“Great Location-Very Poor Service”

Kalaloch Lodge in Olympic National Park
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Forks
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here from 9-12 through 9-13. We picked Kalaloch Lodge for on our stay in Olympic National Park because of it's location close to Ruby Beach and the Hoh rainforest. Let me say first that my wife and I are used to staying in rustic accommodations in and around national parks and know plus understand their limitations. That is not any issue with us. For this one, we did pick their large, most expensive room over the top of the main lodge for a splurge at the end of a 17 day road trip.
The front desk where you check in is their gift shop. The girl who "greeted" me at the front desk was so unfriendly I was a little taken back. A smile would have cracked her face and she just handed over a key with no directions to the room or nothing to say at all. Whenever I asked a question, she would barely look up and would just fire off a short response. There was no one else in the gift shop or checking in so she was not busy with customers.
I had gotten a bad bug bite on the back of my neck the day before (not at the lodge) and when I awoke the next morning, it had broken open during the night and there was a lot of blood on my pillowcase. When we got back to the room in the afternoon, the bed had been made up (sort of) but here was the blood stained pillow case still on the pillow that side up. (??) The maid had been there but not in mind or spirit.
We had made a reservation for dinner that night at 6:00 PM. When we arrived right on time, we had to wait for someone to seat us for over 5 minutes and we were the only ones there. We could hear the cook in the kitchen and the server/hostess talking the whole time. The cook saw us and told her we were out there but she would not stop with her personal conversation and just left us out there. Finally, I had to yell out "hello" three times before she came out and she had no apology and just said she knew we were there. When 2 other couples came in and asked to be seated they were told there was no available seating for the night. We sat there in a room with just 2 other tables besides us with people in them and there was two rooms of empty tables all made up. Evidently they just did not want anyone there.
Other then that, the food was acceptable and the location is very pretty. Everything is a little worn out but that is quite common with park accommodations and we expected that.

12  Thank Tim1177

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Always wanted to stay here and we finally did. Never again! Our cabin was overrun with mice! Since it is located on national park property, they can't kill them. So, they put in a live trap after a sleepless first night. THERE WERE 5 MICE IN THE TRAP BY 2AM!!! And our cabin did not have a kitchenette in it, so there was no food to attract them. We even found mouse droppings in our suitcase!! Unfortunate experience.

Stayed: September 2012
11  Thank Lee G
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night in August. It was beautiful, but 20 degrees colder than at Quinault Lake Lodge inland. I'm glad we opted for just one night here and 3 nights at Quinault. It was beautiful and wild feeling. I liked our cabin along the cliff edge and the view from the restaurant too. But it was so cold and windy I didn't want to walk the beach. There is much more for a family to do at Quinault. I'm glad we stayed one night, but also glad we didn't stay longer!

Room Tip: We liked cabin 7 - along the cliff with a nice breakfast table nook that had lots of windows
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank happyarchitect
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Lodge was disgustingly dirty, service was poor and the ambiance had all the charm of an IHOP. fabulous view - but you don't have to stay there to see it. Move on to the Quinault Lodge up the road.

Room Tip: There is no good room, at least if ours was any sample of rooms. Two conditioners and no shampoo in...
4  Thank Swansgirl
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I were traveling with another couple and reserved a two bedroom cabin. We loved it. Plenty of room, a wonderful fireplace with wood supplied, clean, and comfortable. However, it is a cabin. So we didn't get - or expect - 5 star resort accommodations. The location is beautiful. The sunset was awesome. As the other reviews stated, there isn't any other accommodations near Kalaloch. The store is a tad expensive, but considering you are a captive audience, I didn't think it was too bad. The food in the lodge was very good and we had good wait staff. The kitchen was a bit slow, but with that gorgeous view, we didnt care. We were only there one night, so didn't bring in supplies. If we had stayed longer, I would have done some meals in the cabin. There were enough dishes, etc to make that easy. We did arrive early and we were given access to our cabin right away. That made it easy to unload and head for the beaches early in the afternoon. These beaches are just beautiful. The star fish at Beach 4 were huge and beautiful. Of course, we had perfect weather for beach combing, hiking, and picture taking. We would return at the drop of a hat.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JeanVW
Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you are going to visit this area of the OP, this is the only accommodation available. We stayed in the "hotel" section (most accommodations are single or duplex cabins). The room was large, reasonably clean and had a fireplace. The fireplace was the source of my biggest complaint, the room had a terrible smoky smell to it, as if many fires had been burned without the damper being opened. We opened up the windows after the first night, and it was tolerable by the evening. If I had it to do over I would not have a room with the fireplace.

The restaurant in the hotel as adequate but somewhat expensive. Mrs. Spokaneman and I like to split meals and they charge $5.00 to do that. To me that it a bit annoying.

There is no internet connection and very limited cell phone coverage. I saw people actually using a pay phone.

But having said all of that, the beauty of the beaches around Kalaloch made the stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: If I had it to do over I would probably rent a cabin or a non-fireplace room. A cabin has cooking...
1  Thank Spokaneman1949
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Why stay here? Because it is better than staying in the motels in Forks and you can take a walk on the beach before dinner and at first light. They are otherwise overpriced cabins, but location is everything and if you are not on a camping budget this price is worth the night.
The food is ok and you can have a very enjoyable casual meal. The Is no other eatery for miles. The service personnel are not professional. Most try to do a good job while other are lazy earlier 20 something year old kids. When registering the girl said your cabin is right down the road and pointed SE when the actual direction from the check in was slightly SSW. SE pointed to the store and gas station on route 101. Even after I visually corrected her directional inadequacies and drove in the direction of the cabin we were met with a folk in the road.
The area is not large so finding the cabin with light was not difficult; however, my wife did not pay close attention. We then went to the beach and directly from the beach to dinner. After dinner I decided to go for a walk down the road and my wife walk back to the cabin. It was very dark there were only a few light on some cabins and no lights near the numbers. My wife looked for 20 minutes and started to get scared and went back to registration which is in the same building as the restaurant. The dumb girl with the ugly nose ring said the cabin is right down the road again pointing the to wrong direction. My wife was already visible upset that she could not find the cabin and she know the girl was pointing to route 101. She asked if she could walk her to the cabin. Instead the girl grabbed a paper map pointing to the cabin and said it is right down the road. (The map show a folk). During this time I returned to the cabin, it was hard to find the card swipe in the dark but I finally did. As it was apparent that my wife never made it back to the cabin I first looked around the ocean overlooks and then the restaurant. The girl saw me and she know my wife and I were together. I went back to the cabin but this time my card would not open the door. I returned to the registration to get the card reactivated.
I told the girl in addition to my card not working that I have been looking for my wife and was concerned. She said sometimes the cards don't hold the code and there should be a light over the front door of the cabin. I said if I can not find my wife in the next 10 minutes I would like to put in for a missing person report and inquired with her if they have a set procedure as we are in a National Park. She said she is not aware of any procedure but you should just call the police. She then says your wife was here; she had trouble finding the cabin. When I returned to the cabin my wife was there and she was not happy. In the morning I noticed a switch that did not work the lights in the cabin. It was for the outside. Thanks for letting the guests know. Would they turn it on if guest arrived after dark? People need the light to get to the cabin and read the number. The management needs to improve on staff training and install basic minimum standards before hiring dumb girls with nose rings.

Room Tip: all rooms can hear and small the ocean, but do not pay extra for water view as it will likely be fog...
5  Thank vaction58