“Great location, very rustic hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rain Forest Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Forks
Rain Forest Hostel
San Diego, California
“Great location, very rustic hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hostel is an old run down cluttered home of the owners, where he has several rooms with bunk beds for travelers. At $10 + a 15 minute chore per day, it is quite a bargain. It's like walking into an old home from the 1960's that never got updated. The bathroom is clean and the bed was decent. The part that I didn't like was the musty, damp smell of the place. The price and great location made this place worth staying at instead of camping, especially since this area rains, and rains, and rains. It is just a short distance to scenic Ruby Beach and the Hoh rain forest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Photog4funn

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Granite Falls, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed one night and I would go back. It brought back memories of the sixties when people "flopped" at other peoples houses. Old run down farm houses were highly sought after. The political views were hotly debated and most people tried to care about each other. Jim was a neat guy and introduced me to some interesting books on health and healing. we met interesting people and Chores are good for you. Seriously $10 bucks a night, try to beat that anywhere.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Carole K
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I really don't know what people are complaining about -- $10 a night! A hostel in Mexico is $12, the beach campground just down 101 is $18, the Elwa Valley campground $12, state campgrounds $22 -- get real. This is way better than a leaking tent in the rain.

Room Tip: Go in the off season. The line of cars streaming into the park just before Memorial Day was unreal...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank neal f
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed in this hostel knowing nothing--just stopping because we saw a sign on the highway. We were at that point where it was dark, raining, and we still hadn't found an open place where we could camp or even just pull over and sleep in the car. We did appreciate that there was room for us, and that we would just pay $20. It was a little weird that we were set up in a trailer (yes, literally the kind that would be on the back of a truck) on the side of the house. It did have a plug in heater and electricity. Then the owner was rather strange...odd questions, asked for our IDs. The bathroom was bare but generally clean; we didn't shower. Mold grows everywhere in this part of the state, (it's almost always wet!) so I wouldn't judge anyone on that. The public areas were crowded, disorganized, and not super clean (can shag carpeting ever be cleaned?) You have to do chores in the morning before you go--it was a little annoying that the owner wasn't up early to give us our chores, considering the we wanted to go get our day started. I wiped down the trailer with a wet rag and swept, my boyfriend did some weeding. Everything was very felt very unofficial, and just a little awkward. We left feeling like "well...okay, at least we were dry."

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NWTeach-Travel
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

The hostel is not a 5 star resort and I am not sure what exactly the people who left the nasty reviews were expecting but, all I can say is they must be spoiled brats. I must say that if you are a hiker or a traveler and you are more of the type that appreciates people and a local flavor rather then over priced hotels and twilight tour packages this is your place. Jim is a kind caring person and many years ago he opened his home too weary budget conscious travelers who needed brief refuge in the midst of their Olympic Peninsula travels. I have stayed at the hostel a few times with friends and family and they have all enjoyed their time in this special place and as an added bonus you can also meet other travelers from other parts of the country and world and exchange stories and ideas and its hard to get that at an over priced hotel where every one is a sir or ma'am and has no value to others aside of their monetary worth.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Sonya B
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

Great Location! It's right between Ruby Beach and the Hoh Rainforest. With the recent buzz of twilight and the abundance of tourists visiting Olympic National Park, Forks tends to be pricey when is comes to hotels- on average $100 bucks a night. As a young student traveling on a Budget this place was perfect, only $10 a night. That deal was worth doing 15 minutes of chores a day (wiping down counters in the kitchen, & sweeping). Jim, who runs the hostel, is a great guy who has some great stories to tell and was very helpful giving me advice on what sights I should see. I would stay there again in a flash. There are shared rooms and private rooms, just contact Jim.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank maria12686
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I have stayed twice at this hostel (last summer and this spring) and am glad that it exists because low-budget accomodations on the Olympic Pensinsula are few. The hostel is the owner's house and dorm beds are located in several rooms in the house as well as the garage. I stayed in the garage dorm in the summer and it was fine. I was a little cold, but using multiple blankets allowed for a good night's sleep. The second time, I stayed in the female bedroom dorm and got an even better night's sleep. The house could use some renovation (new carpets and paint) and has a musty smell, but that wouldn't stop me from staying there. I would put it on the same par as several other cheap hostels I have frequented in Europe. For the price, it is more than adequate. There is adequate hot water and use of the kitchen (including brita filtered water). Sheets and towels provided for a very nominal fee. I would also note that the atmosphere is quite friendly and casual--with a mix of US and international visitors both times I was there. The owner offers lots of useful advise on things to do in the area and has a surfeit of brochures available. He did not request my ID on either occasion. Guests are merely required to write their name and address. If you are travelling by bus, you will have to arrange your plans around the bus schedule, so pay careful attention to that. Of course, other people in the hostel might be willing to give you a ride to the next town, the beach, etc, when they leave in the morning. People can be willing to help each other sometimes! The owner does have very overt political views, first conveyed by various signs in the house. If you don't want to discuss it, don't bring it up and he probably won't either. Last, the chores are probably less effectual toward house cleanliness than symbolic, which really seems to be the intention, and mine were done completely without supervision. My chores included (on various occasions) pulling weeds (outside), sweeping the driveway and cleaning the bathtub/toilet. I can vouch for the cleanliness of the bathroom, at least based on my effort. In summary: This is a rustic hostel in a person's home. Relax and perhaps have an interesting chat with the owner or some other guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo