“Not what it used to be”

Best Western Plus Seattle/Federal Way
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Federal Way
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel in the past and had a great experience. Earlier this month we rented two rooms for three nights. From the moment we tried to check in things went from bad to worse. The rooms that we had reserved were not what they gave us. Then they charged us $40.00/night more for the rooms that we had already reserved and paid for in advance. This was way more than was posted on their web site. There were no blankets on the beds and the heating system pumped out cold air all night long. We finally resorted to sleeping in our winter coats to avoid frost bite. The next day they failed to clean our rooms and bring us fresh towels. After two phone calls to get clean towels, we finally went downstairs and got them ourselves. The blankets never did arrive and the heater never did produce heat, just cold air. When the charge went through on my VISA card, they had added on more charges for the rooms. When I called to question why, I was told that because the hotel was completely full that night, the rooms cost more...WHAT! I have been trying to reach the manager to find out why but he refuses to return my phone calls. Needless to say, we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Seattle/Federal Way

Reviewed March 11, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Michael W
Reviewed March 9, 2013

the internet did not work for our Ipad family the three days we were there. We asked about it Wednesday evening and we were told they had received not other complaints and that it must be an issue with our equipment. When we tried our regualar laptop in several different locations in the hotel we were still not able to get wifi. Each day of our stay we asked the front desk about not geing able get wifi, and were given no suggestions or information about their being a problem. Just that it must be our issue. We did not recieve wifi until Saturday morning of our stay. I plan each day to study my on line college courses on the internet from 4am until 7am. This really hindered my study time because I had to leave the building and find a Starbucks to study at. I was really dissapointed in this part of my stay. We spoke to several other people who also said they were not reciving wifi. Not sure why we were unable to recieve access so long and then when nothing on our part changed but were suddenly able to connect was a happy moment, but also on our check out day.:( I would would also have like to have more variety of fruit and some veges at the breakfast bar. Not too The amount of protein was terrific, but I don't eat all the bread stuff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is an aged property that asks top dollar due to the proximity to Weyhauser Pool. Not worth the price. If you can get at room at the Courtyard across the street, do it! Nothing at the BW Evergreen has been updated, the TV's are huge boxes, the fixtures in the bathrooms are worn and the gym is small, stuffy and makes working out painful. Most frustrating however is the inaccurate claim that wireless is available. It only works in the lobby. Either update your wireless or present access accurately. On the positive side, the room was clean. But then, it should be that shouldn't be a perk.

Room Tip: try to get one not facing the freeway
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Staying here is one HUGE nightmare. I feel bad for Tisha, Shayla, Laura, and Chris who have to constantly explain why the internet and TV's are not working. The elevator didnt work at one point for almost two months, how is that possoble? They have great customer service skills, but how are they to really do a SUPERIOR job when nothing in the hotel is working properly? I dont know about you but management really needs to take a step back and see that their hotel is falling apart. I constantly see new employees...why is that? Hope this is an eye opener to future guests staying here, its too bad really...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank redlinesayan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed at numerous BW's from Seattle to San Diego and never been in a nicer location. These folks have really raised the bar for my expectations at BW locations. Staff was pleasant, professional, friendly, efficient. Lobby was spotless and nicely decorated. My suite was exceptional.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My family and I have stayed at this hotel over the past several years during our frequent (2+ times per year) trips to Puget Sound to visit family and friends. It is the only hotel in the area with reasonably priced 2 bedroom suites with enough beds and room for a 5 person family with teenagers.
The rooms are clean and well maintained. The breakfast is very nice, with a broad selection of items available.
The lounge is a nice plus for a beer or glass of wine at the end of the day.
In December of 2012, while visiting for the Holidays, we arrived to find that the elevator was not working, and was not repaired during our 4 night stay. Staff had to use the fire key to run the elevator manually.
This month (Feb. 2013), we stayed 5 nights to attend a funeral. Upon arrival, I was told my pre-paid 2 room suite was not available, as it had been reserved already. Although I booked on Hotels.com, I had confirmation that the specific room was paid for. They offered to put us in adjoining rooms (2 kings), which I was willing to consider if a roll-away was available, which it was not (lots of sports teams in the building). I was placed in the position of accepting their offer and putting a kid on the floor, or be insistent. So I told them that they had to give me the room I paid for, which they finally agreed to.
My kids, being out of school, had homework assignments they needed to retrieve via the internet and complete. We were suprised to find that although the wifi connected, there was no internet service. This persisted throughout the 5 night stay.
However, the staff are odd if not downright strange, and maybe even standoffish and rude at times.
Although I really like this hotel, I might start shopping other hotels in the area if these problems persist. Too frustrating to deal with.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mall side are quieter than the freeway side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family