“A Welcomed Surprise”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Federal Way
Crytsal Lake, IL
“A Welcomed Surprise”
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I was nervous about this reservation because it used to be a Best Western and was now a Clarion. I have thought of both of these brand names as potentially dated properties. I was so happy when I pulled in late that rainy night....

The staff was really pleasant when I called for to ask some questions, and upon my check in. I felt like they had really tried hard to make their entrance and lobby feel like a more upscale hotel. 8 months ago the hotel became the first hotel in Federal Way to go completely non-smoking.

When I got to my room it was pleasant enough as well. It had some attributes that are on my list of nice touches. The shower curtain was on one of those bent rods that make more room in the shower. The toiletries were a nice brand name (Nutragena) and the toilet seat lid...when closed...can be sat on without collapsing in or skewing sideways. This is one of my biggest pet peeves; when the plastic toilet seat cover is so thin and cheap that you can't sit on it! Ugh!

They have wireless internet but the signal was a little weak and/or the connection a little slow. In fact, it really didn't work for me at all on the third floor, so I asked to be moved to the second floor. That helped.

They have a pretty extensive breakfast, but much of it wasn't good. The hash browns were hash whites and cold. The eggs were ok. The sausages were overly browned fat sacs. The fruit was brown bananas and canned fruit cocktail. On the bright side, the waffle maker came with strawberry topping and whipped cream, the juice didn't come out of a machine, and there was still plenty of continental breakfast type things to eat. You are not going to go hungry. Also, they serve Boyd coffee, which is good.

The only other thing that this hotel needs to do to really make it tops in my value-level hotels is to start doing the double-sheeted bedding thing and lose the comforters (which are always heavy and questionably clean.)

I booked this room for $75 on Hotwire. If I could get that rate when I call back direct, I would definitely stay here again. I look forward to trying the many restaurants in the area. There is also plenty of shopping, theaters, etc.

• Liked — Staff and nice touches in the room.
  • Disliked — They still use comforters instead of double sheeting.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Krista R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
calgary
Reviewed August 24, 2007

decent motel. rooms were nothing special but clean and comfortable. The included breakfast was above average....looks like the room was a former restaurant area that must have been closed, so it was very spacious. excellent pool and hot spa. good location, quiet. No bar on sight so that keeps the noise down.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank leoburk
Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2007

This place was a weary traveler's delight! It was well located off Highway 5 about 20 minutes or so from downtown Seattle. There were lots of restaurants and shopping closeby. The room was really clean, quiet and well-appointed. The pool looked very inviting although we didn't partake. We found the front desk service very professional and caring. The Internet/Business Center was up and running, unlike several other hotels in which we recently stayed. The breakfast buffet had everything: waffles, sausage gravy/biscuits, bacon, potatoes, sausage, fruit, bagels, donuts, milk, juices, and great coffee/tea. My husband and I enjoyed ourselves so much that we returned for another stay prior to our cruise.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BabyDuckOhio
Vancouver
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We spent one day here. Read all the reviews here before I booked the room -- well, to be honest - I wished I could've spent a few bucks extra and stayed in the Courtyard by Mariott. First off, the lady in the check-in wasn't that courteous or helpful - she was basically like a McDonald's service crew, asked my name and gave me my key . . . even said that she couldn't give me reward points on my Best Western Rewards card bec. they were no longer a "Best Western" - the funny thing is, all the hotel signages still had Best Western in them, from the big sign outside all the way to the card keys. I think she said they were now a "Clarion" but I couldn't be sure since she just mumbled it . . . didn't give me an intro to the hotel like what the amenities were, where to get breakfast, etc. -- she just handed me my card key and that was that . . . even had to look for my room number as she didn't tell me or show me the way there. Went up the stairs, went down, went to the hallway to the left, then back out and to the right and finally I got to my room . . . when I opened the door, it just plain stinks in there . . . probably too much lysol or some other chemical mixed with dust, mold, mildew and anything else that lives in old carpet.
However, the breakfast was a welcome surprise to us. They actually had "hot" breakfast like eggs, hash browns and sausages . . . and it was all very much edible. All in all, I guess you get what you pay for . . . nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank sandman8888
Braunschweig, Germany
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Pro
- real hotel at price of a motel
- good hot breakfast
- view of Mt. Rainier
- Internet, outdoor pool

Con
- Internet a little slow at times

We stayed in the Best Western in Federal Way for two nights during our road trip to the Pacific Northwest. We had a great rate for a good hotel room with a view to Mt. Rainier. The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool and the hot breakfast in the morning was good too. We paid the price of a motel but we got to stay in a nice hotel with all the amenities.

• Liked — Value, breakfast
  • Disliked — Internet speed
  • Stayed July 2007
Anacortes, WA
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We had to scramble to find a hotel to stay in after a concert at White River Ampitheater when Marriott lost our reservation. We used Hotwire to find a last minute bargain. No bargain... they charged us the rack rate even though the clerk at Best Western told us they would have charged us 30% less if we'd called them direct.

I have to say this is a better value than the Marriott, with good clean rooms and great complimentary breakfast. The staff went out of their way to get us the rooms we needed and arrange airport transportation for one of our party who had a very early flight the next day.

Next time we go to a concert at White River, this will be our first choice for hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 30, 2006

We got a really good price on this hotel, so that really helped us appreciate it more. But it is a clean, quiet hotel with a very good continental breakfast, and the people who worked there are very friendly.

There aren't a lot of restaurants in the direct area, but it's not too difficult to find them within a couple of miles...

• Liked — Value for the money and how close it was to our family.
  • Disliked — Not many restaurants in the area directly surrounding the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple