“comfort at its best”

Misty Valley Inn B&B
Ranked #1 of 11 Forks B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Mist Valley Inn in Forks and upon entering into this beautiful that is maintained by Rachel and Jim you knew you were on vacation. After talking with Rachel when entering this beautiful home and being greeted by a woman with a smile to melt your heart. She introduced us to her husband, Jim and then also introduced us to their four-legged family Mya and Jax who even made you feel more relaxed with the care that they put into making your stay the best possible. Then Rachel showed us our room with a lovely King size bed and a view overlooking the field behind their home with visiting elks, birds and whatever else might show up.she then takes your order for breakfast which sounded wonderful, but after a good night sleep in a bed with micro-fiber sheets (pure comfort) we find coffee, tea, hot chocolate or whatever you ordered the night before at your door with flowers in a little vase and a cute card with the forecast of the day. You then go to the dining room and meet other guest(s) over a meal to die for. Rachel, being a retired nutritionists and who also loves to cook introduces you to a breakfast that you will not forget. We will be going back because we were visiting in the winter time and we want to see what the area (Olympic Nat'l. Forest and its beaches) in the summertime has to offer.
Once again thankyou Rachel, Jim, Mya and Jax for making our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own bit of mystique
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I booked this B&B after reading the great reviews here on Trip Advisor. We had just completed a very nice tour of Oregon Wine Country, and had stayed at a wonderful B&B there. More about that in another review.
We wanted to see more of the Washington Coast, having moved to the west coast about 3 years ago. We spent the night in a hotel further down the coast, which was your typical hotel experience. Actually seems ideal after what followed.
I indicated online that we would be arriving between the stated hours for reception. In spite of that, I received several desperate phone messages asking for a specific moment I would be arriving in the driveway, as she had to go grocery shopping. Really? The reservation was made pretty early in the day and any grocery shopping should have been done, not been made our problem. In any event, I did not get the messages until we were very close due to lack of cell phone coverage.
Upon arrival, the young lady who was in charge (NOT the owner) showed her irritation at us not having called her back. She ushered us in and through a quick tour of the common areas, ending at our bedroom. Nice and very clean if not in my style. She then brought us into the kitchen area where she gave us a run through of how it was going to be. ??? We had to choose a time for breakfast. OK, we chose. Then she forced us to choose a breakfast and was irritated that she had to go shopping again. She then walked us into the dining area and swept her hand towards the server, which held tea bags, tea cups and hot water. There were 2 coffee cups as well, one of which held a bun of some sort. When she realized the second cup did not have a bun in it, she explained that it must have been eaten by the last guest. Scary on its own but scarier being the last guest was there many days ago according to the register We declined to eat anything.

Now this young lady has an adorable (very) young daughter. I was happy to interact with her, but it was clear that the mom really did not have any boundaries when it came to her child and guests. She left her daughter talking with me for a long time, but it was probably the best moments of the stay. Nice little girl, curious and wanting to talk. When Mom returned from who knows where, she admonished the child for taking up my time. What??? Then this little girls diaper was changed on the couch right in front of us. That is just weird.
So as not to drag this on into a novel, the following happened over the course of the next few hours. We couldn't watch TV in the common area, because her show was on. When I tried to read and look through books in the other sitting area, she very loudly paced the room with a cordless phone, whining and using much profanity to the person on the other end. I assume this was the owner. She complained about having to have people here with no help from the f-ing a-hole that was supposed to be there with her. Her words. I would like to say this is fiction but it was not. Right in front of me!
When she finally hung up, I did ask her I she thought I was deaf. Yes, that might have been a bad attitude. But enough was enough. I stormed into the bedroom and told my husband that we were leaving first thing. 6am, we were out of there, and I did the courtesy of leaving her a note letting her know she did not need to cook.
So. Very bad experience. I wish we had the sort of visit that most of the reviewers talk about, but we did not. When I dug deeper into the reviews, I see that this is a pattern. Owners there, life is good. Owners gone, not so much.
The coast area is a very interesting place that we would love to explore some more. But we won't be going back to Misty Valley.

So my advice is to try it out, but do inquire as to the who will be running the property. It's an awfully long way to Port Angeles if you are having a terrible experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda G
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great place to stay while visiting Olympic NP. Stayed in the French room. Very clean and well decorated. Breakfast was excellent. Instead of only providing one option for breakfast, they provide six or seven options. The food was great and plentiful. Hardly needed lunch later in the day. My wife and I ordered different items and we split breakfast providing even more variety.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I make an annual trip to the penninsula, and when we do, we always make a point to stay here. We have stayed in each of the rooms, and while our favorite is the Dutch room, with its spectacular morning view of the misty valley, all of the rooms are wonderful. The house is exquisitely kept, and Jim and Rachel are wonderful hosts. The food is beyond amazing. I don't think that I have ever had a breakfast that can match theirs.

There is always a choice of beverages and desserts in the evening when we arrive, two cups of coffee delivered to our room exactly when we asked it to be, and an incredible breakfast ready for us when we leave our room.

We have been to many wonderful bed and breakfasts from Rome to California, but the Misty Valley Inn remains our favorite.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great, but the Dutch room has the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris V
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Forks itself does not have much to commend it but Misty Valley Inn provides a wonderful stopover if you are touring the Olympic Peninsular. We stayed in the Irish Room which was beautifully decorated and very clean and comfortable. Our welcome upon arrival was very warm and we were immediately offered tea and brownies out on the deck. We then sat and watched the local chipmunks and blue jays eating a few feet away from where we were sitting.
A wake-up call with early morning tea was most welcome next morning and breakfast was served at a time to suit us (rather than the Innkeeper) and the food that was served was of really high quality and in more than ample proportions.
Altogether, a wonderful setting with lovely rooms and excellent food.

Room Tip: Although I didn't go into all rooms, I don't believe there is a bad room at this Inn
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wellowwanderer
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My sister and I wanted to visit the coastline of Washington and Olympic National Park. There are not many places to stay around the area and I feel that Misty Inn was a gem in the rough. Jim and Rachel welcomed us into their home and could not have been more accomodating. They were full of information about the area and had plenty of books around to share with us. Walking up to a pot of hot tea left at our door in the morning and information about the weather and tides is such a nice touch. The breakfast which is ordered the night before was delicious even though a bit sweet for my taste in the morning. I would have preferred something a bit healthier. I would recommend this B &B.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dutch room which had its own private balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Warm, caring, comfortable! Misty Valley's host/ hostess, Jim and Rachel, cared greatly that
we enjoyed our experience with them. Their attention to details to our needs
was impressive. They and their availability of information for our visit to
the Olympic Peninsula and surrounding area to be positive was so helpful.
Our room was great with everything we needed and hot coffee (tea or hot
chocolate) as we awoke. Oh! And breakfast! Oh my, just wait for a real
treat...! Each choice is a culinary delight. You will love Misty Valley!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forks
Kalaloch Lodge
#1 of 5 in Sekiu
The Pacific Inn Motel
Miller Tree Inn Bed & Breakfast
The Dew Drop Inn Motel

Been to Misty Valley Inn B&B? Share your experiences!