“Giant Pancakes”

Cuisines: American
Montesano, Washington
“Giant Pancakes”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stopped by for breakfast. I ordered 2 pancakes and 2 eggs, while my husband ordered 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, and bacon. The pancakes were huge, more like the size of a plate. I could barely finish one, forget about eating the second one. The waitress was attentive. The meal came quickly. Payment is at the cash register..

• Visited December 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Decent diner”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stopped here for lunch on the way from Seattle area to the Oregon Coast. It was a perfectly good diner. I had a generous soup and salad lunch, my husband had the veggie omelette. Reasonable road food, and probably the best choice in the area. I'm recommending but not as a gourmet experience. The wait staff were very friendly and competent, and the restaurant was nicely decorated. Decent bathroom. Good area for parking and giving our dog a quick walk.

• Visited December 2013
Tacoma, Washington
“Lousy Service”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were there Sunday Morning. (Our 46th. Anniversary) There were several parties waiting, so we decided to sit at the counter. The waitress took our order. Others came in sat down, placed their orders & had eaten their food & we were still waiting. No excuses or reason why no food. Didn't know & didn't care They couldn't explain it. Usually stop there four or five times a year on our way to Westport Winery. (Great place to buy wine) Sorry to say we will; never go there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Clive E
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“Huge Pancakes”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The server said the pancakes were huge and she wasn't kidding.The were big and very good. Great atmosphere and friendly service. Very unique restaurant in a nice place.
Great value and service. We highly recommend.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rick G
Lacey, Washington
“Don't lose hope...there are other options!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hearing a few good things about the Rusty Tractor, we decided to meet my parents there one Sunday afternoon after church (since it was about halfway between them and us). We were running a bit behind, so my dad sent a text saying they had arrived and were waiting for a table. We were about 20 minutes out.

As we neared Elma, WA, I got another text from Dad saying they were still in line. It had been 15 minutes. I assumed it must be the after-church crowd, although it was close to 1 pm by then. With my parents and my family, our group was four adults, one five-year-old and an infant...almost six total.

When we arrived, I was surprised to find the parking lot only half full. We met my parents who were waiting outside and proceeded into the dirty alcove they called a foyer. There was just enough room for the five of us plus the baby carrier as we had to huddle behind the "Please Wait To Be Seated" sign. Though there were open tables, waitresses breezed by us repeatedly without saying a word. After about six minutes of standing in the cramped foyer, a foursome came in behind us and was seated within minutes.

Eventually, one of the waitresses approached our party and explained that their only two six-seat tables were occupied and that we'd have to wait another half hour or so before one of them vacated. She gestured to the party of six being served their breakfast just four feet from where we stood. I asked the hostess if she expected us to stand there watching these folks eat their breakfast for half an hour. She rudely told us that was our only option. Being that the Rusty Tractor was the only restaurant around for miles, she may have thought she had us over a barrel.

I asked her if she could push two of the open four-person tables together and she replied that it wouldn't be safe. I asked her in disbelief what she meant by "wouldn't be safe," but she didn't have an answer. At that point - having already waited as long as we had - I told her were were unwilling to hover over the good folks eating their breakfast, thanked her and ushered my family out the narrow door as the hostess began seating the party of three who had just come in. That's when we noticed the sharp, three-inch nails sticking out of the wall at just about my five-year-old's height.

The nails had previously held the "foot" onto a wall-mounted menu board that was shaped like a person holding a sign, but the run-down placard had lost its foot long ago and what was left was nothing short of a disaster waiting to happen. I pointed it out to my parents on our way out, and my mom said she had mentioned it to them the last time they ate there (which was at least several months prior). Due to the narrow entrance, it would have only taken one slight jostle at the right time for my son to end up losing an eyeball, an ear or becoming horribly disfigured.

Fed up with the wait we endured, the shoddy environment and the snide waitress/hostess, we spent a few minutes in the parking lot searching our phones for another nearby restaurant. We found the Rain Country Restaurant in nearby McCleary, WA, and it turned out to be a FABULOUS alternative! My advice...drive the extra five miles and give your money to people who actually earn and deserve it. Let the Rusty Tractor die an unnoticed death.

• Visited August 2013