“Still the best!”

Dining options: Reservations
Kent, Washington
“Still the best!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've been going to Tokyo's in Federal Way for years now and it's always delicious! My boyfriend and I have started going on a more regular basis now that we live closer and we enjoy it each and every time. The pricing is great, food is delicious and beer is yummy! They interior updates have realy added a lot to the place and the staff is just as friendly as they have always been entertaining the whole table with their "butter-fly" and "egg roll".
Looking forward to my next visit and buying more "A2" sauce for the house as it is delicious on almost everything!

• Visited July 2011

Tacoma
“Gone downhill, bad customer service”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We used to go to Tokyo Steakhouse, however over the past couple of years the quality and quantity of food has gone down while the price has gone up. We understand harder economic times; however, if you are going to cut back on quality and quantity don't raise the price or vice versa.

Also the service is hit and miss, depending on who your waitress is, the last time we were there the waitress misunderstood our order and the chef never confirmed our order until he was actually cooking it, when the error was discovered. They were actually going to charge us for the meal since the chef started cooking it. The kicker was the manager claimed the waitress had confirmed our order and so did the chef. Some of the other diners, whom we didn't know, spoke up and validated our claim, whereupon, they reluctantly re-did the order. By re-doing the order, our meal was just cooked (no show) because they had to get the correct ingredients and bring it out and by that time the chef had already finished cooking the food for the other diners.

We would not have been so peeved at this were it not for 1) they attempted to blame us for the error 2) they were going to charge us had the other diners not said anything 3) there was no appology instead WE GOT A LECTURE from the manager on speaking up about a wrong order (huh? We did once we found out the chef was cooking the wrong order for us, where is customer service?)

That incident was the icing on the cake, we won't be back, we'd rather drive a little farther to go to Sakura in Tacoma where at least we are treated nicely and when we did have a problem with our order there (same thing, language barrier), the manager was understanding and made it right without lecturing us. The prices and food are about the same at both places, Sakura just raised their prices a bit, but the quantity and quality remained the same.

Federal Way
“Money grubbing”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I used to go here a lot. Whenever my wife would go in for surgery I attended daily for lunch. Recently the service went downhill. It was bad to begin with but got worse. I began noticing the chefs would cook my (our when my wife was with me) food last. They would cook our vegetables first and while the veggies went cold the chef would cook every single item of the other guest's orders while we sat there wondering what was up. I always thought it was because we generally came in a few minutes behind those already seated. I found out the reason for the exceptionally poor service when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Today's date is 4/29/010. My food (veggies) were getting cold and the other orders being cooked and I was (again) wondering what was going on. The chef wouldn't even look my way but spoke to and entertained the other guests exclusively. I was completely humiliated. When I left I complained and the head waitress said that I come there a lot and I don't tip. "You are here all the time and when we go to table there is no money. The staff only get minimum wage and you don't tip." I informed her I would never be back. I read other reviews online and several people have had this confrontation by the management there. If one does not tip they are treated with utter disdain and disrespect. And this is a deliberate punishment for non-tippers by management. The reason my wife and I do not tip is because Asians have a community tip cup. At the end of the shift they split the money. Those who work less get as much of a reward as those who work hard. In case someone wants to get stupid over our policy, my wife has worked at The Village Inn Pancake House in Federal Way for over fifteen years. We OVER tip where ever we go. Most in Federal Way and the Puget Sound area know us well. We are not apposed to tipping (remember, my wife is a waitress) we just don't agree with the community cup. One more tidbit: my wife and I love Dim Sum and we frequent Asian restaurant throughout the Puget Sound. These people know us and have never EVER given poor service because we don't tip. The tip is not that important to them, customer service is. I do not recommend the Japanese Steakhouse to anyone because of their mistreatment of certain customers who don't tip. My wonderful wife has been a waitress for over 25 years and has never given bad service to those who don't tip and many regulars to her restaurant don't tip either because of age or financial reasons and they get excellent service from the awesome waitresses at the Village Inn. Hope this helps.

3 Thank Writestuff1
NE Tacoma
“Greater then Benihana”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Been to Benihanas in Seattle and have never been back. For the price and quality of food Tokyo Japanese Steak House out does the competition. Recommended for people of all ages and for any occasion.

NWdude83
“Nothing special”
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Food was ok, mostly went for the experiance.