“Not bad for the money”

Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Fife
Reviewed May 3, 2010

My fiance and I stayed at the Travelodge on May 1st for the night. We were in town for a concert at the Tacoma Dome. Check-in was fast. The gal checking us in didn't provide any additional information such as check-out time or about the continental breakfast. We had a king bed on the 2nd floor. The room is small but does have a mini-fridge, microwave and adequate shower (however the water temp did have a mind of its own a few times). The view out of your window is of a run-down hotel that they appear to be renovating. Lots of light coming in though! We actually liked the bed. We slept fine all night. The only noises we heard were ppl walking around above us in the late afternoon..otherwise..nothing else. The hotel has plenty of things around it for food/drinks. We drove about a mile away for dinner at the Emerald Queen Casino in Fife. Great buffet! After the concert we had some drinks at Freddie's Club right behind the hotel. Yummy and enjoyable. We felt safe during our entire visit at the hotel. Easy to get to the highway and the Tacoma Dome. The hotel also provided us w/ a card to a cheap taxi service to the Dome. Overall I would stay here again for the night b/c it's so cheap.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Auburnmb
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA

Reviewed March 16, 2010

This motel if you can even call it a motel was dirty and not what we expected from the pic's on-line. I have worked in the Hotel industry for 6 years and have stayed in a TravelLodge in Oregon that was clean and cheap $$. So, I was very upset when the front desk manager made it seem like it's normal to have pee stains and hair on the toilet seat as well as dirty sheets and burn holes the size of dimes on the blanket. Also old butts on the floor in a non-smoking room. I wanted to switch rooms, the manager did not offer until 10pm that night after travelocity called the front desk to make sure our second night was refunded. After finally getting sleep after 10pm the alarm in the next room went off on full blast radio and the front desk argued that one one was in that room- we already new that and just wanted it turned OFF- it took the 20 min. to go and turn it off. NOT HAPPY I took picture's of everything and plan to send it to corp. I also would like to let everyone know that the manager was one of the most rude men I have ever met, he yelled at us on our way out of the office.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teamsi
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed in this hotel because it has truck parking. The rate was one of the cheapest I could find on the internet. The rooms looked clean but had an unusual odor, tried lysol spray, and the combination made it worse. Second day of leaving the window open cleared it. One pillow case had what looked to be the shoe print from a dirty shoe. I left it laying obvious side up on the bed, with a small tip, and it was replaced the next day. The door had sunlight coming through the joints, and the road noise was very apparent. The view from the window was non-existent. Actually it showed a run down seedy motel, that was about $10 cheaper than this motel, and a "junkyard" where my motel left its broken furniture, etc. So maybe the view is better described as undesirable. I ate a few times at the Jack in the Box a couple of doors down, really good burgers! The continental breakfast provided by the motel consists of a small bowl for your choice of two cereals, and a bagel with plain cream cheese. The motel is convenient to the public bus, so getting around is easy and cheap for those of us with no car. The motel manager was friendly for someone who doesn't have much time for speaking with guests. Overall, it was what I was expecting for the cheapest room available. I was satisfied. :)

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2009

There's no airport shuttle and the room was to small and the bed was gross. I felt disgusted laying down in it. When I arrived at the hotel the guest clerk was very rude and unhelpful. I will never stay here again

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Rooms were clean, staff was friendly and willing to help. I stayed 2 weeks on a business assignment, I did have to get my door key redone a few times but it was uncertain how long I was going to stay due to the nature of the assignment. Overall it was a pleasant experience and affordable. Good location near several amenities.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 21, 2008

First off, the rooms in reality look NOTHING like the pictures on the web site. They are very small, cramped, and filthy. I initially was going to stay here for two nights because my pickup truck was being repaired at a local dealership after one of my brake calipers got stuck while I was traveling through the area, but after seeing the state of this hotel up close and spending one night I checked out the next day and stayed the second night at the Howard Johnson's across the street, which was like night and day.

This Travelodge is most definitely the worst I've stayed at in my entire life. I asked for a corner room at the end of the building where it would be more quiet and was given a center upper floor room with a family next door with a baby - I think it was either made into an apartment for the manager or for the hired help. The room was very small and cramped. The air conditioner did not work. The heat did not work. Two lamps had no light bulbs in them. The coffee maker did not work. The bathroom was full of mold. The in-room safe was locked and could not be used (and at this hotel you DEFINITELY want to lock up your valuables if you need to leave for a bit).

Behind the hotel is another seedy dump of a motel with a sign saying "truckers welcome" and there indeed were a LOT of truckers at that hotel and apparently quite a few at the Travelodge as well. Along with the truckers, there were two "lot lizards" seen mulling about and going from one room to another (prostitutes). There was also a drunk trucker who apparently thought my room was his and he kept trying to get in until I confronted him (he was very drunk and disoriented and not a friendly person) and told him to get away or I would call the police.

The bedspread it turned out REEKED of the sweat and grime from many others before me so I ripped it off the bed and slept in a chilly room with no heat and just one thin covering.

Very miserable experience, worst hotel I've encountered in Washington State - total disrepair, filthy, and a very undesirable shady crowd surrounding it.

The next morning when I checked out I went directly across the large busy street to Howard Johnson's which was well kept, CLEAN, everything in the room worked, the linens were fresh and clean, the staff members were clean and friendly (the Travelodge staff had looked and smelled like homeless people), and the manager at the Howard Johnson hotel was very helpful when I could not get my room card to work initially.

All in all - AVOID THIS TRAVELODGE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN!!! I highly recommend booking a room at the Howard Johnson motel across the street, (Fife, Washington, near Port of Tacoma) because it quite literally is like night and day, total astounding difference!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank forksbear
Reviewed August 31, 2008

When you look at the pictures of the rooms it's not what you find when you arrive to your room. when we got there we got our room no. went to the room to discover that someone was already in that room
so the front counter apoligized she said the gal that was there earlier didn't mark it in the books so we went to the next room and you can tell that they did some work on it but the room was to crowded with furniture that was never in pictures on website the phone was old and didn't work very well It had a musky smell to it when you walked in, the cleaning staff was cleaning next to our room at 11 at night when we were trying to go to sleep the continental Breakfast was nothing to brag about the safe was locked so you couldn't use it the air condition/heater was old and gross looking lamps old need to be replaced the toilet was not clean and stained the bathroom was very small I would rather stay in a best western for more money than stay there again there was suppose to be 2 queen beds and it wasn't it was a full size bed and queen
Also when we went down for breakfast the gal at the front counter was talking to one the customers complaining about having no running water that was interesting
The gal at the front desk was very polite and respectly and was willing to help if she could. she's doing a great job.

Stayed: August 2008
travelodge253, Assistant manager at Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2009

Dear customer,
I was very sorry to read about your time at the Travelodge. Since your stay many of our rooms have been updated with a more comfortable layout. In addition to our renovations we have upgraded our continental breakfast. We now serve 2 juices, coffee, milk, cereal, muffins, bagles w/cream cheese, oatmeal and a variety of fruit. Everyday we strive to make the Travelodge a more comfortable welcoming environment for our guest, your review has been a great help. We hope to see you soon at the Travel lodge.

Sincerely
assistant manager, Chloe Kephart

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fife
Extended Stay America - Tacoma - Fife
Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#12 of 28 in Tacoma

Been to Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA? Share your experiences!