“good stuff”

Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ferndale
“good stuff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

excellent food, nice people and really good prices

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at the Silver Reef Casino as part of a girls-getaway-weekend. Hotel was modern and clean with tasteful decor. I selected this hotel based on price and access to entertainment (casino) and was very satisfied with both.
We found when we arrived the casino resort was in the middle of nowhere (or so it seemed there was nothing around for miles). There is no hotel guest parking and parking was hard to find on a long weekend as the lot was packed with parked RV's. In the morning there was a woman in the parking lot with a hairdryer plugged into an electrical output in the hotel external hookup....very odd.
We went straight for dinner upon a late arrival. I wanted to go to the steakhouse restaurant but was told they were full - was not given an indication on if we could make a reservation or get in at a later time -so we ended up at the restaurant/buffet.
I was surprised by the quality of food; I had read previous reviews claiming the food was very good but found it not great -average at best. For $20 my steak was very thin, gristly and very overcooked. The garlic mashed potatoes were bone dry and lumpy. On the plus side Caesar salad was very good and alcoholic drinks were cheap. We went for the champagne brunch in the morning which was pretty good basic buffet - although some of the food was very rich (ie more meat and cheese and heavy sweets and not much fruit and lighter options). We were also surprised that there was no toast provided. Champagne was free flowing and was a nice way to start the day before shopping.
Had good sleep - beds were good although a little firm for my taste. The noise however was terrible - there is a good inch of space between the floor and the door to the hallway. People traveling in the hallways sound like they are in your room - we were lucky to have a semi quiet floor but could definitely be a problem if you had noisy neighbors.
The spa was lovely - although we didn't have the opportunity to take advantage. Pool and hot tub are very small but were open till 11 pm.
We found the staff to be under trained and not very helpful compared to the casino resort we had stayed in the previous night, but all in all - the price was great and it was a better option than any of the nearby chain hotels!

1 Thank SunSeekerVictoriaBC
federal way
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

Hubby and I stayed for our 34th wedding anniversary I found it on the internet and the Sat. night special rate was right. We were looking for a week-end get away and this was perfect. The rooms were very nice and we had a complimentary breakfast included. The casino was nice sized enough to keep us busy during the evening and we were able to find empty slot machines to play and the games were up to date. We did eat dinner at the buffet and it was as good as most Prime Rib buffets go and the wait staff was very attentive. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub it was pretty busy with families in the afternoon and they also have a spa, but we didn't use any of these amenties. The location is out in the country a bit and on Sunday we were able to take a drive along the coast to Birch Bay St. Park and decided to cross the border into Canada since we were so close, getting to and from the Silver Reef Hotel and Casino is very easy using I-5.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank webfeetmama
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

This hotel is a hidden gem with wonderful staff!

Since the location is off the beaten track, it is surprising to find everything you need in one location. I would have to say that I was very impressed when I stayed here!

The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The hotel has many places to dine and the casino to have some fun in.

The staff are very friendly and down to earth. Great place to be! Try it out!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sjcan8119
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

The Silver Reef continues to offer good value for your dollar. I am a Blackjack player and they offer a good 2 deck game with favourable rules. The casinos in the lower mainland of British Columbia do not offer good value and have become addicted to continuous shuffle machines as well as high table minimums. The Silver Reef offers good dining choices, I have stayed at this property more than once and have never been disapointed. Staff are friendly and helpful, the price of alcohol is reasonable (unlike the overpriced booze in B.C.) the present a very good package and I will be taking my entertainment dollars here more often

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — second hand smoke
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

We have stayed at the Silver Reef several times while attending events in the area. We always book a room on the 6th floor as we have found it to be the "best" floor. Last time we booked in March and arrived at the hotel in June to find that we did not get booked into the room we wanted. They had upgraded us to a one bedroom suite and the bedroom was as big as the room we normally stay in there. Fantastic...one and a half baths, large jacuzzi tub and a shower that would fit at least 4 people comfortably. The sitting area had a large couch and a wet bar, lots of room, only wish I could afford to stay there every time.

The hotel has a number of features that, unfortunately, we have yet to use. The included buffet breakfast is very nice, a good way to start the day.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Smoking allowed in casino and some rooms which tends to drift through the hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chilli56
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

A few months back, my fiance (now wife) and I realized we had fallen a bit behind on booking a venue for our rehearsal dinner. We wanted something nice, but needed someplace that wouldn't cost too much. We spoke with the Silver Reef and found that they would be able to accomodate us. The rest was mostly an afterthought - we put down a $200 deposit, had them set aside a block of rooms for three days, and picked what we would have them serve for dinner.

I arrived at the Silver Reef on Wednesday and stayed in one of their rooms with a King bed. The hotel was obviously on top of their game because I was greeted with a box of chocolates and a hand written note, thanking me for booking our event with the hotel. The room was very clean, very modern and well decorated, and offered plenty of space. The bathroom had plenty of space to get ready (which was important for me since I was staying there the night before our wedding), marble countertops, and a well-lit vanity in addition to the sink counter.

The bed was firm but comfortable, and they had plenty of pillows and soft sheets (not too plush, but more than sufficient).

I had my laptop with me during my stay, and found that the wifi offered in the rooms was pretty fast. I did notice though that the network antenna was literally right outside my window, and the signal wasn't very strong (three of five bars). I'm guessing that there may be rooms in the hotel where the signal is fairly weak, but they do have ethernet lines in the room should that be the case.

The only things that surprised me about the room were the small bathtub, and the fact that the tv wasn't a flat screen - which seemed out of place since the room and hotel were so new.

Our rehearsal dinner went off without any incident whatsoever. The food was fantastic and nearly every one of our guests made comments to that effect. This was especially nice since we had put no effort into the night - it was all due to the attention paid by the staff at the Silver Reef. Our guests also enjoyed the casino, although the new slot machine/card/membership system is rather counter-intuitive. Also, the smoke filtration system needs a fair amount of work - some people opted not to gamble simply because it was so smoky.

When I returned to my room after the rehearsal dinner, I found chocolate covered cookies and another hand-written note wishing luck for the next day.

All in all, the Silver Reef was a great experience. Its proximity to Ferndale and Bellingham worked out great for us, but that aside, the facility and staff are to be commended.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank murph929
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferndale
Oxford Suites Bellingham
#7 of 26 in Bellingham
The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
#15 of 26 in Bellingham

Been to Silver Reef Hotel Casino and Spa? Share your experiences!