1,613 results
All reviews wood stove bluff cabins ruby beach creekside restaurant the pacific ocean olympic national park hoh rainforest gift shop beach access on site restaurant cozy cabins tide pools a bit pricey the cliff beach combing low tide washington coast
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We are fans of historic national park lodges and we know the Olympic beach is amazing so we had high hopes for this property. We could not have been more disappointed. The room was run down in every way possible - dingy walls, ripped carpet, broken baseboard heater, light shining through all sides of the door at night. There was trash from a previous occupant in the recycle container. The shower was dirty. Even the view was obstructed. I've never stayed in a Motel 6 as run down as this facility. We peeked in the windows of the cabins and they looked nicer, but I would avoid the whole place and stay at either Lake Quinault or Lake Crescent. The great beaches are a short drive from either and both are well taken care of lodges.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank marblemount
Walter K, General Manager at Kalaloch Lodge in Olympic National Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Kalaloch Lodge. We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences you faced. There is no excuse for the housekeeping issue you encountered. I will be sure to discuss this issue with my staff to assure that this problem is addressed and does not arise again in the future. Kalaloch Lodge will be undergoing a refresh of the rooms, so many of the issues you spoke of will be addressed at that time. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you’ll give us a second chance in the future

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Growing up family made going to Kalaloch an annual summer trip. We have found memories of staying on the bluff and watching for whales. Now at 50 I am still taking my family there as often as possible to give them this wonderful outdoor adventure with indoor comfort. There are lots of trails to walk and a beautiful beach to explore. The cabins are roomy and clean with amazing views of the ocean. The staff are friendly and helpful. In the gift shop we always find a fun souvenir. I recommend staying at least a couple nights to really appreciate the beauty of this place.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate the positive review. I am happy to know that you have been coming to Kalaloch Lodge for your summer trips when you were growing up. I hope that your stays now are as happy as they were then. Hopefully you will continue to come back year after year. The staff at Kalaloch Lodge works hard at making each guest feel satisfied with their visit, and I hope we continue to satisfy you and your family in future years.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stay in the cabins most every winter to visit the wild Washington coast and the Hoh & Quinault Rain Forest. We have never stayed in the actual Lodge or eaten in restaurant. Avoid the duplex cabins. We had bad experience a few years back where our neighbors went to bed before 10 p and we wanted to play cards. Even whispering was loud enough to disturb neighbors. Not a problem with detached cabins. We love the freedom and save $ to make our own meals with a kitchenette and build a fire in the wood stove in the cooler months (they supply firewood). The beach is easily accessible and a nice beach for walking and watching sunsets. My oldest sun proposed to his gf at sunset by writing in the sand. Great memories. There is a small grocery shop there so if you forget something you don't have to drive miles down the road. Gift shop is nice. Very friendly staff. We love how we can drive up to Hoh, stop at beaches, Big Cedar tree one day then go south to Beach 1 to see Spruce burls and on to Lake Quinault with multitude of trails. The beaches & forests change every year after the winter storms so is always interesting to see the effects. Unfortunately, our favorite beach, Ruby Beach, is now cut off from the large rocks we've always climbed on from the downed trees changing where creek comes out. We'll be back next year to see what Mother Nature has wrought.

Room tip: Avoid duplex cabins - too intrusive. Shared wall is kitchen/dining area and walls thin. If have noisy neighbors/crying baby you will hear them & if they want complete silence you will have hard time being quiet enough. Cabins in middle with open area to ocean gives you ocean view without the bluff price.
Date of stay: January 2014
1  Thank goodsam_pam

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate the positive review. I am very happy to hear that some life long memories were created at Kalaloch Lodge, that is why we are here. Hopefully you will come back year after year to build on those memories. The staff at Kalaloch Lodge works hard at making each guest feel satisfied with their visit and I hope we continue to satisfy you and your family in future years.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I fell in love with Kalaloch on my first visit, back in 1998. Under the previous management the buildings were not loved and were barely maintained. With DNC taking over, everything has improved! They take pride in caring for the buildings, with fresh paint, upgrades and a happier staff.

