“Great dinners”

Cuisines: Soups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have never been disappointed with dinner at the Dakota. The menu is fairly short, but the food is excellent and inventively prepared. The chicken saltimbanco is terrific, the pulled pork on polenta is great (ask for extra chipotle sauce), and the spicy pasta is warm enough for my palate but not too hot for the faint-hearted. Breakfast and lunch menus are okay, and they're not open on Sundays.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is a cute little place in the older downtown area of Ellensburg, near boutiques and bars. The atmosphere is very casual - you order at the bar of the plastic menus, get your own drinks and utensils and sit where you wish. The food is then delivered to your table.

We were in for lunch and it was simple...Tturkey sandwich, Soup and Green Salad and Vegetarian sandwich. We all had fountain pops. The turkey sandwich was excellent, fresh, abundant turkey and served on a (wonderfully) soft ciabatta roll with several pickles served on the side. The salad was fresh and plentiful. The soup of the day, "Tomato Basil" tasted as if they'd puree'd canned tomatoes and forgotten the basil or any other seasonings. I wouldn't order it again. The vegetarian sandwich, as the turkey, was abundant and served on the same soft ciabatta roll. Sandwich's were served with bags of plain potato chips.

Our order taker and server was pleasant and helpful, nothing out of the ordinary way. There were three other tables being served, so it was not busy and we had an enjoyable, quiet lunch.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Even though this restaurant has been around for 10 or 12 years, I had not known about it until a friend mentioned it to me, as the restaurant is not on the main streets of Ellensburg. After a fly fishing outing, a fishing friend and I decided to give it a try for dinner. The restaurant is located in the old section of Ellensburg with angle parking right in front (could be hard to find parking on a Friday or Saturday evening, but on a Thursday evening there was plenty of parking). The interior decor matches Ellensburg quite well, with very nice photos of cowboys, horses and country scenery on the walls. Linen napkins gave me a good hint that this was not your fast food place, even before looking at the menu. The impressive menu was quite interesting and varied in both selection and price. I had the Pulled Pork entree ("Marinated pork slowly cooked until tender. Served over Polenta and topped with a spicy chipolte cream sauce. Served with roasted yams and vegetables." $15.25). The pork was tender and juicy, but I found the sauce to be spicier than I expected, but if you like spicy, then you'll probably like this sauce. Yams weren't available, so sweet potato fries were substituted and were good. The vegetable was sauteed kale with onions and this side could have used more seasoning. I also had a small Caesar salad which was good ($4.35). The bread served with the meal was fresh, warm and tasty. Our server brought out the dessert tray at the end of our meal and I ordered the Caramel Flan to go for my wife, who said it was good, but probably better when served warm. Our server was very friendly and helpful and clearly aimed to please. Only 3 or 4 tables were filled on this Thursday evening, so it was easy to carry on a conversation with my fly fishing friend who is hard of hearing. The restroom appears to be recently remodeled and was very clean and nice. I like it that the trash cans in the restroom had foot pedals to operate the lid; wish more restaurants did this. I enjoyed my first visit to the Dakota Cafe and look forward to visiting again to try other things on the menu. I know my wife would enjoy this restaurant so I hope to take her there sometime.

1  Thank RexTak
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Dakota café has a great croissant breakfast sandwich. Also, the dinner menu is fantastic.
Staff is always friendly and the décor is definitely western. I eat there quite often.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely surprise to find such a very classy menu right here in downtown Ellensburg! Superb, well-cooked food, served beautifully in an enjoyable atmosphere made for a lovely evening. Not your average evening out! A big plus, I was able to get anything I wanted gluten-free!