“Great Mexican Cuisine in the Pacific Northwest” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 115 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Meridian, ID
“Great Mexican Cuisine in the Pacific Northwest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Normally, I expect a Mexican restaurant in a tourist area outside of the Southwest to pay little attention to true ethnic cooking. Tacos are ground beef in commercial shells and anything wrapped in a flour tortilla pays more homage to a salad in a wrap than it does to true Mexican preparation. Happily, Puerto Vallarta is the exact opposite! I knew I had a winner when most of the staff spoke Spanish and the extensive menu had many of the dishes I grew up with. My rellenos were perfectly prepared, the salsas were fresh and lively and each dish my companions ordered was met with true relish. Even the flan we enjoyed for dessert was fresh, firm and coated in a caramel sauce of exactly the correct viscosity.

I look forward to eating here again on my next trip to the Gig Harbor area!

• Visited June 2012

Fox Island, Washington
“not authentic at all”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

The food was bland and runny with too much sauce. The steak tacos had a plastic flavor like they had been kept under plastic wrap in a microwave. There was plenty of cheese but nothing tasted cheesy - how is that possible? Service was acceptable and friendly but the food was very disappointing.

Port Orchard, Washington
“The only good Mexican food in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I've tried most of the things on the menu. Puerto Vallarta is not the worlds best Mexican food. But, it's competitive with the big brand Mexican Restaurants adapted to American tastes. We come here about once a month. Periodically, we try other Mexican Restaurants in the area and always find both the service and food much worse than Puerto Vallarta. Yes, I've been to better Mexican restuarants, but not in the general area.

• Visited November 2011
Gig Harbor, Washington
“The food is terrible.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We took the family out for a Saturday night meal last week to Puerto Vallarta. The restsurant was busy, but the staff was friendly and we were seated fairly quickly. The first indication of a problem we had was a warning on the menu: "Our enchilada sauce contains peanut butter."
I was skeptical, but thought I'd try anyway. The food was absolutely awful, and not just the enchiladas. It was the blandest excuse for Mexican food I've ever tried - no taste at all. They try to compensate by serving very large portions, but more of a bad thing is just worse.
The hand made tortillas were very good, but all the meats and sauces were all but inedible.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“It'll do, good. Nice portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

The food tastes good, granted I have only tried 5 different items that include enchilladas, tamale, tacos, etc. When you walk in you see the tortilla cooker, which is neat if it is used. The staff are always polite, and service is good. Usually wait is nothing to complain about. Food is good, not the best, but good. Typical menu and chips served when your seated. Price is average 8 to 16 for dinner, lunch is maybe a couple bucks less. My wife and I usually split the meal as it is very filling. I would recommend.