“Not that great”

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Elbe
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Fourteen-mile excursion on a train using vintage 1900's steam locomotives on a scenic trip through the Pacific Northwest to Mineral Lake, passing within 25 miles of majestic Mt. Rainier.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The staff on the train and in the gift shop were very friendly. We chose to ride in one of the enclosed cars, which was furnished with bench-like seats that some may not find particularly comfortable. I was fine with it. The car was clean, but I didn't get up to explore any of the others or use the bathroom. Since we chose to ride on Labor Day weekend, there were a lot of other passengers and our car was very noisy, which made it hard for me to enjoy the trip, but there's not much anyone can do about that since the train itself was noisy.

My biggest problem with this trip was the lack of scenic views. Unless you come from a concrete jungle where you'd find wall-to-wall trees extremely exciting, you might find this trip as boring as I did. I was over it after about twenty minutes. Every so often the landscape would open up and we'd get a view of a wide creek as we went over a low bridge, and you only get to see Mt. Rainier twice--once on the way out, and once on the way back. The train at least slows to a crawl to give people a chance to take pictures. I would say 90% of the trip was nothing but unremarkable woods and peoples' poorly maintained backyards. I didn't even bother to get out when we reached the lake, which wasn't much to look at.

2  Thank yehl

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The weather was great, scenery was beautiful and all of the staff were very informative, friendly and helpful. Hope to return soon.

5  Thank Reba M
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Diesel fumes were bad at times, depending on the wind direction. Otherwise, the ride was very pleasant. The scenery was lovely.

1  Thank mcnicolb
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very enjoyable-worth the trip! Easy access for everyone and kids would really like it. If the day is nice, try to sit in the outside car for a great view.

1  Thank stlmom23
Reviewed July 19, 2012

A trip in an open railcar, if you desire, to the small, old town of Mineral where they have a lake with many trout and picnic tables. You may layover and picnic if you desire and return to Elbe on the next run.

6  Thank DonMilton