“Wall tents are very disappointing”

and 1 more site!
Lodge at Canyon River Ranch
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Wall tents are very disappointing”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently reserved the wall tents at this facility and could not be more disappointed with the condition they are in especially when they charge $100 per night! I realize I was renting a tent and was not expecting a mint on my pillow...however, I did and should expect a clean and maintained unit.
The tent we were in had a zipper that would not close because it was ripped 1/2 way down. There are rips that you can put your hand thru at two corners and an opening at the top of the wall big enough for a bird to fly in. The floor was also uneven and had a loose board that was at least an inch high at the seam that was very easy to trip over. The fire pits had empty beer bottles in them, cigarette butts were around the site and the trash container wasn't emptied out from the previous guests.

They obviously put all their energy into the lodge but if they are renting and advertising camping facilities, that too should be looked after for guests that prefer to sleep outside rather than at the lodge...after all we are still paying guests!

I am in the service business and would not expect repeat customers if I gave them the service that I just experienced.
I would recommend grabbing a camp site at any of the other camp sites in the canyon before you stay here. I know I will not return and my experience would also keep me from ever staying at the lodge as well.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank Alan F

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Last month, I got married at Canyon River Ranch. The way they work that is you have to rent out the entire facility for 48 hours at a price of $11,000 ($6000 for the 10 suites for 2 nights, and $5000 for the facility). In our case, we were supposed to have the place completely reserved from 1pm Friday through 1pm Sunday, as specified in the signed, written contract.

When we arrived on Friday and finished unloading our vehicles, it was close to 2pm. It was about 90 degrees and it would have been nice to hang out at the pool and relax for a little while (since we paid $5k to have the whole place to ourselves), but there wasn't a single pool chair available. I guess the lodge is so hard up for money now that they've started selling "lodge memberships" for $150/month plus a hefty initiation fee, so the pool was full of people we didn't know who hadn't been informed that the lodge was reserved for a private event. My fiance approached the lodge manager at least 3 or 4 times over the course of several hours before he finally rolled his eyes and begrudgingly agreed to clear the pool. Granted, those people did nothing wrong by being there, but that wasn't my problem. Communication fail for the manager.

Two of the suites, including mine, had problems with the door hardware sticking and failing to latch. This meant if you didn't remember to either check the latch or deadbolt the door, it would swing open in the slightest breeze. In the other suite, they had the safety chain secured, but hadn't deadbolted the door and also hadn't noticed the latch problem, and a gust of wind caught the door and pulled the door trim off the wall. Two people saw it happen and I know for a fact that it wasn't a story to cover up some sort of drunken shenanigans. The safety chain had only been screwed into the trim, not the door frame. Construction fail. We informed both the manager and one of the owners about this incident the next morning and were told not to worry and they would take care of it. More on that later...

So Sunday rolls around and we're supposed to be checked out of the rooms by noon, but we still have the facility until 1pm and we had already cleaned up the grounds, so a few of us decide to hang out at the pool for a while until it's time to leave. What seemed odd was that other people started showing up at the lodge well before that time. It turns out they had another event scheduled that actually overlapped with ours. One of their "Tight Lines and Fine Wines" events was taking place Sunday-Monday. Here's a schedule for that event taken from their website:

Day 1:
11 AM: Arrive at CRR Lodge
12 PM: Lunch at CRR
1 - 4 PM: Introduction to Fly Fishing and Fly Casting Lessons
5:00 PM: - Wine tasting and appetizers
6:30 PM: - Fabulous Wine Dinner (bring several of your favorite bottles of wine!)

Day 2:
8 AM: Breakfast Served at CRR
9 AM - 3 PM: Guided Drift Boat Fishing on the Yakima River

So we're paying thousands of dollars for reserved use of the common areas of the lodge and they're double-booking events!

Anyway, we didn't make a big deal about any of that stuff and instead spent the next 2 weeks on our honeymoon in the Caribbean. About a week into it, the manager sends an email to my wife that outlines the final invoice summary. The tone of the email was completely condescending, mentioning how "We were delayed by 3 hours in turning the Suites and Lodge over to the next event" and "some your guests did not see the value in this amazing facility". How he thought he could turn over the facility to the next event on time when he had them overlapping by 2 hours, I have no idea. In addition, without providing any specific details, he levied $720 in additional charges for cleaning and damages. Some of those were legitimate, as a few wine glasses were broken and someone smoked in one of the suites, but others were not. He charged us $100 for the door trim mentioned above, as well as $25 for a supposed broken outlet cover in the Bride & Groom suite (that we definitely didn't break). I could buy 50 outlet covers at the hardware store for $25, and that trim could have been put back up with 4 or 5 nails. There was also 3 hours of excess cleaning at $50/hour. I know what cleaners are paid and it's nowhere near $50/hour.

When we got back home, my wife emailed the manager asking for details on what exactly the cleaning entailed and why we were charged for the door trim that we had already explained was due to faulty construction rather than any fault of our guests.

Two weeks go by...

Still no response from the manager, so I email one of the owners and explain that after spending around $12k at his facility, I'd expect to at least be provided the courtesy of a response. The next day, the manager emails us back and copies all the owners with another condescending email where he didn't answer any of our questions and just said that the charges were "not only justifiable but fair."

Since he still hadn't answered any of our questions about the specifics, I sent him a very professional response and highlighted the original questions that he still needed to answer. I also pointed out that he had breached our contract by failing to provide the facility for the full 48 hours we had it reserved and that I expected to be reimbursed at a prorated hourly amount. Another week went by with no response, so I contacted the owner again. That was last Thursday and now I'm getting the cold shoulder from both of them.

