“I enjoyed this very much. It's near Granite Falls, WA.”
Review of Big Four Ice Caves

Reviewed January 3, 2013

When I went, there was a waterfall at the back of the cave. I was warned that my camera may get wet, so I covered it with plastic (except for the lens, of course). I got some very eerie looking images. Beware that ice water rains on you, and that there is water under and around the rocks under your feet. It is only a short walk from the parking lot to the ice caves, so you don't have to hike a mountain to see it!

1  Thank BothellPhotoGal
There are newer reviews for Big Four Ice Caves

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Ice caves are a wonderful way to spend the day in the mountains. Interesting natural formation and always fun

1  Thank MarySEverett_Wa
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Enter at your own risk. Most people hike here for the views from outside the caves, as is recommended. The trail isn't too difficult, but be prepared to carry your little ones. Bring water and layer your clothes.

1  Thank Ford1967
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you're debating about going...GO! Yes, even in late October, there is still ice. The one mile trail is very well maintained, with a gentle 200 ft elevation gain. A new sturdy aluminum bridge allows you to cross the raging Stillaguamish River with ease. Be sure to check the weather ahead of time, unlike dummy me, not thinking about the 1,900 ft elevation. After leaving balmy Seattle, we arrived to an inch of slushy snow that we were not quite dressed for, but the fresh snow made the scenery 10 times more amazing. This is a photographer's playground, but please use extreme caution in the area.

There are 2 parking areas, the first is a picnic area, and a 1/4 mile down is the trailhead parking, both have restrooms (waterless toilets.) The restrooms in the picnic area were well maintained; the trailhead parking area was closed at the time we went.

1  Thank DJ_Jazzy_Joy
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a wonderful example of how well maintained our national parks can be. This is a well groomed mountain trail, an easy walk/hike for all ages. The end of the trail brings you to the ice caves, after walking through a scenic nature trail. You walk past evidence of nature's fury though, with signs of avalanche damage along several places on the trail. The warning signs for avalanches are present, and I'm glad I made the trek in the fall! The ice caves are amazing, lying at the base of a mountain. I find it amazing that they are present year round, even after a very warm, dry summer! There is steady traffic walking on the path leading to the ice caves, but we didn't find it overly crowded. There are numerous warnings of the dangers of getting too close to the ice caves. Falling ice and collapses inside the tunnels are possible. Even with those warnings, there were a lot of people going inside the tunnels and standing inside the mouths of the caves. I would definitely recommend the hike in, especially if you love nature at its best, or enough nature photography. There is a national parks fee, but parking is abundant and free.

1  Thank Kat S