“Love/Hate Situation”

Ranked #5 of 11 Forks B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Love/Hate Situation”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in cabin 1 in the middle of July. It was reasonably priced, very centrally located to both the beaches and the rainforest and that is why we chose this place. We enjoyed coming back at night and using the outdoor grills to cook instead of eating out. We had to buy foil to cover the grill because they weren't clean. They had hillbilly golf so we took advantage of that and played a few games. Our room was very clean besides the neglect of cobwebs in the high ceiling corners of the bathroom. There is an antler chandelier and deer head on the wall. My husband is a hunter so that doesn't bother me. I found that most people it bothers is the people that believe that their food should come from a grocery store. We had 2 beds, table and chairs, refrigerator, microwave, closet area and bathroom with shower no tub. Not to mention, chairs on the shared porch. This is where the hate comes in, shared porch means another room/cabin attached by a very thin wall. The 1st night we litteraly had to knock on the wall as we were trying to sleep to shut the people up next door. We couldn't hear them talking but it sounded like they were rearranging the whole room and dragging furniture across the floor. It's not like we were going to bed super early. It was around 11PM but we wanted to be up for 720AM low tide on 2nd beach which by the way is a don't miss. All in all, I would stay here again and get a cabin without a shared wall if possible or hope for the best of respectable neighbors. We enjoyed our stay to the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mudballer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was looking for two nights in July last minute. When I looked to book the room, it seemed that I would need to be in two different cabins. I don't remember her name but the clerk did some checking and was able to do some switching. For this, I am thankful. After exploring all day, it was nice to go back to a clean, comfortable and quiet room. The staff was great and could not have been more helpful. I travel a lot and I was impressed by their helpfulness. I've been meaning to write a review and these ladies deserve an excellent! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Forks is th best place, in my opinion, for exploring the west of Olympic NP. It is quite a depressing town, so don't go there on a romantic getaway. Huckleberry Lodge seems like the best option around Forks, but I wouldn't visit again. However, I didn't really enjoy the west of ONP all that much anyway. Huckleberry Lodge has 4 cabins near to each other, with the owner's home next door as well. The Eagles cabin was nice. The bed and living room were comfortable. The cabin was spacious and we slept very well with all the quiet. The kitchen was ok. The cutlery and glassware was limited. Pots and pans were old and not very clean. The cabin could be cleaned better in general. The wifi was working off and on for me, but not at all for my partner. Th water in the shower was lukewarm. The screen in the door to the porch was missing, so we couldn't open it without all the bugs coming in. The bbq area is right near the cabin, which meant that people could look right into our living room and the smoke blew right our way. We didn't have any contact with the owners, as it was selfservice check-in. All in all it was ok. If people were determined to visit the area, I'd recommend staying here, as the choice is rather limited.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Eagles cabin.
2 Thank TravAms
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked the trapper cabin back in March. About a month before our trip I contacted them to see if I could add an additional day and was told I would have to stay in another cabin the first night then move to trapper and we took it. I then changed our entire 2 week travel plan including rental car arrangements etc to allow us to stay in Olympic one more night.

About two weeks before the trip I realized I never got an email confirmation so I asked for one. A few days later I received a call while I was at a fundraiser telling me that we could not have the additional night as the owner had rented the cabin without letting the manager know (or something like that). The women on the phone apologized asking me what type of wine we liked as they would have some in the room and that she would discount our room for our trouble. I realized mistakes can be made and they seemed willing to fix it so I was disappointed but OK with it. She said she would call the next day and help me find other accommodations as we would be there in a week and most placed were booked.

After a couple of days not hearing from her I went ahead and found something else on my own. The next day she contacted me to say it had all been a mistake and that we could come for the additional night. As I had already paid for someplace else I declined.

Upon arrival there was no wine nor a discount as promised which I found to be rather disappointing. As you never see a staff person there was not one to speak to about this. It was very stressful for a planner like me to find out that you may be without a place to sleep a week before your trip.

The cabin was fine but I honestly can't say that I would recommend this place as I wouldn't be confident you would have a room when you got there nor that they would follow through with what they said.

3 Thank waterdogooder
Olympic National Park, Washington
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed in the Trapper's Cabin this time. The bed was just as comfortable as the one in the Eagle's Cabin, I sleep better here than I do at home. The décor is super cute and it was nice to have the mini-fridge and coffee maker. Love the self check-in and the price is totally reasonable. This cabin shares a bathroom with the RV sites, but we never had to wait or anything. The setting is very relaxing and peaceful, yet close to town.

1 Thank paper_monkE
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family had an excellent experience during our 1-night stay at the Huckleberry Lodge in May. The property is well situated, 5 minutes from downtown Forks but far enough on the outskirts of town that it feels like a rural setting. Our reservation was placed online and when we arrived we found a receipt and key on the table. The owners appeared to be home, but the entire time we were there, we didn't talk to anyone, seeing just one other person down in the RV sites. The transaction was efficient with the self check-in, and I'm not sure what one is supposed to do if there's a problem with the reservation or room, but since we didn't have any problems I thought the process was great.

We stayed in The Eagles Cabin, which is a self-contained unit with porch. About 25 yards away is a duplex cabin, and about 50 yards to one side is the trapper or rustic cabin (no restroom) and 50 yards to the other side is the owners' home. A hundred yards the other direction lies an RV campground with 3 spots and a showerhouse. There's supposed to be a trail to the river, but we couldn't find it.

The cabin was clean, comfortable, and about the size of a mobile home. Water pressure was good, and the bed comfortable. The view out the kitchen windows shows a woodsy setting. There was enough room in the living room to set up a playpen, but not much space to spare beyond that. The kitchen was very well stocked in terms of cooking supplies and utensils, as well as a coffee pot that worked well, salt, pepper, etc. The fridge was cold and totally empty. If you need refrigerated condiments such as ketchup or mustard, I'd suggest asking the deli at the Forks Thrift for complimentary small packets of those.

Three things that made this stay unique, other than the check-in routine... my wife and I enjoyed strolling around the large property, which is shaded and well maintained; the large front porch was a nice place to relax (had to kill as wasp or two first); and although we didn't use it, there is a huge barbecue area for guests with all the grilling equipment one could want.

Location-wise, Huckleberry Lodge is 5 minutes from the center of town and the excellent JT's Sweet Shop ice cream place. It's also conveniently located to the Hoh Rain Forest and the La Push beach area. It's the largest service area between Aberdeen and Port Angeles on Highway 101.

We would stay at the Huckleberry Lodge again, and probably try to stay longer than 1 night, next time.

Room Tip: No bathroom in Trapper Cabin; Cabins 1 and 2 are a duplex.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nacogdoches, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here for two nights. Bill and Kitty were very nice and helpful when I arrived after a long drive from Seattle. I stayed in the trapper cabin which doesnt have a bathroom in the cabin itself but next to it. I loved how it was sucluded and surrounded by trees. I will be staying again when I come back to Forks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forks
Kalaloch Lodge
#1 of 5 in Sekiu
The Pacific Inn Motel
The Dew Drop Inn Motel
Miller Tree Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Huckleberry Lodge Cabins? Share your experiences!