It's really disappointing because I used to really like that place and wish this could have been settled professionally.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank Alpinetrout
Kent, WA
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Very disappointed with recent dealings with this hotel. Spent two weeks talking with two very helpful reservationists making arrangements to book a block of rooms & the kitchen for Thanksgiving. Reservationists re-assured me multiple times that the rooms were available, however, when I went to book, I received an email from the General Manager stating that MULTIPLE owners had requested ALL rooms & the kitchen for not only Thanksgiving day, but the day before & the day after. Hmmmm - something doesn't sound right here. Appears to be a big break down in communication between the reservationists who are committing rooms to people & the General Manager.

Very disappointed to receive this news after getting entire family all excited & committed to Thanksgiving at the lodge. Now, I have to tell them it's all off!! I look like an idiot! When I expressed my disappointment & dis-satisfaction to the General Manager, I received nothing in response. He could care less. Beware! I recommend booking your rooms & waiting for your confirmation before coordinating with any other friends or family. If it turns out they can't go - you can always cancel later. Seems like a much safer approach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Mauifamily
Atlanta
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were impressed by all the positive reviews about CRR on the Yakima River. We just spent several days there. We understand and respect guest management, and wilderness development and accommodations, but we do NOT recommend this place. Of course, there are very few "lodge" options in this region, but our *personal experience* was negative, and we’re not going back.

Yes the building is impressive lodge beam construction, and the overall condo was comfortable. But here are the facts. First, the gas grill was filthy beyond disgusting, and no gas in the tank. [We finally located a different grill unit (also filthy beyond science fiction), and used that tank.] Food, grease, and scum was encrusted all over the grill, the burners, and thick layers of grease was plastered inside the hood, across the controls, and beneath into the cabinets below. The burners were so clogged with epoxified grease and food, only part of the burners would light fire. Second, the TV/DVD equipment was a disaster; the right channel speaker was broken; the satellite receiver would not receive, and the DVD player had no audio out to the speakers. We wasted an hour trying to get this mess to function. Third, the toilets backed up, and with no service on site, we did our own "plumbing" services. Fourth, the dishwasher did not rinse cycle; instead we hand rinsed the soap from the dishes (no problem). Fifth, the coffee maker is a joke; small 3 cup cheap junk machine. Sixth, the construction is lame; we could easily hear neighbors next door –and above us- tromping around, and making noise. Seventh, you cannot find any living soul on premise after 5pm. The only staff is there from 9-5, and they left no service phone or contact info for after 5pm to offer minimal guest service. There is NO one there. Hey, it’s just like Camping!!

When we finally did reach someone - she was rude, defensive, and told us that she "does not do customer service". (doh!) Lastly, it's total BS that CRR shoved their lodge development smack up to the river edge, creating a massive ugly infected eyesore in the gorgeous beauty of the Yakima River Canyon. Had we known the developer had made such arrogant choices to build smack into the canyon area – we would never pay or support any such accommodation. Smart development is easy, but this place is obnoxious and pretentious. This Lodge and Red’s Fly shop are just another tired faux “destination lodge” with obvious failings and poor service, catering to mindless urban snobs who need over-rated Cabernet and invasive presence to preen their Land-Rover sensibilities to be "in the wilderness". Barf. We will not return. Please seek out other options, and support those many great lodges who support smart development in wilderness regions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank haydixie
Calgary
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This might be a nice place when all the facilities are open and the kinks are worked out. Yes the rooms are nice. But - the email that would have told us that their full service cafe will open next October and in the interim their restaurant (which has not yet received a liquor license) is only open for lunch and dinner on Thursday to Sunday) was sent to a misspelled email address - so we could not plan to bring food. There is no market or other restaurant anywhere closer than twenty minutes drive away. We will have to checkout early just to get breakfast. We also recommended that they get more than four lounge chairs and two umbrellas for the pool. Guests had "reserved" all the chairs and yet there were only two people in the pool. And when it is hot - many people do not want to sit in full sun. I spent most of my visit in the room as a result. Also note that they shut and lock the lobby and all the public interior lounge space at five! Might be a good idea to find out how to check in if you plan to arrive later.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Mukeroo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Canyon River Ranch is an amazing get away only 1 hour 45 minutes from Seattle. Great rooms, very comfortable beds, and all of the amenities to make an amazing trip-river, pool, hot tub, main loge and idylic location.

Top notch guide service and fly shop onsite. Incredible trout fishing on Yakima River out the door and many other rivers nearby. Sporting Clays, wild bird hunting, and released pheasant available through fly shop.

We have stayed many times and have used all of the amenities.....5 star.

Room Tip: Book a fly fishing trip with Reds Fly Shop.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mark K
Seattle
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I am not a fly fisher but after staying here I am tempted to return for lessons! I hear they will be offering wine tasting/fly fishing events soon - sounds like a great combination to me - with yoga and spa weekends to follow. The lodge is stunning, located right on the river. And you get to enjoy those brilliant blue skies and crisp clear mornings, while pretending to be "roughing it" in a 5 star room that is bigger than a lot of NYC apartments...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KMB33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellensburg
Hampton Inn Ellensburg
Oxford Suites Yakima
Oxford Suites Yakima
#1 of 24 in Yakima
Hilton Garden Inn Yakima

Been to Lodge at Canyon River Ranch? Share your experiences!