“What's all the fuss about? So-So Southwestern?”
Review of The New Mexicans

The New Mexicans
Ranked #16 of 449 Restaurants in Everett
Cuisines: Southwestern
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had been hearing a lot of fuss from my patients about this new amazing southwestern restaurant in Everett, so a girlfriend and I met there to try it out. I had the chicken and dumplings, and she had the nachos. Her nachos were very yummy, but my dumplings were tough and chewey. So what does that say about a restaurant when the nachos are the better choice of two entrees? The good thing is the pricing. I just might be back to give them another try for that reason, and give something else a try. But going in, my expectations are fairly low.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I found this restaurant when viewing trip advisor, and as I love green chili cheese burgers and had not had one since our trip to Santa Fe, I had to stop. First of all there is no sign on the establishment announcing it as the "New Mexicans" just several New Mexico flags flying on the store front. The best way to describe the location is that it is right next door to the Probation Bistro.

First thing I noticed was the prices were a bit high, but then I found the portions to be more than ample, so all evened out. I had the "Rio Burger" for $12.00, HUGE burger that was much bigger than the 6" bun, w/good cheddar, bacon and all the "fixins". No fry's with the burger, choice of a small dab of beans, baked or pinto. Only could eat half, it is equal to 2 or 3 whoopers. But the down side is Green Chili was $2.00 extra, either sauce or whole chili's. My son had the Red Enchiladas topped two fried eggs, he declared it delicious! I tasted the red chili sauce (NM Hot) and it has just the right amount of heat for me. Is this NM cooking? Maybe. It is not in the style of what we encountered in Santa Fe or Taos. But may-be more home cooking in another part of the state. It was very good and worth a try.

Now the down side, all the sides are an up-charge. In NM you get Sopapillas complementary w/ your meals-here $5.00 for two, red or green chili (or both) are served with most items, here an up-charge. I asked for green chili sauce for my burger and was charged $2.00.

I know margins are thin in the restaurant business, but would advise to modify the menu a bit and add a few "pure" NM items. May-be something close to the Lamb Green Chile burger served at "Burt's Drive-in" in Santa Fe or the Huevos con chorizo w/ cheese and green (or red) chili as served at the Taos Café in Taos.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My sister and stopped in with my son who works in the area. This definitely is not like your everyday chain. It has character . We had pulled pork and a burger, wine and beer. They make all the food from scratch and it tastes like it. The pork was tender and flavorful. Oh and yummy sopapillas. Waitress was nice. Everything was reasonably priced. We want to try the happy hour next time.

1  Thank Janiemcauburn
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Small, hole in the wall place, with a menu of New Mexico chili, Mac and cheese, pulled pork. Very friendly waitress, inexpensive drinks and the food was a good price and delicious. I had pulled pork and a spinach salad. Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Maureen M
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The New Mexicans is all about the chilis just like ALBQ and Sante Fe...about time. The smoked chicken green chili enchiladas were amazing. Save room for pie if they have any left...it's outrageous. Now our favorite Mexican in Seattle area.

Been to The New Mexicans? Share your experiences!