“I Don't Write Bad Reviews...Normally”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Gate

Golden Gate
Ranked #18 of 21 Restaurants in Forks
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Tacoma, Washington
“I Don't Write Bad Reviews...Normally”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I believe that most really bad reviews say more about the reviewer than they do the restaurant. All of that, "WORST EVER" and "WILL NEVER RETURN" bombast speaks to an underlying anger and frustration with life in general, or the quality of one's vacation in particular. If a meal isn't the greatest, just relax because a better one is only a few hours away.

The Golden Gate Restaurant in Forks, though, causes me to take keyboard in hand for a thrashing. Ordered 2 appies and 2 entrees. Appies (won tons and bbq pork) below average but edible. My entree came, below average but edible. No water, and no soft drink. My wife's entree didn't come, and the server was nowhere to be seen. Finally, 20 minutes later, I heard our server so I got up to find her. I told her that my wife's entree hadn't come. She said, "But you got the appetizer, right?" Then she went into the kitchen and brought out my wife's dinner that had been under a warming light for the entire 20 minutes. Way below average.

When I went to the counter to pay, the cashier was our server. I pointed to the charge for my wife's dinner and said, "I would like you to something about that." She grabbed the pen, scratched it out, ran the card, slammed down the pen and walked away.

So at least we weren't charged. Maybe it wasn't the worst ever, but t was pretty close. Chinese in a small town can be a roll of the dice. I know that. This time we came up snake eyes.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Kim H

Vancouver, Canada
“Not the best chinese food but great service and decent prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband loved the food,I thought it was below average. I really appreciated the fabulous service. Our server was very friendly!

• Visited December 2012
Saint David, Arizona
“Best Bet in Forks!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

After surveying the rather grim assortment of restaurants in Forks and reviewing the ratings in tripadvisor, we selected the Golden Gate, even though we rarely eat at Chinese restaurants. We found the place packed with customers, so much so that the service was a little slow as they were definitely understaffed at the time. But we enjoyed a wonderful, plentiful, and delicious meal that was very reasonably priced. The restaurant was nicely decorated and the overall experience was excellent.

• Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

From the street, this restaurant looks like the most modern place in town. We wouldn’t say this is authentic Asian cuisine but at least the food is clean and acceptable if ordinary. Our waitress was friendly, reasonably efficient and very well-versed in “Twilight” lore, which preoccupies every commercial establishment in this now-legendary town.

• Visited October 2012
Berwick, Pennsylvania
“Really good food, friendly owners, attractive atmoshpere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We ordered take out from this delightful restaurant. When our family walked in, we were surprised at how pretty the restaurant was, lovely lighting, intricate shell mural screens, nice tables. The male owner immediately greeted us, asking where we were from and chatting in a friendly manner. After ordering, General Tso's, orange chicken, and pork noodle soup, the female owner offered us hot tea or water while we waited for them to prepare our food...never had anyone do that before! They gave us everything needed to eat our food in our hotel room. The orange chicken was particularly delicious. Everything else was really good and fresh tasting. I would definitely go back and would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012