“Rustic, authentic, spectacular”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hoodsport
Lake Cushman Resort
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Know that you are not going to the Lake Cushman Resort expecting flower petals and bonbons to adorn your white bedspread. Know that you must bring your cooking utentils, plates, etc...Don't expect remodeled elegance at your Great Depression era cabin. Expect instead rusticity and a timeworn connection to generations of fishermen and families going back decades. If you seek solitude, wait till midweek and even more so after Labor Day or before the end of the school year. You are, after all, near Bremerton, Tacoma and Seattle. But there are few place where you are so close to the city and so close to the heart of the Olympic Mountains, where you can sit on a terrace and sip a beer or a cup of coffee, read or daydream within a stone throw of craggy and massive Mount Washington. And if you feel like it, either motor up the lake for more spectacular scenery or paddle to one of the coves where in the crystal clear water you'll spot dozens of salamanders. Lake Cushman is a reservoir which draws down in the fall and fills up in the spring. Depending when you go, the water level could be low exposing a rim of rocks. In a nutshell, if you seek rusticity and authenticity and plan for a quiet visit, this is your kind of place in the Olympic Mountains

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin #10 which is not on the lake. Cabin #7 is remote and on a bluff and offers spect...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Lake Cushman Resort

Reviewed June 19, 2011

This year my husband and I have decided instead of a major trip, that we would take a 4 day weekend camping trip each month, this months was at Lake Cushman Resort in Washington State. I had camped year several years ago with my kids and had a great time, so we decided to go back.

When I called to make the reservation I spoke with a wonderful woman on the phone. I explained what I was looking for, our tent is on the large side, 10 x 16, and that we liked a bit of privacy, and was looking forward to a relaxing weekend away. She told me she had the perfect spot for us, and that while there were people above us and below us, no one was at eye level, perfect!! I booked and paid for the spot right away.

We arrived Thursday afternoon, it was mostly empty, but we expected it since most people still had to work Friday, our first stop was the restrooms, long drive and all. There is one restroom for each, mens and womans, as well as one shower. for each. They needed some repair, but seemed clean enough and stocked with the appropriate paper supplies.

We checked in, and the same woman that I had spoke to on the phone helped us to checked in, and pointed the way to the campsite. Registration is in the little store which was well stocked with anything that someone might forget. You can also buy wood and ice here, the prices are on par with anything you might get anywhere else.

On the way to our campsite, one thing jump out at me in a glaring fashion, Port-a-Potties everywhere. About 1 to every 2 campsites, some had two. I am not a fan of Port-a-Potties, not in the least and wasn't thrilled, but I could see why they needed them. But I must say, they were very well maintained.

The campsite was everything she said it was and we were quite pleased. The only thing that was different about the campsite is the fire ring is an old Semi-Truck wheel, odd but it worked. However, there are no grates on them, so if you had planned to cook on it like we did, you are out of luck, good thing I brought the propane stove as well.

After setting up our site we walked around to get a lay of the land, or Lake. The Lake happens to be very low this year. But non the less very beautiful. Thursday night was a very peaceful, and relaxing night, little did we know that was all about to change.

Early afternoon on Friday things changed, the campsite above us was occupied by several groups, it was a group site after all. Thing is, they played their music loudly from the time they got there, well into the night. They allowed their dogs to roam around and bark constantly, and then started the wonderful game of beer pong. With beer pong, only two things come from it, loud cheering, and people who have had to much, visiting the bushes between the two sites.

The campsite below us was occupied by a young couple that obviously didn't care for the music of the other group, so they played their country music very loud and late, with the truck running and headlights going.

Several of the resort employees drove by and never said a word. When I mentioned it to the people in the store, they didn't seem to care, just smiled and nodded. The rules don't seem to be enforced, such as the quiet time rules, the loud music rule, or the dogs off their leash and roaming at will rule. Our neighbors dog wasn't the only dog roaming around free.

It was more of the same on Saturday. I have never wanted to get home so badly as I did from here. I need a nap. I feel more tired then when I left.

Lake Cushman is a beautiful spot, I would go again if I was going for a party atmosphere, but not for a relaxing weekend away for some peace and quiet, away from the craziness of life. When we got home I related our trip to my 23 yo son, his sole comment was, "Everyone knows that Cushman is a party campground."

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Talus731
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We drove 2100 miles with Lake Cushman resort as our final destination. I have family in Tacoma and Seattle so they all came to the lake to see us and we had campfires every night. The cabins are just fine for cooking, sleeping, showering, watching direct TV. Plenty of hot water. No microwave, though. Bring an extension cord, you might need it for extra plug-ins. Lake is beautiful, we took a short drive to the Olympic National Park and hiked throught the enormous Douglas fir trees.
This was a good place to convene with the family and make meals.
It was crowded when we were there and we had Cabin 6; located on the roadway to other cabins and campsites, so there was a lot of dust and hustle-bustle all day, but we did not mind so much. You can buy firewood, beer, wine and food stuffs at the general store.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank peggymalone
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Just got back from a group trip to Lake Cushman. We rented cabins 11&12 which are ups away from the lake. The cabins are rather old and dusty, but work for those who don't want to submit to a tent. The lake is beautiful, but there is not really a beach, just a dock to launch a boat or step onto your inflatable. There are nice hiking trails nearby as well. The staff was more than friendly and the general store has everything you can think of at reasonable prices for any "just in case I forgot" scenarios. Overall good experience and wouldn't mind coming back for a cheap lake getaway.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank mlj531
Reviewed May 20, 2010

We went to Lake Cushman Resort expecting a relaxing stay in a rustic cabin in a beautiful outdoor setting. Instead, when we opened the door to our cabin, we found dead BEES on the floor. The walls were covered in GRIME and the cabin had the overall appearance of something from a bad Chevy Chase movie. The place must have been built in the 1950s! There were holes in the walls, the furnace didn't work, etc. Worst of all, there were MICE crawling around in the walls! We couldn't sleep at all. After our first night, we awoke to find MOUSE TURDS in our frying pan! We complained to the manager and she denied everything, saying that they were only squirrels and she has many return customers. She refused to refund our money. At $100 a night, this place was not only a RIP OFF, but a complete NIGHTMARE! So much for our Mother's Day weekend.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Misty H
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We loved the rustic cabins and the connecting rooms. The staff was great and the areas where clean. Very minimal but we could not have asked for a better weekend. We will be goign back soon and bringing more friends.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This is the second year in a row that we've celebrated Valentine's Day at this resort. It's very cozy and intimate if you want it to be. Otherwise, there is plenty of hiking and other outdoor activities to partake in! Don't forget to bring all the kitchen and cooking utensils if you'll be staying in - pots, pans, plates, utensils, paper towels, can openers, etc.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoodsport
Robin Hood Village Resort
#1 of 1 in Belfair
No photo provided
Shelton Inn
#3 of 4 in Shelton

Been to Lake Cushman Resort? Share your experiences!