“Prime Rib for Thanksgiving? Yes, Please!”
Review of Brix 25

Brix 25
Reserve with OpenTable
Brix 25 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 118 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Judson
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The Spousal Unit (SU) and I wanted to go out for Thanksgiving Dinner this year, and decided to give Brix 25 a try. Although I had visions of a traditional turkey dinner, my Spousal Unit wanted more options. Turned out that Brix 25's interpretation of the turkey dinner contained stuff I don't really care for, so we both decided to give the prime rib a shot. I enjoyed mine a lot; It was served medium rare, as I had specified, and was a very nice hunk of meat. SU ordered hers "medium", but it was only slightly less rare than mine. Still tasty, but not perfect. Sides of "haricot verts" (French style green beans, y'all) were sauteed with onion and boar bacon, which gave 'em a unique flavor. We both liked the outcome. Mashed potatoes with a horseradish/pepper cream sauce was subtle. I really enjoyed a starter of "Poke", which is Ahi, marinated in soy, ginger, and other Hawaiian flavors; best version I've had on the mainland!
As a nod to the holiday, I tried Brix 25's version of pumpkin pie. Unfortunately, I have to rate it in the bottom third of all slices of pumpkin pie I have eaten; the crust was soggy and bland, the filling was likewise forgettable. On the other hand, the coffee was bold and delicious.
Service from start to finish was superb, which ensured Brix 25 got a "Very Good" rating overall.
By the way, I did benefit from SU's slight disappointment with her prime rib, as she brought a big piece of it home...which I appropriated for a magnificent prime rib, mushroom, and swiss cheese omelet this morning!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had Thanksgiving dinner at Brix, our first time there, and will be going back! The charred romaine salad was phenomenal, perfectly dressed and just charred enough to make it so much more than a generic caesar salad. The market soup was a very unique butternut squash...Peggy didn't care for it, but I thought it was fantastic. Two butters on offer - a plum butter and a chipotle butter. I'm normally not a fan of flavored butters, as too often chefs try too hard and leave the flavors overpowering...these were the exception; still a rich, creamy butter flavor, but markably well done hints of either flavoring. Our entrees were spectacular. Peggy had a smoked mozzarella bolognese that was heavy, al dente, and had a nicely building spiciness. My "heritage piggy duo" was a masterpiece, and I don't use that term lightly. Two types of well prepared high quality ham, with a small dose of blue cheese, poached pears, and a parsnip puree that completely transformed my biased negativity about such purees. The by-the-pour Malbec was a perfect accompaniment. Dessert continued in this vein, with Peggy having an exceptionally not-to-sweet mint nudge, and me enjoying a semi-deconstructed tiramisu (ladyfinger crepes and coffee liqueur pour?!!). Good, semi-pricey, can't wait to go back. Only cons really were Peggy's feeling about the soup, an inordinate number of children (but it was thanksgiving, and they were well behaved), the vibe (kind of a storefront), and the need for better labels for their restrooms. Minor, minor, details. Go.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Nice place, with a small flute of champagne served (on the house) upon arrival. Roomy and comfortable, with friendly and knowledgeable servers. The house specialty, Beef Bourguignon (made with short ribs) is delicious, but the portion is small, and it was served over good tasting but cold garlic mashed potatoes. The "Flatiron Steak" was also a small portion of what appeared to be sirloin, not a high quality, well-marbled or particularly tender cut. Although cooked as ordered it was tough and dry and could have benefited from a bit more seasoning. The double pork chop, ordered well done, was served medium at best, and again...could have used a bit more seasoning. The polenta on which it was served was a waste of space on the plate. I wanted to like Brix 25 a lot more than I did. It's not awful, but at such a pricy establishment I expect much better food with more attention to preparation and more generous portions.

1  Thank SoFla1947
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have been going to Brix 25 for nearly 4 years now. They have changed chefs/ownership a few times, but it is once again a great restaurant. They often have specials, which are always worth getting. Their menu changes occasionally with new dishes added. My all time favorite dish was their sea bass. You are always serviced a complimentary glass of bubbly upon arrival. They have a good wine list, also. Service has always been good for us.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

All food was wonderful, but the highlight of our 4 days in and around Gig Harbor was this restaurant and the best dish was the halibut. Really wanted to go back the next night but we made a mistake and went to the Green Turtle instead (pretentious and overpriced--but that's another review).