“IF YOU LIKE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE- COME HERE!!!”

Sunbanks Lake Resort
Yakima, Washington
“IF YOU LIKE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE- COME HERE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Showed up for family camping over 4th of July weekend. Stayed in a cabin- air conditioner is broke, were told by management to either live with it or go elsewhere, not we will take care of it for you. Sandy, the manager is extremely rude, as well as her asst. manager. Would not stay here again if my life depended on it. The area is beautiful, too bad the people are not.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Robert295

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Burbank, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I booked an RV campsite (electric and water) for 5 days during the 4th of July 2012. When we drove up to the entry, there were 3-4 cars, 6 RVs and a bunch of people standing around-waiting. I walked up to the man holding a clipboard and asked him process of checking in. He told me that camping check in started at 3:00 PM and cabins at 4:00 PM (the time was 2:40 PM). He told us to pull over to the side of the road-where ever we could find room...and wait. We did for 20 minutes at which time he checked us in-along with all the other RVs, gave us a cartoon-style map that was difficult to read and said "have fun". The sites are not where you can see them from your vehicle-had to get out and walk to find it-no one else could find the site they booked -it was a free-for-all. Finally got settled into our spot which was next to group tent area (6 tent sites w/limit of 6 people per site). On Friday, a large group (approximately 30) young adults (college-aged) drove in and, not surprisingly, couldn't find the group tent area (rocks the size of a baseball set flush in the ground are where the site numbers are located-cute, but very ineffectual). There are only 3 RV sites close to the group tent area - including ours - all 3 were occupied by adults approximately around the age of 50 yrs. The young adults went to all 3 RV sites and very politely asked if any of us would mind if they played music, asked if it was okay to play it a bit loud and also asked if any of us were against some adult language that some of the songs used and they would make sure to skip those songs. They also asked what time we would prefer they turned the music off for the night. The music was off and everyone was quiet by 11:00 PM as agreed. Every single person in that large group was respectful, friendly and thoughtful of others not in their group and kept their part of the agreement to the letter. The next morning (Saturday) the local police showed up around 9AM and told the group they all had to leave-management had called the police to "kick the group out". The police were very nice to the group, but were told they had to pack up right then and there. Management refused to refund any money-the group had paid for Friday, Saturday and leaving Sunday (check-out time is noon). All RV sites saw what was happening and all 3 separately went up to the police officers to offer support on behalf to the group-no one asked any of us if the group was bothering us - we all agreed they had not bothered any of us in the least. We all felt cheated by the cavalier way these young people were treated, and, quite honestly, felt management rented the group tent area to these young people with the intention of kicking them out and not refunding any money-setting them up for failure. None of those young people were rude, drunk, disorderly or improper in their conduct. We found out that the group had all gone to high school together and had been planning this informal reunion for months. Most had not seen one another for a year or more. It was very sad to see that a place specifically built for people on vacation were so dead-set on kicking out a group of college kids who actually weren't hindering anyone else having a good time - in fact - they made sure to invite all us "old" people to join in. Sun Banks Lake Resort will never see money out of my pocket again. I will never stay again and you can bet I will never recommend this place to anyone. If you are planning a stay and have college aged children, find another place less prejudiced. As for the group of young adults that were kicked out - you all ROCK!

Room Tip: If you want to book a cabin don't go in the heat of the summer. My friends booked a cabin in Jul...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Marci B

Travelers are raving about these Electric City hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

If you're looking for a nice place to do some family camping, this is not the place. The website and brochure are so misleading that our group was laughing riotously at the terrible condition of this 'resort'. We were reminded of the scene from National Lampoons Vacation when the Griswold family arrived at their hotel to find the pool dried up and tumble weeds rolling by. We stayed and made the best of it, but will most definitely not return. For $50/night you will get less (much less) then you would expect from a state park.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Gourmoms
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

After a month of traveling, we wanted a place to "stay." We spent five days in one of Sunbank's "Water's Edge" cabins. It was a great cabin, with not much view, but a really nice feeling. The area is beautiful. The people were friendly. The cabin, "outhouse," showers and flushing bathroom (up the hill) were always clean. We had a great time.

Room Tip: It's mostly a fishing camp. Don't expect the Plaza.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank susanf79
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Out of over 150 tent and RV sites, there are probably 25 (at best) that are completely level. Almost all tent sites are on some sort of slope. Putting a tent up and sleeping on a slope is not what I am looking for when I am camping. They call this place a resort. HA, its a joke. Resorts have a good restaurant, friendly staff, NICE bathrooms and beautifully landscaped grounds.

I have stayed out at Sunbanks twice. The only reason I went back a second time was because we got a "villa". Well, these so called villas are below average, not even close to worth the price you have to pay. Basically a 5 bedroom house. I think it was $499.00 a night. Cobwebs everywhere, filthy BBQ, over flowing garbage outside when we arrived, very small tv and disgusting carpets. Overall cleanliness was terrible. It was not just our villa, neighbors were the same way.

