“Veggie Balls Rule!”
Review of Gateway to India

Gateway to India
Reserve with OpenTable
Gateway to India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 117 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Tacoma
“Veggie Balls Rule!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I get an insane craving for this place about once a month. Both this and the Tacoma location have the best Indian food I've ever had. I'll start with the basics. The ambiance is nice. It's comfortable with cool lamps everywhere, nicely furnished. The prices are very average - $10 - $15 per entree. Their lunch buffet is a really good deal, especially if they have the Malai Kofta. The service is always very good, quick and unobtrusive.

What to order:
I've never had anything I didn't like there, but following is my dream meal at Gateway to India:

Appetizer:
All the meals come with Lentil soup - it's yummy
Order the Spinach Naan. It's light but incredibly flavorful and is great dipped in the soup. You'll be tempted to get the cheese naan. Even though I am a big fan of cheese, I recommend going with the plain Spinach Naan. But this is a free country and do what you will. If you must have cheese, get the Spinach cheese Naan. OMG, yummy.

Appetizer Honorable Mention: The Pappadum are these super thin cracker things and they come with a cilantro chutney for only $2.50! Good deal and they're tasty.

Entree:
Malai Kofta. These are vegetable dumpling sorta things (Veggie Balls) in the creamy tomato sauce that they use for the Tikka Masala. Sooooooo Good. You will think you'd rather have the murgh tikka masala (chicken tikka masala) and you will love that if you get it, but you will be missing out on the BEST meal they have - the Malai Kofta. My meat loving friends have all had order envy when they taste my veggie balls. Plus, what's not awesome about saying Veggie Balls?

Entree Honorable Mentions: The Murgh Tikka Masala is phenomenal. Tandoor Murgha is also really good, especially if you want something less rich.

Drink:
Mai Tai. They make the best Mai Tai's I've ever had. They are delicious and addictive and expensive, but this is my dream meal so I'm getting two of them.

Drink Honorable Mention: They also have the best Chai Tea I've found in Gig Harbor (though Devoted Kiss is a close second.)

Other: The Spicy Pickles are weird but I love them anyway. They come in a small bowl and you can only eat like a nibble at a time because they're so strong. They help cleanse the palette and they're just a neat part of the whole experience. Also really cheap.

Rice - Most of the meals come with rice and it's very good, crave-inducing rice. It's white and perfect.

Dessert - I've never had dessert there because I'm too full but their mango pudding and pistachio ice cream sounds wonderful.

Summary - I highly recommend this place, it's one of my favorite restaurants in all of Gig Harbor :)

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank lololives

Silverdale, WA
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was our first time to dine at Gateway to India. First, our water was served without ice, which wouldn't have been a problem if the water had been chilled, but it was warm! My husband asked for some ice, and the waiter immediately returned with a pitcher of water that was brimming with ice. Why not serve the ice water to begin with? The mango lassi my husband ordered was served in a very small glass - we've had mango lassis in many Indian restaurants, and the amount is always generous. Not here.
The lentil soup that came with our dinners was unbelievably hot - fiery hot! When I told the waiter so, his response was "Interesting." He then proceeded to tell us that it was "mild-plus," which was utterly laughable. I can't believe that it is normally served at that degree of spiciness, because it set our mouths and throats on fire; it was definitely "hot" or "hot-plus!"
Our main dishes, which we requested to be mild, were almost too mild. The chicken korma was bland - tasted merely of tomato. Not the deliciously flavorful sauce that we expect when we order korma dishes. Likewise, the saag paneer was not very tasty. The two waiters were Caucasian, something I have not seen before in an Indian restaurant, and I was left to wonder if the cooks were also white and "playing it by ear" as far as Indian cooking goes.

Visited August 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Indian Food experience”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Last minute decision to go for Indian turned into a very memorable night. Beautifully decorated inside, staff attentive and knowledgeable about the menu choices, plenty of food for the price, nicely served, and oh so delicious!!

Visited May 2014
Port Orchard, Washington
“Gateway Gig Harbor”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We are never disappointed with this restaurant, an extension of the original Gateway to India in Tacoma. The pride of the owners for good food and service is well earned. Although we like the ambience of the Tacoma restaurant better, the quality of food and service is equally high. I recommend the Murgh Korma highly.

Visited December 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Indian Food”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The restaurant is right next door to the Wesley Inn , Best Western. You can walk there. The food was excellent, the service was very good, and friendly.It is not on the main drag, and mostly locals only know where it is. You didn't have to wait long, the garlic naan was to die for. The menu is similar to a restaurant we were in in Delhi!

Visited May 2014