Cellars seemed to be the ideal place to go for a wine tasting, just ten miles or so north of the Columbia River. The picturesque location, however, could not mask the incredible abrasiveness of the owner, his awful treatment of guests, and sadly his mediocre wine. He somehow managed to complain on and on (unprompted) about how "sideweays" had ruined Merlot, then in the same breath told us that our choice of his very own Merlot was stupid. He could not sell his own whine. This provincial owner repeatedly insulted us and seemed generally offended that we had come to see his place. We could not taste his swill because we were already drowning in his pompous arrogance. Wind River Cellars gives a bad name to wine in the pacific northwest. Do not go here. It will ruin your day.

10  Thank Littlemiami
Reviewed October 29, 2009

this is a winery to avoid the winemaker and owner is a real jerk and his wines are not that good at all muddy road to get to winery can't he fix that. a tasting fee of $10 for his wines are really too much. there was a really nice winery here before named Hooper Family Winery and when we told the current owner we liked his wines he said they were crap. i feel this way after all these years i still remember this Hooper Winery but can even remember his wines they were that forgetable. nobody should visit this winery at all.

4  Thank geegee60