“Ehaust Fumes Entered Hotel Room and Made My Family Ill”

Emerald Queen Hotel & Casino
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Fife
tacoma
“Ehaust Fumes Entered Hotel Room and Made My Family Ill”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel. In the middle of the night we awoke feeling nuaseated and had headaches. Some sort of toxic fumes were entering our room. We had to go into the halway for fresh air. We were told by the front desk that no management was on duty and would have to wait until tomorrow. The staff told us this room has a deffective ventilation system and exhaust fumes from the kitchen gas grill below enters the room and they always get complaints from hotel guests. Worried that we would be axphixiated by tomorrow, we insisted that they provide us another room or we were going to another hotel. We were moved to a room with a single bed for four people. The next day we filled out an environmental health and safety complaint form with the hotel staff. We were told that management would promptly contact us. It has been over a month and hotel management has failed to contact us. I have left three voicemails and no one will return my call. Due to the hotel managment's irresponsiveness, I am concerned for the public's Safety. Today I filed a complaint with the Washington State Health System Air Quality Assurance Department.

Room Tip: UNSAFE air ventilation system--exhaust fumes enter rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank b g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Everett, Washington, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2012

If your a smoker then this is the place for you. Our room was ok/average and on the third floor. The casino is located below on the first floor and smoking is allowed, therefore the hallways,elevator and even our non-smoking room smelled like smoke. To get to the hotel receptionist, you had no choice but to walk through the smoke filled casino. If we hadn't got the room for free in a contest, I would have stayed somewhere else. Being a non-smoker, this wasn't the place for us.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker then this is not the place for you.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria L
Snohomish WA
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I read a review before I went that talked of the smoke smell. I hoped it was exaggerated but unfortunately it was not. We were put on the 2nd floor which was probably a big part of the problem as it had a deck like structure that overlooked the lobby and casino area. There were doors to close off the rooms but they were wide open. They were considered non smoking rooms but there might as well been someone sitting in our room chain smoking. The pillow I took still smells, my hair brush and comb smelled, my overnight bag smelled, clothes that i didnt even wear smell and the things they couldnt be washed still smell a week later.
In addition the person at the front desk at check in did not even greet us no smile and very cold reception.
I will not stay here again

• Stayed June 2012
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed on 6/23 - 6/24/12. We're non-smokers. This was our first visit.

What was nice? hotel room was clean, quiet area and overall nice. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. Deli restaurant pizza and subs are good. Great service here... Nice parking garage/plenty of spaces. Lots of security staff everywhere.

What wasn't nice? extreme cigarette smell/smoke in the casino. Just walking through casino to hotel desk to check-in was to go through a "ashtray smelling smoke cloud". good thing we brought several changes of clothes. We spent time in the non-smoking casino room (which still has the smoke smell - nothing to be done here because you have to access this area by traveling through the smoky casino!). Dinner buffet was greasy - yuck (waste of comps/money!) Found out later we should have gone to Tatoosh Grill on 3rd floor of casino. However, we only were there for one night; didn't want to walk through awful smoky casino to get there on Sunday for breakfast prior to checkout time. No blackjack table/games or keno. Only slots.... Also only one tiny lounge I heard at Tatoosh Grill. No lounges with seating, music, etc. on ground floor. I guess they expect that all guests are going to play slots all day?

Would we go back? NEVER. Why? we're non-smokers. This casino either doesn't have an adequate ventilation system or doesn't care about non-smoking customers. Why not put the hotel entrance and non-smoking casino in one area? Several other tribal casino's are set up this way. This place didn't seem family friendly? (I don't know if minors are allowed?)

Our rating? one star.

Room Tip: Don't visit this establishment if you're a non-smoker.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2012

NEVER, EVER, EVER again will I consider staying in this place. I dont smoke but felt as tho I had become a two pack a day smoker after spending part of one night in my room. #1- wet a towel and shove it under your door as you walk into your room. #2-pull the dirty chair over by the window. #3-open the window and sleep with your head out of the window. You may like staying here if you are a smoker, if not, sleep in your car if you want to breath. That is where I ended up after only 4 hours.

Room Tip: Tip to choosing a good room.....stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Skeeter2348
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were staying at the casino for a family wedding we were in town for. It also happens to be my tribal casino where Tribal members get a discount. I did think the rooms were very nice, but I would not have paid full price for them. Walking in and out of the hotel with my toddler was like walking down the jail hall (from what I've seen on TV). I've been to Vegas with my toddler and know the rules of a casino. They can walk through, but no stopping. So at the Emerald Queen, they sure made us feel unwelcomed and I might as well stay at a different hotel next time we are in town for the price they expect people to pay. Not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle M
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed at the Emerald Queen after a concert @ the Tacoma dome. The restaurants were closed @ 12:30, even though we were told at the front desk they would be open until 2:00. We settled for a pizza at the deli (our only option anyway). Our room was clean and overall quite nice, but it smelled like an ashtray even though it was a non-smoking room. Smelling like we hot-boxed a pack of cigarettes in the bathroom, we checked out the next morning to a receptionist who didn't even give us a "good morning" or a "how was your stay". I know it's not supposed to be a nice Vegas-type casino, but I expected a lot more for the money we spent. Overall an experience in money well wasted.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Danjo213
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fife
Quality Inn & Suites
Days Inn Fife
#5 of 10 in Fife
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tacoma Seattle
Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel

Been to Emerald Queen Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!