Back to the camping, well, the sites are unmarked, SMALL, old beat up picnic table and a MAX of 6 per site. Even if number 7 is an infant. Trash everywhere and no room for two tents like the reservation girls tell you. There is one bathroom for men and one bathroom for women. Each have 5 showers. Mens has 2 toilets, a urinal (that overflows at times) and 3 sinks. The womens has 5 showers, 3 toilets and 3 sinks. These bathrooms are FILTHY and not remotely close to big enough to support a campground that for some reason (my guess is the lake since the "resort" is a joke) was pretty full. The upkeep and maintenance alone throughout the parks buildings and grounds is a joke. If you don't want to use the filthy bathrooms, that never have toilet paper or soap, you can use one of their "outhouses". Basically a toilet sitting on top of a concrete tank that is filled with human waste. I suggest using a gas mask to walk in them. They STINK and are NOT clean. This is not an over exaggeration by any means. Just a fair warning to all to go somewhere else!!

This is pretty much a party park. The grounds aren't maintained very well. Maintenance is slow if you need something or things just don't get done. The manager Sandy is EXTREMELY rude to customers and I also watched her being very rude to a few staff members while customers were near. I am not sure what they did but it could have been handled in private. If you are not SILENT by quiet time, you will probably be kicked out the next day. This didn't happen to us but we did see it happen to a few others while staying there when we actually camped and didn't stay in a "villa". We didn't even complain because it realistically was not that bad, the one group closest to us was partying but it was tolerable by our group. Security would not leave them alone though. So if you do decide to stay there, be silent by midnight or get kicked out with no refund and a rude manager banging on your tent or vehicle with a clipboard to get up and leave in two hours or be arrested for tresspassing. Thats a bit extreme if you ask me.

Overall considering what I've said and walking the park that was filthy, full of weeds, dust, terrible roads, no parking, very small and unmarked tent sites, hardly any level sites to put a tent, HIGH prices for EVERYTHING, not good food in restaurant, a manager that surprisingly still has a job (especially surprising considering how the place looks and seems to be run) and the false advertising of it being a resort. This is not a place I would even recommend to an enemy. It is terrible. I think the only good thing about it is that you have to drive by Steamboat Rock State Park to get there, so you actually know of another place to go stay instead of Sunbanks.

This place is a joke. I will not return nor will any of my friends or family. They are also letting other people know not to go. I am not sure how anyone could write a good review of this place. FAIR WARNING TO ALL THAT LOOK INTO PLACES BEFORE THEY GO, STAY AWAY FROM SUNBANKS RESORT.

Room Tip: Go somewhere other thank Sunbanks "Resort".
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank JMiller44
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Had a LRHS class reunion wknd planned, Manager Sandy was terrible! Walls had mold and lagos were musty. Lagos were filthy and dont you dare ask for extra towels because you can't have any! Friends toilet was plugged and they handed my friend the plunger?? Thought the guests were on vacation!

Room Tip: always check tripadvisor before booking!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brenda H
Olympia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

My friends and I wanted an enjoyable place to go camping for memorial day weekend before my boyfriend deployed for his third time. We got there initially at 1230am after telling the receptionist we would not be there until around midnight because we had a five and a half hour drive after getting off of work. They said over the phone since I was paying for friday night, that I could check in from midnight to six am. They were not going to let us in once we got there, even though our tents were already set up by friends who had gotten there early. They told me to sleep in my car. After finally getting down to the site and getting to sleep, we woke up to security and management driving by our site literally EVERY hour and stopping and staring at us. We ignored it and went on with our day. Once night hit, we ate dinner and started to enjoy our evening, noticing they starting to drive by more frequestly. We stayed fairly quiet compared to several other campsites around us. Quiet time was not until midnight. At midnight we got our fire to slow down and went to the campsite next to us to have a quiet chat around their fire. STILL the other camp site was quite loud. We had low music on which you could barely hear and were talking when one of the campers we were visiting sneezed. Instantly camp security came over and yelled at us for being too loud. We, shocked that they were yelling, said how are we being loud, he just sneezed? Without a second look security took off and radio'd management to call the police. The police came out and laughed at the security guards for even bothering to call. We stayed up long enough to talk to them and then talk a little more keeping our voices almost to whispers to not get into trouble. The next morning i walked out of my tent at 8 in the morning and Sandy drove up to me and told me we had two hours to leave. She also kicked out our neighbors and was RUDE. She would not talk to us. She said "people like us" ruin her camp site every year and she was not having it. After calmly trying to talk to her and dealing with her attitude and having a police officer coming out who actually agreed with us-we left our camp site with no refund. Friends who were trying to find our neighbors an hour later, TOLD US THEY HAD RENTED OUT OUR SITE. They had been watching us to see if they could kick us out all day because they had OVER BOOKED. On top of kicking us out, renting out our site, and not giving us a refund, they continued to charge my card and overchaged for parking etc. I had to cancel my card to stop them from continuing. When i called they said they didnt know what i was talking about, they had no knowledge of our site being rented out, and that they would refund any of my overcharged fees that they took from me. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK HERE AGAIN. AWFUL!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Katala B

Been to Sunbanks Lake Resort? Share your experiences!