“Great staff, good size comfortable rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel Seattle Federal Way

Clarion Hotel Seattle Federal Way
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Federal Way
Sutton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Great staff, good size comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for 8 nights. First impression was good and the young lady on reception was very friendly, polite and helpful. Our room was on the first floor. Good size with 2 large comfy beds. The room had new furniture in but it needed decorating. New tv, microwave and fridge. There was ironing board and iron. The bathroom was adequate but very badly needed upgrading. Such a pity as, although it was cleaned daily, it looked really tired and really does need doing. Lovely white towels, I am not sure why the coffee pod machine was in the bathroom. Would prefer it in the bedroom. The air conditioning unit was under the window and was extremely noisy. Room faced the road so needed to pull curtains. If air con was on then the curtains just blew out into the room. So maybe this unit should have been be replaced and the room redecorated prior to putting in new furniture. I realise this would be an expensive task to upgrade all rooms but with the amount of hotels to choose from it has to be worth it. Breakfast was ok but not great. Having said this we are from UK so are used to bacon, beans etc with variety of eggs. We did try the meals in the bar but would definitely not recommend. Very little choice and it was overcooked, dry and pretty tasteless. Salad consisted of masses of iceberg lettuce, a small tomato and a little dressing. There was no proper restaurant in the hotel. We enjoyed our stay but feel this charming hotel with such lovely staff could offer more to guests in food and bedroom decor. Thank you The Clarion for your help during our stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Papillon71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I wanted to like this hotel, but can not give it a good/average rating. There are quite a few positives about it, so I'll start with those. The complimentary breakfast is excellent. There are three hot dishes that are rotated during the week, some bread and bagels, cereal, fruit, juices, coffee, tea, make your own waffle station and some pastries. The fitness center is adequate. A couple of treadmills, an elliptical and a universal weight machine. The pool and jacuzzi were functional, but the "heated" pool was too cold to take a dip in at night and the jacuzzi was luke warm the first night (but was adjusted later on in my stay). The morning front desk worker, Rebecca, and the evening bar tender were nice and accomodating. Our room was quiet, large and I was able to sleep well.
On to the negatives...The first night sleeping there, my girlfriend and I were bitten by bed bugs (4 or 5 bites each). We brought it up to the front desk, and they offered to switch rooms for us, but they didn't want to inconvenience us by moving us, so we opted to have the staff give the room a "deep clean" and inspection while we were out for the day. When we got back to our room, I plugged in my phone for a charge, and next to the outlet on the couch was a big wad of gum on the side of the couch. Because our room was supposed to have a "deep clean" we wondered how carefully they did this, if a large piece of gum wasn't even seen on the couch. Having had a long day, we slept on it and decided to bring it up in the morning. Housekeeping knocked on our door at 7:30 to clean our room. Having been awoken so early, I went down and told the front desk about the gum. Rebecca agreed that wasn't a good sign of "deep cleaning" and said she would switch us to a new room. She also gave us complimentary drinks to use at their bar for the inconvenience. She said the last thing we should have to do on vacation is to have to worry about our room and accomodations; that we should be comfortable. Unfortunately, that night another incident occured that prevented us from that. We left our room around 9am for breakfast, to go hike, and to do some site seeing. We left our beds undone, and towels on the bathroom floor to be cleaned, and did NOT leave a do not disturb sign out so our room would be cleaned. Upon coming back to our room close to midnight, we saw that our room was untouched. Housekeeping didn't come in at all, we had dirty towels that needed to be changed. At night, there was only one person working all around the hotel. We had to sit around for thirty minutes until we could get take a shower as we waited for new towels to arrive. He said he was only the auditor, anddidn't have the authority to give us credits, a voucher for another branch or a refund. Since we booked through an American Express site, he said there was nothing he could do, but he would leave a note for the morning staff. The following morning, I spoke with the morning staff, and she was unaware of the incident, but found it in the computer when I asked. She said she would contact the assistant general manager, Kayla and try to give me more info. They offered us a 25% discount for a future stay. After I had breakfast, she told me she got in touch with her, but she wouldn't be able to do anything until Monday when she comes to the office. Because I was already checking out on Saturday, I left my number and waited until Monday. I didn't hear from her by lunch, so I called during my lunch hour and left a message. I still didn't hear from Clarion by Monday night, so my girlfriend called the hotel and left a message. Kayla finally called on Tuesday and said no refund nor voucher for a free stay could be given because they are independantly owned and operated. The 25% off coupon they gave us was only good for their specific branch. Kayla said if we ever visit Seattle and her hotel again, she would personally inspect our room...that and the 25% discount is all they would offer for all the inconvenience.
My girlfriend called corporate and they said that a refund COULD be given even if it was booked through a third party Corporate said they were going to call the GM of this branch and would call me later to discuss this issue. How this all ends is still to be determined...

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool are probably the quietest
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Masigla
PDX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Musty tiny rooms, loud. Would not stay again mainly due to size of room, noise, ODOR. Hard beds.
pro-off I 5. Pool. Clean. Free coffee. Faux creamer. Good service. attentative and polite.
Breakfast TBD.

• Stayed August 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place has the feel of an upscale hotel for a fairly reasonable price. It's a little more than I like to pay for a hotel on a family road trip, but I definitely got a lot of value for the price I paid. Fresh cookies at the front desk; a large, clean room with lots of space for a family of 5; friendly staff; a decent breakfast, and a very nice outdoor pool and hot tub. It was worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were looking for a hotel in the SEA area and it's a tough go during peak season in the great NW. What a pleasant surprise this gem of a hotel is! The Clarion Hotel met all expectations and even more. Warm chocolate chip cookies in the evening, a lovely caring staff, clean / spotless with wonderful amenities in a spacious room. All electronics work and the WiFi is terrific. A lovely pool with jacuzzi to soak in at night with a well maintained property makes for a return visit sometime in the future. Complimentary breakfast every morning in the breakfast room was amazing, the choices were in abundance! The surrounding area is full of shops, restaurants, movie theaters, and don't forget $1 night at the theater up the block! Do yourself (and your family) a favor and stay at this Clarion, you'll be smiling the entire time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had been looking for a place to stay when we finally found the Clarion they had 1 room left. It happened to be a jucuzzi room, didn't need the suite and was hoping for something cheaper, but was tired and couldn't locate anything else in the area.
The staff was really friendly and helpful. We got a good night sleep and woke up to a great breakfast in the morning. They had hot and cold items.
They also have an outdoor spa which was nice to use before leaving.
Definitely next will have to book the Clarion when coming to this part of Washington. Couldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Rocky River, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I travel a lot for work. I was recently put at the Days Inn Tacoma upon arriving in Washington state and it was horrendous. My company moved me to the Clarion which was a tremendous upgrade. The staff here is excellent very polite and helpful. The hotel is VERY clean and the property is well maintained. My room is MUCH nicer than the one I was originally put in at the Days Inn. It's very spacious and very clean. I am on the south side of the hotel which if you get lucky apparently you can see Mount Rainier. There's plenty of restaurants and stores in the area.
One reviewer had mentioned something about the curtains and light coming in the room well I don't know what room they were in but my room has a solid curtain that blocks out all the outside light which is awesome considering I am working 6p to 6a and I need to block out the morning light.

Room Tip: Stay on the southside for views of Rainier.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business