“all fun!”

Wild Waves Theme & Water Park
Ranked #5 of 19 things to do in Federal Way
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Two GREAT Parks. One LOW Price! Wild Waves, Washington’s only combination theme and water park, offers classic thrill rides for the entire family plus the region’s best outdoor water park. Home to the giant Timberhawk Ride of Prey wooden coaster, Wild Waves Theme & Water Park is open seasonally from May to December, including Fright Fest and Holiday With Lights.
Seattle, WA
“all fun!”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Last summer, my family and I went to Wild Waves for the first time. We were pleasently suprised by the many exciting rides, both dry and wet. There was something for everyone and the lines went fast. Though the tickets were a bit pricey, at the end of day, we all agreed this event was extremely fun! After looking at other reviews and comparing my experience, I feel that if you live in Washington, Wild Waves is a must!

Puyallup, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Never pay full price”
Reviewed October 30, 2007

My family lives within 20 minutes of the park, so we decided to get "season tickets" at Costco. They were about $72 each and for a family of 5, $350 seemed reasonable since you can use them in October (Fright Fest) and Dec (Fantasy Lights). We did, indeed, get out money's worth, but it takes more than a little planning. First, weekends are out. Going on ANY sunny weekend ensures that you will stand a 1/2 hour to hour + in line for almost anything you want to do, including buying an overpriced meal (You cannot bring food inside), and you will be standing all day long because finding a place to sit near any attraction will be a challange. (There is a large patch of grass between the 2 attractions (caution: goose droppings, bring blankets or towels).

However, if you have the luxury of being able to go on the weekdays, you can show up approx 20-30 minutes before it opens (10am), get a decent parking spot and will probably be early enough to grab a couple of lounge chairs by the wave pool to sit in and leave your stuff (if you leave it, however, I am told on occassion your stuff will be "moved" or "removed" but I did not have this experience). We packed a lunch in the cooler in the car (many people do) with drinks and food and since we were close enough to the entrance, we could leave to go eat and return. The lines for the water rides still get long about an hour or so after they open, so we do all the really good ones first (like the tube ones since you have to stand in line to get a tube and another line to ride the attraction.) During the summer weekdays, we didn't find too much challenge waiting in lines for the dry rides, so when the crowds get big, we went to the wave pool and dry rides.

The problem with the "enchanted Parks" side (dry rides) is that there is just too few rides for too much walking and too many people. We just went there this weekend for Fright Fest and my kids hated it (8, 13, and 17 all boys). In hindsight, earlier in the month would be better. Every ride had a long line. The haunted house line was about 2 hours long, we left since it was about 35 degrees out. It was wall to wall people just milling about since there were too few things for everyone to do. So, mostly it's a place for teenagers to hang out. Ok for them, but I am a little past my "hanging out days". The only added attractions for fright fest are the haunted house and magic show and there were huge lines and way too many people for both.

My boys like the Timber Axe (goes upside down) and the wooden roller coaster is great but always has long lines. The metal coaster is fun and goes upside down, it's short so it goes through twice. There's a "ring of fire" and Pirate ship that goes upside down and that's about it for "thrill rides". The log plume ride is essentially a circle that takes forever and basically just gets you and passerby's wet. Then you have the "octopus" (the buckets don't spin) and "tea cups (which give you a real work out to spin), about 5-6 more carnival type rides like that (hanggliding, bumper cars, ect.), giant slide and about 6-7 little guy rides. There is alot of walking and much of it up or down hill. (Not a criticism, just a notation for those taking easily fatigued folks with them).

We haven't been to the Fantasy Lights, but the boys already don't want to go (odd when boys don't want to go to a theme park), still contemplating the season pass for next year......

35 Thank Searndipity
Seattle, Washington
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Fun place - enjoy like a local”
Reviewed August 27, 2007

What not to like:

Really dirty change room and bathrooms,
Expensive and terrible food,
No shade,
Long lines for water rides,
Packed on hot days.

Get over it - My kids and their friends love Wild Waves.

Here is how locals do it:

Admission. Way to expensive at the gate - discounted tickets are sold as fund raisers all over the Seattle area for around $20 If you are local, Costco sells season passes for $67. A season pass not only pays for itself in 2-3 visits, but comes with a coupon book with bring a friend free, 2 for one entries and bring a friend for $10. I got in an entire birthday party for almost nothing with our family's season tickets and coupons.

Food: Food is way overpriced and terrible. You can bring bottled water into the park. Do it. Also bring a cooler with snacks, lunch etc. When it is time to eat go to the car. you will get a hand stamp at the reentry gate. You will be tailgating it with hundreds of others. It is also possible to sneak food in through the reentry. There is also a Costco about a mile down the road, buy a pizza for $10 there and eat it in the lot.

Rides: There are usually very short lines, or none, for the rides. The water park lines can be really long. If you are willing to be a bit cold, go on a cloudy day and there will not be any lines for the water rides. Otherwise get there when it opens and do the water rides for an hour or two and then again near the end of the day.

Primo bonus: Season tickets are good at all 6 Flags Parks. I got in to Six Flags in San Fran which has a gate fee of around $50. This will change next year as they were bought by another company.

The gross factor: I don't have any advice for that. I have seen poop in the wave pool (they shut it down to remove it). First thing in the morning the changing room is filthy with clothes, and misc. debris from the night before. Same for the bathrooms. There is also very little shade. We put up with it, but a bit of change would be nice.

6 Thank Kevin R
British Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Yuck.”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Picture your typical dirty midway carnival rides. Add a crowd of rude young adults who swear and spit. Now add a few water slide attractions. Picture yourself and your lovely family with young kids walking barefoot from in between the water attractions on the filthy pavement through the crowds to wait half and hour or longer to get onto a ride. Now imagine the grossest change rooms. There, you have it.

9 Thank Zingera
Portland, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great place and fun for the whole family!”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We went to Wild Waves July 25th, 2007. We are a family of four. Two adults and two children age 9 and 4. We bought two adult tickets via Costco for 21.00 or 22.00 each (can't remember) and we bought two tickets at the park for the kids. It was Burger King day so the two tickets for the kids were 26.00 each. They would of been 35.00 and 30.00. Costco did not sell kids tickets (under 48") only adults.

Anyhoo.....we got there around noon and parked which was easy. Parking is 10.00 but every amusement park we have been to including hotels in Seattle charge us much more then 10.00. We saw many families eating near their cars before going into the park. We ate before the park at our hotel. We got in and had a great time. The workers were very nice and all of the workers on the rides made sure all the kids were locked and belted before the ride started. The park was pretty clean and food was fine. Yes expensive but like I said, every amusement park is very expensive for food. Disneyland charges 10.00 for a hamburger and fries. I paid 8.00 here. I bought a large soda and we all shared it over the day. It was plenty. They have water fountains and the main gate did check my carry in bag but he didn't check inside. He only felt it along the sides for bottles I guess.

So for a family of 4, our tickets were 90.00, parking 10.00 and food and snacks about 40.00 for 6 hours there. It was worth it and the kids had so much fun. We will go back next year for sure. BTW, our county fair charges 7.00 to get in and 25.00 for a unlimited ride bracelet so it comes out to the same amount for a family plus they charge us parking too. I liked Wild Waves better then the fair because if you get hot you can take a dip in the water and wear your swim suit all over the park and keep cool.

My son and dh did not pay for a tube, they gave them out when you were in line. The lines where pretty short IMO. The log ride was a 5 min wait and the small kid rides where shorter. Roller coasters were much longer but then they are the big rides.

Go with a open mind and wallet and have fun.

5 Thank Makemineadouble