“Excellent service; one good entree, one not so much”
Review of Valley Cafe

Valley Cafe
Ranked #18 of 109 Restaurants in Ellensburg
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Valley Cafe is known as one of the best restaurants in Ellensburg! This business has been continuously operated since 1930 and still retains the original Art Deco decor from its 1938 remodel. This is a farm to fork restaurant using local ingredients for a more flavorful experience. The business also features a separate juice/coffee bar that serves sandwiches, soups and salads which is adjacent to the restaurant and located within the same building.
Portland, OR
“Excellent service; one good entree, one not so much”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I visited on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was fairly busy, and we were seated in one of the remaining booths. The decor looks to be authentic 30s, including the original linoleum floor, which is in great shape.

They had a fairly good wine list, and we were served promptly. My husband had the grilled chicken breast, which was roasted to perfection. I ordered the spaghetti carbonara; a total disappointment. The spaghetti was ordinary packaged noodles, the sauce so thin and soupy, it did not cling to them and pretty bland. On the positive side, the peas were fresh and the bacon tasty.

• Visited January 2013

Seattle
“Great staff, nice decor”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Dropped by for a quick snack and beer. Ordered a Cesar salad and the food came out quickly. The suggested Iron Horse Cozy Sweater was very yummy. Friendly staff and classy decor. Will drop by again.

“With a bit of effort it could be good.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My most recent visit to the Valley Cafe was at least the third in as many years. Not much has changed. It is a nicely appointed version of a cafe from the early 20th century, likely authentic, with a great counter that could seat at least 20. On this visit for lunch on a Sunday at 11:45 the place was totally empty. My daughter, my two grandaughters and I were seated at a table by the window. We were presented a creative menu that was only lacking in selections that would appeal to children. My grandaughters split a pasta dish, my daughter had a Ceasar salad and a cup of soup and I had a Reubin sandwich that was toasted rather then grilled. The weak point at the Valley Cafe is that in my visits there, the kitchen is always very slow. On this occasion with a moderate order and no other patrons the time from order to service was a good 25 minutes. While the food is OK, the time for the food to arrive is not. In the future, we will go to the Yellow Church or seek other restaurants.

• Visited December 2012
Hamburg, Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“blink and you'll miss it but you'll be sorry you did”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

this is a beautifully decorated bistro slash diner with friendly attentive knowledgeable service and fine menu selections for both lunch and dinner. Fantastic choice of newer locally produced wines as well as more established tipples.

• Visited October 2012
Seattle, Washington
“We really enjoyed this meal and the people who served us and loved the historical decor!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Lovely, homey historical restaurant. We were greeted immediately and seated quickly. Our waitress was a student at Central Washington University and was extremely professional and friendly. We shared an appetizer, salad and pasta dish. All were excellent and they graciously plated our portions separately. We selected the featured wine and it was fabulous! We weren't in a hurry and had a leisurely time with courses well spaced to allow time for chat. The food was excellent - especially the beet salad!

We'll be back!