“Old infrastructure”
Review of Mt Baker Ski Area

Mt Baker Ski Area
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Glacier
More attraction details
Owner description: Glaciers, crevasses and snowy pinnacles make this area a challenge for skiers.
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Old infrastructure”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The ski area is nice with lots of snow, but it has the worst infrastructure I have ever seen.

The lifts are old do not have safety bars so I was quite stressed riding it and I saw a number of accidents (even a small kids falling of the lifts). The lifts also shake sometimes, especially when stopped, which happened almost every ride for some reason. It takes 10 minutes to ride this unsafe lift, but only 3-5 minutes to go down from their short beginners trails. The map was good, but signs on the resort were quite confusing and some of us got lost and accidentally skied through black trails. It was especially hard to get from one mountain to the other for non-experts and people visiting this area for the first time. Also, it was not easy to get to the lifts from the parking lot and other trails.

On the other hand,we really like the weather and the view on top of the mountain. We rented a nice house and it was located 20 mins from the mountain, probably one of the closest lodgings. However,it is not worth the price and we are not coming back until they upgrade the resort's infrastructure.

Visited December 2013
8 Thank Natalia848

Banff, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“I'll never return”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Terrain: Pretty average. For a resort that's mainly below the treeline there was a surprising lack of good gladed terrain.

Snow: Awful. We had bad luck with the conditions, but ended up with a foot of wet slush in the middle of March that wasn't worth $5, let alone $50.

Resort: Lots of old, slow chairs. There's something nice about a rustic old time resort. This isn't it.

Customer Service: Non-existent. We tried to get a snowcheque to return the next day, as we didn't want to spend the day getting rained on and skiing in heavy slush. The ski patrol we spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem at guest services. We spoke to Mike, the mountain manager, who explained that you have to decide before you buy, and they're not interested if conditions are poor. He also explained that the area they take the snow report from was an area that wasn't even open that day. Not sure exactly how you're supposed to make an informed decision when the snow report is from an area of the hill that is closed.

Management: The worst! Sent an e-mail to the operations manager, Gwyn Howat, about our experiences over a month ago. Followed up twice before I got a reply saying I hadn't been ignored (here's a hint: If I wait 3 weeks for a response and have to follow up twice to get one then I am being ignored!), and she would like to discuss my issues further on the phone. I suggested some times and passed on my phone number. 8 days and 2 more e-mails later, and I'm still waiting!

Conclusion: Don't bother. I know I won't, ever again.

9 Thank elnormous
Seattle, Washington
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Ski to the limit”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

the skiing was awesome and the lodge had some pretty good food. it is entertaining for both beginners and experts. If you stay in a lodge near the skiing you can also play in the snow. Sadly the chair lift doesn,t have maximum security.

2 Thank MSeattle1970
Strongsville, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Time at Baker”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

As a rider from Ohio I was stoked about going to Mt. Baker. I will say the journey up the mountain was icy even in 4 x 4 SUV, however, it made it more interesting. The size of Baker is amazing. As others have said the crowds are very low and I did not wait at all other than when the lift first open and then only 5 minutes or so. The amount of untracked snow was epic, I got my lesson in powder legs. Although it is an hour away from Bellingham, I cant wait to return. A true snowboarders resort.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Powdersurfer
Newington, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Maine on steroids”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

No lines, tons of snow, groomers, trees, cliffs, canyons, easy back country access. Coming from the east coast, I was floored. What you get for what you pay blew my mind. The place has it all and I never had to wait in line once. Could've easily spent a couple weeks exploring the resort and back country. Apparently you can rent avalanche gear on your way to the mountain as well as split boards which would've really opened up a lot of terrain. If you're thinking of going, go!!!!