Over the years we have stayed in a variety of the cabins. Our last visit we stayed in the Seacrest Building for 2 nights, luckily timing it with one heck of a wind storm. We opted for the upstairs 2-bedroom. The corner deck was perfect - full view of the Pacific, mostly sheltered so I was able to sit outside in the howling wind and read all day - while our kids played next to me. Oh, and Seacrest has deck chairs now. That are made for relaxing. I have read negative comments about the S. building and this is what kept me from staying in one before. Don't let it. The only advantage I can think of is many of the cabins have kitchens. Being that we always carry camping gear, I found not having a kitchen to be no problem. I just cooked on the deck using my backpacking stove or made sammies on the large dining table inside (it has a frig as well).

The size of the 2 bedrooms is appreciated. The master bedroom looks out onto the ocean, a full wall of glass (as does the dining room table). The only negative was the mattress was not the best, but hey, I also sleep on a Sleep Number bed at home, so I am kind of biased! The living room also had a futon bed/couch and chair, meaning you can sleep up to 3 more in the living room.

The bathroom is another reason to stay in the Seacrest Building. Unlike the cabins, where you have to walk through the bed area, this is separate. The shower/toilet is separate from the sink. Room to move around, it was massive.

If you have a large family or lots of gear, this is worth checking out.

Get on their mailing list and follow them on Facebook - that way you won't miss the winter deals (we grabbed the winter sale!)

And PS: the espresso machine has been back this past year in the store, and is very much appreciated. It was a sad day when the previous mgmt. got rid of it - we'd always stop by the store for a latte on the way home from hikes!

Date of stay: November 2013
1  Thank Sarah K
Alicia O, General Manager at Kalaloch Lodge in Olympic National Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Sara K,
Thank you very much for noticing the improvements that we have made to the property in the past 15 months that we have been managing the property. Thank you also for noticing how happy our staff is. You are a seasoned traveler and we greatly appreciate the feedback. We look forward to having your family return many times in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This writeup was inspired by a recent mid-December overnight stay.

Kalaloch is the only hotel property on the "real" Washington coast - where the coves collect tree carcasses. Yes, it does feel expensive, and it lacks some amenities, and the restaurant is not premier dining. But this is natural destination, rather than a resort property. And viewed as a remote inn serving short-stay travelers Kalaloch is just fine.

Since moving to Seattle in 1999, I have stayed at Kalaloch just three times - once (late fall) in a bluff cabin; once (early June) in the Seacrest lodge building, and most recently (2 weeks ago) in the main lodge. These are not "typical" visits, as I travel solo, and mid-week offf-peak. So this review is written from that perspective.

From Seattle, Kalaloch is the perfect overnight point in a 2-day Olympic-peninsula loop - even in mid-winter, it's all daylight driving, with time for some short walks. But my prior visits did not inspire repeat, This time, I am already thinking about a next trip.

I was delighted with the main lodge room, and will repeat that choice on future visits. My problem with a cabin in cold and windy weather was that although the heater did keep up, the walls were cold - that is, a warm-enough space, but not (for me) a cozy effect. The Seacrest building has the advantage of balconies and sliding-glass walls, but in the dark season, the building feels dark overall; and the only upstairs (view) units with fireplaces are 2-bedroom suites. In contrast, the main lodge room felt bright, airy, and warm. [In fact, the room was overheated, and when I couldn't find a way to turn down the radiator I opened a window slightly - nice temperature adjustment, fresh air, and sea sounds!] And fireplace time in the lodge can be shared in the downstairs lobby/gift-shop. The main lodge would certainly include hallway noises if heavily populated, and puplic-space noises if the restaurant and downstairs deck were busy; but I still think the overall effect would be comfy/cozy. In mid-December, I felt like I had the place to myself.

Dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were just fine. Better menus than on prior visits. Better quality as well.

Service (both front-desk and restaurant) was excellent and friendly. I had imagined that a "dead" night might result in glum/bored staff. But everyone seemed to be sharing my enjoyment of the season and the quiet.

The only oops in this trip was being off-cycle with the tides - zero daylight hours for tidepool browsing. On the other hand, the mid-day high tide was dramatic along the narrow coastal zone.

Room tip: Room variations here are complex. If you are particular about room conditions, travel off-season and arrive early to check things out in person. For solo travelers or couples, ocean-view rooms in the main lodge are just fine. Dogs are allowed in the cabins, but not in either lodge.
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Walter K, General Manager at Kalaloch Lodge in Olympic National Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful response. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in the Main Lodge. You are correct in saying it has a few minor noise issues, but being able to walk downstairs and enjoy the fireplace is something special. We appreciate you letting us know the tide charts needed to be updated, this has been corrected. We look forward to you coming back and visiting us again.