“I'll never return” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mt Baker Ski Area

Mt Baker Ski Area
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Glacier
More attraction details
Owner description: Glaciers, crevasses and snowy pinnacles make this area a challenge for skiers.
Banff, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“I'll never return”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Terrain: Pretty average. For a resort that's mainly below the treeline there was a surprising lack of good gladed terrain.

Snow: Awful. We had bad luck with the conditions, but ended up with a foot of wet slush in the middle of March that wasn't worth $5, let alone $50.

Resort: Lots of old, slow chairs. There's something nice about a rustic old time resort. This isn't it.

Customer Service: Non-existent. We tried to get a snowcheque to return the next day, as we didn't want to spend the day getting rained on and skiing in heavy slush. The ski patrol we spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem at guest services. We spoke to Mike, the mountain manager, who explained that you have to decide before you buy, and they're not interested if conditions are poor. He also explained that the area they take the snow report from was an area that wasn't even open that day. Not sure exactly how you're supposed to make an informed decision when the snow report is from an area of the hill that is closed.

Management: The worst! Sent an e-mail to the operations manager, Gwyn Howat, about our experiences over a month ago. Followed up twice before I got a reply saying I hadn't been ignored (here's a hint: If I wait 3 weeks for a response and have to follow up twice to get one then I am being ignored!), and she would like to discuss my issues further on the phone. I suggested some times and passed on my phone number. 8 days and 2 more e-mails later, and I'm still waiting!

Conclusion: Don't bother. I know I won't, ever again.

9 Thank elnormous

Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Ski to the limit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

the skiing was awesome and the lodge had some pretty good food. it is entertaining for both beginners and experts. If you stay in a lodge near the skiing you can also play in the snow. Sadly the chair lift doesn,t have maximum security.

2 Thank MSeattle1970
Strongsville, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Time at Baker”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

As a rider from Ohio I was stoked about going to Mt. Baker. I will say the journey up the mountain was icy even in 4 x 4 SUV, however, it made it more interesting. The size of Baker is amazing. As others have said the crowds are very low and I did not wait at all other than when the lift first open and then only 5 minutes or so. The amount of untracked snow was epic, I got my lesson in powder legs. Although it is an hour away from Bellingham, I cant wait to return. A true snowboarders resort.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Powdersurfer
Newington, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Maine on steroids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

No lines, tons of snow, groomers, trees, cliffs, canyons, easy back country access. Coming from the east coast, I was floored. What you get for what you pay blew my mind. The place has it all and I never had to wait in line once. Could've easily spent a couple weeks exploring the resort and back country. Apparently you can rent avalanche gear on your way to the mountain as well as split boards which would've really opened up a lot of terrain. If you're thinking of going, go!!!!

Richmond, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome mountain.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose to go in March so that the mountain would be less busy and we were right. Never waiting more than a few minutes to get on the chair lift. Lots of friendly people, they had an outdoor band playing so that you could enjoy them either as you came down to the base of the mountain or when you were sitting outside watching everyone come down. Great time!