“Fun for lunch, but slow”

The Yellow Church Cafe
Ranked #1 of 109 Restaurants in Ellensburg
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are privileged to have some of the best farmers on the eastside of Washington State, including some of the best wines and microbrews. To insure quality and freshness we work with local seasonal ingredients, we focus on baking all our bread daily, cutting our own meats and using only the freshest ingredients.
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is a really neat place and was easy to get to from the interstate. Very cool decor in an old church. The food was fine and the menu interesting. Service was a bit slow for lunch on the day we went.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

I've driven through Ellensburg dozens of times and rarely get past the nearest gas station and Burger King. Sadly, it's taken me this long to discover the Yellow Church Café.

It is easy to find, just 3-4 minutes from I90 and in a quiet, residential neighborhood, the Yellow Church is a wonderfully converted Lutheran (?) church from the 1950s in to a respectable restaurant that focuses on local, sustainable ingredients.

My Culotte steak was superb and my wife's "Holy Moly" chicken sandwich was worth the trip to EBurg by itself.

The owner, Gordy, is outgoing, friendly and has a quick laugh. He obviously cares about his restaurant and his guests.

Do yourself a favour - skip the burgers and whatnot at the Interstate and go to the Yellow Church.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Yellow Church was truly pleasant surprise. I had not stopped in Ellensburg for a meal in years [for good reasons, I thought], but we found this place in time for dinner on a chilly late April evening. It was warm and cozy inside, with a very responsive staff, incredibly good food (I had ribs, my partner lamb], and an amazing wine list featuring Washington wines. Our server was a student at the local university and possessed a professional style and a great personality. She was helpful in explaining the menu and specials, and her recommendations proved correct. Somehow, she also knew about Yakima and Columbia Valley wines, and steered us to a bottle of red frm the Horse Heaven Hills [south central Washington] that was just excellent. The chef stopped by the table to see how we liked the meal, told us about their sources for their meat, related the history of the winery, and even agreed to sell us four of their wine glasses which we have sent as a gift to old friends who lived in Ellensburg long ago. We spent a lovely evening here and I now need to find another excuse to drive to Eastern Washington, thus allowing me the opportunity to return for another memorable meal.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Came for lunch based on good reviews. Only breakfasty items before 1:30 on weekends, but we had to wait 10+ minutes before they seated us even tho there were empty tables when we walked in. So we wasted a lot of time before we found out that they weren't serving what we wanted.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is a cute little restaurant with a decent breakfast menu. I had the Santa Fe egg dish which was very good, although the tortillas were a bit too tough. The red potatoes are very tasty.

Warning, The cinnamon rolls are HUGE and delicious (ask them to warm them up a bit in the microwave).

Waitress was friendly and fast. Our only complaint was that the tables for two are tiny and there's not a lot of room for the plates.