“Fun & Friendly”
Review of The Hobo Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elbe
The Hobo Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Elbe B&B and Inns
Roy, WA
“Fun & Friendly”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I belong to an offroad club and we heard that this place had a train car where we could hold our yearly Christmas party. What a good idea!! We showed up to the train car all decked out for the holidays, piping hot and delicious pizza was served along with a huge salad. They supplied a Santa Claus for the kids and the service was absolutely stellar. (Abby the waitress there was awesome!) There were a few of us that each reserved a caboose/room to stay the night. I am so glad we did, what a fun experience. The rooms/cabooses were clean and cozy, even flannel sheets on the beds. You also wake up to the sound of the steam train tooting its horn and getting ready for the days travels. It's not the Ritz, but that's what gives this place such a great allure. The rooms include a free breakfast...not your hockey puck biscuits and coagulated gravy, oh no...it was a heaping plate of omelettes, hobo hash, Belgium waffles, whatever the menu offered. It was such a pleasent surprise to be catered to in such a nice, small town fashion. Our club is going to make having our yearly party there a new tradition. Loved it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Whooptink

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Murwillumbah, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were heading towards Seattle. It was getting late, very late. We drove past the Hobo Inn then turned around and went back. What the heck....why not stay..for an interesting and unique experience. We were hungry and their dining car/ restaurant was still open. I did notice a "position vacant" sign for a cook attached to the Inn sign......this should have warned us of what to expect!
We registered for a caboose for the night.The yellow caboose, the luxury one, we think! Because the bathroom included a jet tub bath....I'll elaborate on the accommodation in a moment.

The restaurant: Dinner.....whoaaaa what can I say except that we had the worst meal I've ever experienced. I chose spaghetti and meat sauce because in the back of my mind I had reservations about the capability of whoever was cooking ...I mean, honestly what can go wrong with good ole spaghetti and meat sauce?? It seems A LOT! The spaghetti professed to be home made......I don't think so. The meat sauce resembled a bottled puttanesca sauce with 2 tiny wee dots of some sort of sausage meat added...I was lucky to find them. Basically it was inedible. My husband chose fish and chips....he ate the fish, greasy as it was but even he was unable to eat the fries that seemed to be from a previous era. They were limp and cold. Well then, I thought perhaps a glass of wine would numb the senses. Forget that plan....the choices available were very limited seems most whites had already been drunk....my husband was ok with a beer and I ended up with a flat ?? Coke. The service was friendly, overly encouragingly friendly. After our meal arrived the "cook" appeared and positioned himself back at the bar !

The Caboose accommodation: interesting! really looked like an eclectic decor obtained from numerous thrift / charity stores.Not very tasteful. The bed was rough...no soft topper for comfort.....I wasn't brave enough to look under the bed linen, I just didn't want to know, the heater worked ok...it was a cool night :) The Bathroom: sufficient facilities provided.... toilet, sink and jet tub bath. Soap and shampoo provided together with old greyed towels. The jet tub would benefit from a good clean. It was obviously a very old and well used tub with water level ring very apparent.....probably from its previous life.

I think we got a "good" deal on the pricing because we booked in so late and there probably wouldn't be any other clients arriving that night. $126.00 was the total charge for 2 in the yellow "luxury" caboose and this included taxes and a full breakfast the following morning. Breakfast doesn't begin here until 9am so be aware of this if ur keen to get on the road early.
Breakfast was good. The waitress was helpful , attentive and friendly.

All in all a unique experience in many different ways. We survived and have a bit of a story to tell. Don't go here with grand expectations or u will be very disappointed. I do feel the accommodation is overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank miffles

Travelers are raving about these Elbe hotels

Dallas, Oregon
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I and another couple stayed one night and really enjoyed the uniqueness of the Hobo Inn. The rooms are so adorable. This place is really a gold mine if someone could take the money and time to fix some things.(not that big of a deal but could be nicer) The sewer/water lines are all above ground so you can see them when you are outside your caboose. The air conditioner didn't work in our room (caboose #5) (about 95 degrees that day) and we just couldn't stay in the room. Our friends' air conditioner worked great so we went to their room for a while. (they were in caboose #2) #2 caboose was also more upgraded than #5 and didn't have a funky smell like ours did.

We had dinner in the dinner car which was fantastic. They only had one cut of prime rib left so our friend had that. I had a bite and it was delicious! I had the bleu cheese burger which was also wonderful. Everything at our table was really good and the dinner car really was fixed up very cute! I really enjoyed it there.

Our room had cooled a bit with the evening, (couldn't open the doors because of mosquitos) so it wasn't too bad and we slept well. We got up in the morning and had coffee in our room. Our friends had a coffee pot and coffee but no cups to drink out of.

We were traveling on motorcycles and wanted to get an early start because of the heat and agreed to meet at 8 am. The place doesn't open until 9 unfortunately, so our complementary breakfast went on without us. There was no key drop and we didn't feel very good about it but left the key in the cabooses and the door unlocked and we left.

Overall, I think it is a unique and fun change of pace. If we had an air conditioner, I think I would have definately spent more time in my caboose. I may not stay in this hotel again, but will look for others that have the same type of novelty experience.

Room Tip: Avoid Caboose #5 if you're staying on a hot day. Caboose #2 is better for a hot day.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SassYDawG
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had lunch at the restaurant and stayed at the Hobo Inn for 1 night.

This is the perfect place to feel like you are in 1850. Things are not perfect but the atmosphere is. Those who rate this as poor facility need to read the name. Hobo Inn. It is not the Hilton! For the price and the experience this place rocks!

Food was good, a bit pricey but everything in this area was expensive. At the base of a 14,000 mountain I can't really complain.

Room Tip: Bring your own entertainment...Places close early here and the cell service is non existent!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank srock22
Idaho
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The novelty was fun. The bed felt like a roll away but expected in a caboose. Breakfast was great which was included in the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TammyC
Greenacres, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Loved the room, clean quite and best of all you wake up to the sound of the trains firing up in the morning, its great!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Caryn S
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I ended up at the the Hobo Inn more by accident than anything else: invited to a family get-together at nearby Alder Lake (a beautiful man-made lake and recreation area), I chose the Hobo Inn on a whim. That said, my granddaughters and I enjoyed our stay there immensely--they for the quirkiness of sleeping in real converted train cars, me for the comfort and location. The train cars are all mostly converted to sleeping spaces with bathrooms, but they've left some nice touches--the small observation perches looking out the top of the cars were favorites of my granddaughters. Overall, an enjoyable, memorable experience!!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back side may be a bit quieter, but even the ones fronting the road are not noisy.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank James T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elbe
Alexander's Lodge
#2 of 3 in Ashford
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to The Hobo Inn? Share your experiences!