“Thoroughly Enjoyable”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ferndale
Surrey, Canada
“Thoroughly Enjoyable”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I spent Feb 18/12 at the Silver Reef Hotel. We were very pleased with the property and the good impression started before we entered the hotel. It was a rainy, windy afternoon in Ferndale, and when we parked in the lot, as I was getting out of the car, the parking lot security SUV appeared at the foot of our car and offered us a ride to the hotel front door. How nice was that?! We were a few hours early to check in so we spent some time in the casino while we waited. The casino has most of the latest games and we had some luck. They also have a separate non-smoking slot area with a good selection of machines if that's what you are looking for. We had a small problem with my husband's players card points, but the casino floor staff managed to resolve it to our satisfaction. Check-in at the hotel was a breeze, and the front desk staff were friendly and cheerful. The room was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. I was a little surprised, as one other poster remarked, that the TV was not a flat screen, but, whatever. We were just steps from the elevator and I worried that we might hear people coming and going all night as the casino is open 24 hours, but that was not the case. We both slept very well. My only complaint with the room was that it didn't have a little refrigerator, and I sorely missed having one. We ate that night at the Steak House, which was marvelous. The food and the service was top notch. The portions were so large that there was no way we could finish our meals or even attempt a dessert. I would have had our leftovers packed up and taken them with us, but we had no fridge to put them in. :(
During a conversation with a hotel employee the following day, we came to learn that some rooms do have fridges, but you have to specifically ask for one at booking. I'll remember that for next time, because there will certainly be a next time. All in all, a lovely weekend getaway and I'm already looking forward to going back to the Reef.

Room Tip: If you want a fridge, ask for one at booking.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adriansmum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Decent hotel, but our room was close to the common room/elevators on the Executive floor and it was very loud due to a birthday party going on. The smell of deep fried chinese (from the restaurant 6 floors below) permeated the air. Had dinner at the steak hour, HUGE portions!! Could have easily shared a steak and side dish. HUGE wine selection, literally 15 pages, it was a bit overwhelming.... Would we come back?? Probably not.....

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank rivergirl1pr
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We just came back from the "Reef". If you want a quick get away to relax and enjoy this is an inexpensive mini getaway location. There is not much else to do as the hotel is isolated but there is fantastic shopping or a movie theater 10 minutes away.

Food: There are a few choices for food. There is a Pizza place that has pretty good food at a decent price. There is a buffet which is a bit pricey but good enough. If you stay in the hotel you get a buffet breakfast but you need to be there before 10am. If you don't use your buffet coupons you receive when you stay at the hotel, you can use the 5$ coupon towards an amazing sweet treat at the cafe. The Panasia restaruant is excellent. The food is served family style so don't order to much. There is also a steak house there that everyone states is excellent but we have not tried it yet.

Pool: There is a small pool at the hotel with a jacuzzi and a sauna which are very nice. The pool is a bit on the cool side but very clean and refreshing.

Spa: this is my favorite place in the hotel. I have used their services many times and I have to say that the services are outstanding.. Wonderful pedicures, manicures, variety of massages, exfoliant service, facials and so much more. The value is fantastic and if you stay at the hotel you receive 25% off any one spa service.

Hotel rooms: The rooms are tastefully decorated, nothing fancy but clean. The smoking floor can be a bit noisy on a weekend so you may want to stay on the executive level. The rooms are the same but much quieter.

Casino: We don't play the tables but they are always jumping on a weekend. The slots are not bad. Not a lot of large payouts but you are able to play for a long time if you jump from machine to machine when you get a small win and every now and then you can get a few hundred dollars. Much better than a lot of other casinos.

Service: The people in the hotel are wonderful. They are very nice, helpful and always willing to go the extra mile to make your visit that much nicer. Maggie at the Buffet always greets you with a smile. The employees seem to enjoy thier jobs which makes for a great mini getaway.

Room Tip: If you choose a room on the smoking floor ask for one at the end of the hall, it is much quieter or...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vh2487
Seattle WA
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel before. The rooms are spacious and clean. My complaint is that the hotel entries and lobbys are increasingly starting to smell like cigarette smoke and I found this very strong on this last visit. The hotel has a great steakhouse. I ate there with a business client. The food was fabulous and the service great. The casino is small and I found that slots did not pay out very much. Would stay again and good price for an average room.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TikiTravels
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at the Silver Reef just after Christmas. What a great getaway! The rooms are nice and big. The bed was one of the most comfy hotel beds that I have slept in. The service was great from everyone that we dealt with. We had dinner at the Red River Cafe and it was great. We just had the buffet and there was a little bit of everything. Great desserts as well!
We didn't have time to use the pool but did have a peek in and it looked relaxing and clean.
Breakfast was included with our stay. The breakfast room was a bit unorganized...not sure if it was because they were understaffed but it seemed to take a long time to get tables cleaned and there were alot of people trying to find clean tables, but the food was good and there was a good variety of items to choose from.
We will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We have stayed at the hotel for 1 night. The hotel is OK.
We will never go to that casino again:
#1 - Their slots are not looser than any other casino.
#2 - They never give you a break on beer/cocktail drinks - no "happy hour" like many other casinos.
#3 - Their buffet is expensive for the variety and quality of food served - no deals at all there except for their Monday lunch.
#4 - I used to be able to get my complimentary green tea for which I always tipped. As of a few wks ago, their green tea is now considered a "specialty" tea and they charge for it. That really ticked me off so a couple of times I got hot water from them (and tipped) and used my own tea bag. Yesterday (Dec 6/11) I went to the casino and went to the Barista and asked for a large cup of hot water, money in hand prepared to pay a tip or pay for the paper cup. They wanted to charge me $2. That was the last straw.
That casino is off my list and I will encourage all my friends to boycott that casino as well. I'm a senior and when I go, I always take 2-3 of my friends as they don't drive. Believe me, Silver Reef has lost their business also as I will not drive them there (and they agree with my decision), and I will be spreading the word to all my other casino friends and will encourage them to tell their friends as well.
Lucky for us, there are lots of other casinos around. SILVER REEF - GOODBYE!!!!
I would be very surprised to see my review posted.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank kenodi
Port Moody, BC
Reviewed December 2, 2011

The room we had was awesome and the price was very reasonable. After signing up for a players card (free) we were able to each get a free buffet. Very nice and great getaway.

Room Tip: If you book with your players card you get an additional discount.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DarlenePortMoody_BC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferndale
Hotel Bellwether
#1 of 26 in Bellingham
Quality Inn Grand Suites
Quality Inn Grand Suites
#18 of 26 in Bellingham

Been to Silver Reef Hotel Casino Spa? Share your experiences!