“The desk clerk was no help at all”

Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Fife
Reviewed August 23, 2009

There's no airport shuttle and the room was to small and the bed was gross. I felt disgusted laying down in it. When I arrived at the hotel the guest clerk was very rude and unhelpful. I will never stay here again

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA

Reviewed January 24, 2009

Rooms were clean, staff was friendly and willing to help. I stayed 2 weeks on a business assignment, I did have to get my door key redone a few times but it was uncertain how long I was going to stay due to the nature of the assignment. Overall it was a pleasant experience and affordable. Good location near several amenities.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2008

First off, the rooms in reality look NOTHING like the pictures on the web site. They are very small, cramped, and filthy. I initially was going to stay here for two nights because my pickup truck was being repaired at a local dealership after one of my brake calipers got stuck while I was traveling through the area, but after seeing the state of this hotel up close and spending one night I checked out the next day and stayed the second night at the Howard Johnson's across the street, which was like night and day.

This Travelodge is most definitely the worst I've stayed at in my entire life. I asked for a corner room at the end of the building where it would be more quiet and was given a center upper floor room with a family next door with a baby - I think it was either made into an apartment for the manager or for the hired help. The room was very small and cramped. The air conditioner did not work. The heat did not work. Two lamps had no light bulbs in them. The coffee maker did not work. The bathroom was full of mold. The in-room safe was locked and could not be used (and at this hotel you DEFINITELY want to lock up your valuables if you need to leave for a bit).

Behind the hotel is another seedy dump of a motel with a sign saying "truckers welcome" and there indeed were a LOT of truckers at that hotel and apparently quite a few at the Travelodge as well. Along with the truckers, there were two "lot lizards" seen mulling about and going from one room to another (prostitutes). There was also a drunk trucker who apparently thought my room was his and he kept trying to get in until I confronted him (he was very drunk and disoriented and not a friendly person) and told him to get away or I would call the police.

The bedspread it turned out REEKED of the sweat and grime from many others before me so I ripped it off the bed and slept in a chilly room with no heat and just one thin covering.

Very miserable experience, worst hotel I've encountered in Washington State - total disrepair, filthy, and a very undesirable shady crowd surrounding it.

The next morning when I checked out I went directly across the large busy street to Howard Johnson's which was well kept, CLEAN, everything in the room worked, the linens were fresh and clean, the staff members were clean and friendly (the Travelodge staff had looked and smelled like homeless people), and the manager at the Howard Johnson hotel was very helpful when I could not get my room card to work initially.

All in all - AVOID THIS TRAVELODGE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN!!! I highly recommend booking a room at the Howard Johnson motel across the street, (Fife, Washington, near Port of Tacoma) because it quite literally is like night and day, total astounding difference!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank forksbear
Reviewed August 31, 2008

When you look at the pictures of the rooms it's not what you find when you arrive to your room. when we got there we got our room no. went to the room to discover that someone was already in that room
so the front counter apoligized she said the gal that was there earlier didn't mark it in the books so we went to the next room and you can tell that they did some work on it but the room was to crowded with furniture that was never in pictures on website the phone was old and didn't work very well It had a musky smell to it when you walked in, the cleaning staff was cleaning next to our room at 11 at night when we were trying to go to sleep the continental Breakfast was nothing to brag about the safe was locked so you couldn't use it the air condition/heater was old and gross looking lamps old need to be replaced the toilet was not clean and stained the bathroom was very small I would rather stay in a best western for more money than stay there again there was suppose to be 2 queen beds and it wasn't it was a full size bed and queen
Also when we went down for breakfast the gal at the front counter was talking to one the customers complaining about having no running water that was interesting
The gal at the front desk was very polite and respectly and was willing to help if she could. she's doing a great job.

Stayed: August 2008
travelodge253, Assistant manager at Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2009

Dear customer,
I was very sorry to read about your time at the Travelodge. Since your stay many of our rooms have been updated with a more comfortable layout. In addition to our renovations we have upgraded our continental breakfast. We now serve 2 juices, coffee, milk, cereal, muffins, bagles w/cream cheese, oatmeal and a variety of fruit. Everyday we strive to make the Travelodge a more comfortable welcoming environment for our guest, your review has been a great help. We hope to see you soon at the Travel lodge.

Sincerely
assistant manager, Chloe Kephart

Reviewed April 20, 2008

When we came in, upon reading the reviews, i was really nervous. And when we parked our car, we saw that the motel was revonating, which made me more nervous. However the front desk lady's confidence and helpfulness really busted me.

The room we stayed in was totally not bad!!!! It had a microwave and refrigerator, and tiled shower and sink, I was impressed. The beds were okay.

In the morning, we skipped the continetal breakfast and went across to the Freddies Casino which was great.

However, what I loved was the helpfulness. When i reached the motel, I had difficultlty with the luggage and the laundry women helped me carry it all the way down the stair!

I have to say, i was pleased, since i got what i paided for.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kellyNewYorkCity
Reviewed May 27, 2007

cheap price as long as you don't mind torn and worn carpets, tabacco streaks on the bathroom walls, the wonderful view of the junk behind the building and a run down motel from the window, the stained mattresses, and burn holes thru the bedding. The pictures the motel posts must have been taken many years ago, very deceiving because its not nearly as nice as the pictures they show. The only good thing was the ability to park our 18 wheeler.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed May 3, 2006

The room was absolutely disgusting. There were nictoine stains on the walls, and the smell was horrible. Not only was there holes in the walls, but the staff was very rude. The housekeeping ladies just walked in without waiting for us to answer, and this happened twice in one day. We also asked for extra towels and toiletries, and waited about 6-8 hours to get them. I would advise anyone looking at the travelodge to spend a few more dollars per night and check out one of the other many hotels in the area.

• Stayed: May 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fife
Extended Stay America - Tacoma - Fife
Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#12 of 28 in Tacoma

Been to Travelodge Port of Tacoma WA? Share your experiences!