“It was okay”

The INN at Gig Harbor
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gig Harbor
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My husband and I wanted to do a couple of days get away and wanted a room witha a jacuzzi tub for two.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Even though at times you had to wait on them for 10-15mins, since they momentarily stepped away.

The Restaurant breakfast was great, they gave you tickets to get a couple of dollars off menu items or the complimentary breakfast. We waited on the waitress for about 10 mins. before we got to order our food. The wait staff was not very attentive. The food however was great, my husband had the heritage breakfast with steak gravy and biscuits and I had the Pikes place omelette. Yummy!!!

The room was average, the carpet was not vacuumed, we called for a maid to service it. The bed was extremely uncomfortable to sleep in as it had a pillowtopper that keep slidding off of the mattress. It was comfortable if you just wanted to lie on it to relax, but not sleep. The bathroom was large with huge shower and the bath was great. I always brings my own cleaning supplies and it came in handy since the tile around the jacuzzi tub had mold spots. They didn't have room service per say, you called into the resturant and went down to pick it up. My husband loved his burger and I had the crab cakes ( it was okay) was a little pricey for the quantity of dinner.

Kings rooms are on the hwy side and someone keep knocking on the door and the people above us were stomping on the floor on our last night.

Hotel is not that wonderful for the price wepaid.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the Inn. The staff was great, very helpful and friendly. We had a family suite which was very large and plenty of room for 4 of us. The beds were so comfortable and we had an oustanding view of Mount Ranier. Our room was on the front part of the Inn, the noise from the highway was minimal, certainly not a problem. The restaurant serves a wonderful breakfast in the morning. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2008

My husband and I spent one night at the Inn at Gig Harbor while visiting family nearby. We used to live in Tacoma across the Narrows Bridge, so wanted to see the area again. When my husband made the reservation he was told there were no rooms available with King beds, but when we arrived I asked and there was a room available. We were able to switch.
The Inn rooms are clean and have all the basic amenities, including complimentary bottled water (also apples at the front desk). The bed was ok, but not particularly comfortable. It was as some TA reviewers have said a bit hard.
The main issue we had was with noise at night. You can hear the doors slamming in the hallway...they close with a loud bang. We usually try to use the room AC fan to create "white noise" when in hotels but the fan in this room didn't make much noise. The room window looked out over a lower rooftop with air vents. The hotel is next to a freeway, with no nice views.
The desk staff were friendly, but tended to hang out in the back office. Once I had to ring a bell to get someone's attention at the desk while another customer and I were waiting to be helped.
The free continental breakfast is served in the main restaurant and it was a pleasant surprise, with sweet breads, fruit, juice, yogurt, coffee/tea, and some other choices. The waitress takes your orders and serves the table. She was very nice and chatted with us.

Overall I'd say the rooms are overpriced for what you get. With our AAA discount it was still around $130/night. Perhaps they can charge that for the Gig Harbor area, but we'll look elsewhere the next time we're visiting.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2008

I visit my family in Gig Harbor every year during the holidays. This time I stayed at the Inn at Gig Harbor. The staff at the desk were cheerful and very helpful. My check in was quick and the amenities were well explained to me, such as the hours at the restaurant and the lounge. Although this was during Christmas holiday, I did not expect to be treated any differently. When I went in my room, I saw a nice wrapped gift and an envelope nicely hand written addressed to me. This package was a very nice surprise! It was very good too and got to take home a couple of souvenir! Thank you!

I will see you again next year!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank amazedbyu
Reviewed November 3, 2007

I have stayed here twice for business travel. As a female traveling, it's important for me to feel safe, and I do at this hotel. The staff is superb and the beds are SO comfortable. There is a grocery store and coffee stop nearby which is great. I agree with another reviewer, it's deceiving from the outside, but it's clean inside and very comfortable. My room even had a view of Rainier and it was in view during my stay. The 16 highway is next to the property so you do hear early morning commuters, but overall I highly recommend this property. I'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Nini1
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My wife and I spent 5 nights recently at The Inn. We are in the process of moving to the Tacoma area and needed a base to explore the area and look for a new home. After reading some of the reviews here at TA, we decided to book a stay at The Inn. We made a fantastic choice. The Inn at Gig Harbor is rather deceiving from the outside. As we drove up the access road to the hotel entrance I was wondering if we had made a good choice. The Inn is not near the water, but they never gave the impression they were. They are in a rather industrial-like area which led to my initial concern. All my concerns were put to rest when we walked in the front doors. The first thing we noticed was the large fireplace and very comfortable lobby. The front desk staff was wonderful as we checked-in and asked if we had any special requirements for our stay. After checking-in we went up to our room on the third floor. The room was roomy and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. One of the other reviews said the rooms were noisy and the beds were hard. We found neither of these to be true. There was no outside noise unless the large window was open (which it was every night) and those noises were mostly the sounds of nature. The beds had thick european style comfortors and thick matress pads as well. Very comfortable. The restaurant serves pretty decent food, on par with some of the nicer "upscale" hotels we have stayed in. The free continental breakfast is very filling. Get the granola - it was wonderful. The hotel staff was outstanding. Better customer service than I have had at 5-star hotels. Kudos to our waitress Kendra. She was wonderful. This is a wonderful place to stay if you are in the Tacoma area. Our new house is close enough that we will have some of our out-of-town guests (i.e. in-laws) stay there when visiting us.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bsmith3121
Reviewed April 8, 2007

We stayed here for a conference.
The room was nice, however, the bed was incredibly HARD. The first night my husband slept in the King bed, and I on the couch. The second night we pulled the hide-bed couch out and slept on that!! The walls are thin - you can hear everything within 4 doors of your room.

The restuarant was great, except very overpriced!!

The staff was friendly and outgoing, willing to help.

Conference facilities were good, except the chairs were uncomfortable for sitting more than 30 minutes.

For quick overnight stay is nice, however overall other places might be better.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 27 in Tacoma
Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront
Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel

Been to The INN at Gig Harbor? Share your experiences!