“Mosquitos, Hornets, Pit Toilets, No shade...now that's a vacation!!!”

Sunbanks Lake Resort
Seattle, WA
“Mosquitos, Hornets, Pit Toilets, No shade...now that's a vacation!!!”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

READ ON AS THIS IS THE REAL STORY...

While Banks lake itself is quite wonderful, a word to the wise...If your not willing to fork over the shillings for a house/condo unit at Sunbanks Resort, or have a camper/RV of your own, just forget about it.

We stayed at the lake front cabins, thinking it would be a nice place to stay. It turned out that we had constant visitors...mosqitos at night and hornets by day. There was no escaping them. They were everywhere. We had mosquito coils, mosquito spray and long sleeve clothing...nothing worked well. It turns out that these are mutant mosquitos...and they have to spray the campground twice a week to get them down to a population level where you aren't breathing them in. While mosquitos can be a part of just about any camping trip, it didn't stop there.

It was also hard to find shade anywhere at the cabin we had...it seemed like the sunlight was actually coming at us sideways. But even though we all got pretty sunburned, nobody complained. We were all too preoccupied dealing with the mosquito bites.

On a sanitary note, there are only two real "toilets" in the "campground" area. Most "campers" are religated to pit toilets. Add in the heat...and the fumes are potent enough to make your nostrils sting. Needless to say I chose not to eat much while I was there...just lots and lots of water.

As a final selling point, the "beds" in the cabins are nothing more than wood with a 1" foam mattress on top (and I'm not exadurating). Bring a blow up mattress for everyone!!!

Have fun...

Room Tip: House/condo only.
1 Thank Robert V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Staff was very helpful; we werent sure where our site was, but they sent someone down and showed us exactly where we could set up. The toilets around the tent sites were outhouses, but it wasnt any different from any other camping facility we've been to. The showers were free, which was nice. I was scared about mosquitos by reading previous reviews but they weren't bad at all. We didnt know that every weekend durring their summers they have Karaoke on Friday nights and a really cool band on Saturday nights, our kids had a lot of fun with that. Mini golf was a little spendy but we got our putters for 24 hours and we were able to play a few times. Resuraunt has great pizzas. The sites were a little spendy but it is a resort and we wouldn't of gotten the luxuries of an onsite store, resturaunt, free showers and espresso stand at any other campground.

2 Thank Chad W
Poulsbo, Washington
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Ok, made reservations for the weekend. Told the gal specifically that we had two adults, one child, two dogs and a boat. The "map" they have on their website is highly misleading. What they should show is elevation for the "campsite" she recommended (after I specifically told her that we had a boat once again) was quote "the largest campsite we have, and probably the best if you have pets" Cool! I said "sign me up". I reiterated that we have a boat and asked specifically if we could park the boat at the campSITE, not campground. She said, "no problem you can park up to two vehicles on the campsite." I asked again, just to be sure, "so we can just park the boat and our truck there at the site and that will be our two vehicles?" Her reply: "yes".

Well we get there are greeted by a few guys who look pretty clueless as to how to check someone in. Really, it takes two guys to hold a clipboard and get my name? Come on. There was a line, why couldn't they check in more that one at a time, they had enough guys working there? While checking in, the guy asked if we had anything we needed in our boat and suggested we get it out because we had to park the boat pretty much near the entrance (nowhere close to our campSITE!). I explained that the gal I reserved the site with told me I could park my boat there, he said very snarkily "well I don't know why, we don't allow that" He said follow me, we'll see what the site looks like.

The guy who told us to "follow him" after we were finally checked in took off in his golf cart all quick so I attempted to keep up with him without dusting people out and bottoming out my boat trailer (yeah, their roads suck that bad). He shows me the site, there are at least three other sites with boats parked at the site. I tell him to just refund my money and I'll go somewhere after he shows me the "biggest and best site they have" according to the obviously poorly trained reservation girl. It was a hill! There was no level section of this site at all! Where in the heck am I supposed to set up a tent without rolling downhill? I explained again what the girl told me about the site. He said, "I don't know why they gave you this site, its the crappiest one we have." Wow, really? I demand my money back, he says they don't do refunds, I say well you are today, this is false advertisement and I want my money back.

He says follow him to the lodge, again taking off. Well, I lost him because we have to try to back the boat up in this [...] of a campground with no room to do so to attempt to turn around. Finally find the lodge with his snarky [...] inside. I explain to the lady, presumably a manager, what happened. I told her what the guy said about the crappiest site, he flat out denied it! Liar! Well, she finally gave me my money back after basically telling me that there was no way the site was misrepresented as she trains her "girls".

Bottom line, I would rather sleep in the mud of the drawn down Banks Lake than spend one dime at this hellhole! Oh and for a resort their boat launch was down because of the drawdown? Wow, pretty crappy you have to send your high paying patrons to the state park because their launch is a hundred times nicer.

What a craphole, don't waste your time or money here!

Cons: Everything
Pros: I FINALLY got my money back after refusing to leave until they refunded me.

4 Thank Kim S

Travelers are raving about these Electric City hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This place is a absolute joke. If you take a look at the map and shrink everything 10X you will ge a real idea on what the sites will be like. Why do they not show any pictures of the camp ? On top of that none of the sites are clearly marked, they have a small number on the ground and they do not have any real markings for boundries. Showed up and there we people all over our camp site. If they needed more room they just took it because they were not any markings. The RV sites are terrible as well when you look at the map you think that there will be lots of room right... No true. The bathrooms / Poratables were portables.. what else can u say. The parking is terrible and everyone just parks where they think is room, so if you have a trailer or boat good luck. The stafff, Well when we showed up the two guys at the entrance ran around for 30 minutes like chickens with their heads cutoff trying to check us in, and once we were in the staff in the lodge was not a whole lot better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mark_Hammer
Washougal, Washington
Reviewed August 26, 2011

They certainly captured the prime pictures for their website. We had full hookups that were overcrowded, all gravel and no shade. The RV next to ours pulled in days ahead and parked crooked into part of our space. What should have been one site was made into three. All tent sites were unorganized. No definate spot that you paid for. If you were last to arrive you had very little space to even put your tent. The mosquitos were thick. They sprayed every other night and you had to bring in everything before and the spraying did not help. The bathrooms (outhouses) were never drained in the week we were there and smelled horribly. Do not win my vote for a return performance.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Judy H
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We arrived an hour before check in and "security" would not allow us even on the property. When we returned at 4pm - there was long line of cars and had 15 minute wait before "security" checked us in. There was sewage smells near the cabins and tent sites. Our cabin was not ready for another almost two hours. There was snake in the lodge which they knew about but only after we asked why video games were not working, did they put up signs alert their guests. Mosquitos were horrible - even after they sprayed. I will never stay here again!

1 Thank Deb1989
Vancouver B.C.
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Went to the Blues Festival in Sept. 09 and parked near the main lodge at the side of the road. One of the housekeeping employees who had her pickup truck loaded with towels backed out of the parking slots on the other side of the road and instead of heading downhill as she should have she backed out the other way and hit my parked car. She told me she didn't have her insurance papers with her at the time but gave me the name of the company & showed her driver's license. After returning home my insurance company eventually found out she had no insurance and even tho she admitted fault I never saw a cent and had to pay the deductible myself. Lucky I had collision ins. to get the car fixed. The general manager had come over after the accident but was no help afterward (wouldn't reply to email). How can they let an employee use her vehicle for work when she had no insurance? Unbelievable!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Jenneffer_11

Been to Sunbanks Lake Resort? Share your experiences!