“Edmonds-style Italian”

Cross street: Walnut Street
Bellevue, Washington
“Edmonds-style Italian”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Cute building, interior. We arrived early and were placed at a 2-top in a corner which faced a corner. We explained to the waiter that we had a travelzoo voucher which he was familiar with. I brought a good bottle of wine for the $15 corkage. My wife had a glass of wine as part of the deal but the owner wouldn't allow my beer to be my "wine" even though the beer cost less than a wine. I ordered a caesar salad to split ($1) which was excellent and the waiter brough requested anchovies.. My wife had the seabass that was tasteless but nicely presented. Bread was put out but we had to mix our own dip from bottles on the table. I ordered the mushroom rissoto which was tasty and nicely presented but I would recommend to the kitchen to add the scallops at the last minute. The mussels deserved that late addition too. With one exception, we had to pour our own wine. We ordered terimasu (sp) which oddly enough was covered in chocolate - perhaps to add flavor to the dessert. The waiter offered a nice glass of port to make up for my glass of wine in the package. The hostess was cordial and efficient. My wife really appreciated the homey atmosphere of the busy room. It was a long drive to use this voucher that was set to expire but we had a pleasant night. Better Italian food can be had at Carmine's downtown and elsewhere but if we were in the area again, we might try lunch. The pasta is fairly priced.

houston, tx
“We used travelzoo coupons”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We bought the travelzoo vouchers at $35 for dinner for 2. When we purchased the vouchers, it advertised that the dinner would include 2 entrees, 2 glasses of wine, and one dessert to share. The entrees includes lamb chops, rib eye steak, and fish. all sounded good to me. So I purchased one set. When I printed the vouchers last night, in the voucher it printed that it will be good for 2 entrees up to $24.50 each and wine and desserts.
Tonight when I arrived the restaurant, I realized there were no lamb chops nor rib eye steak in the menu. so i ordered fillet mignon, which is $28.50. The waitress told me that I will have to pay $4 extra for the diffence. I wanted the steak to be medium cooked. When the fillet mignon arrived, it looks like it was cooked in the microwave and then sheared on the grill to give some burnt marks. Apart from being over cooked, it tasted funny. I asked for some hot sauce wishing to finish the fillet. But it was just dry and tasted awful. At last I had to ask the waitress to change to something else. I had the ling cod instead, it was a small piece of cod on a pile of linguine, but tasted much better.
The restaurant was cosy and quite comfortable with good service. I would give 3 stars because of the good service . But I am sorry to say that the food was below average. Or maybe steak is not their forte. I should have ordered some pasta instead. What I don't understand is why they advertised there is lamb chop when there's none !

Lynnwood
“Great Dinner”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Delicious food and plenty of it. Often my husband and I share a salad and an entrée. Service is attentive but not suffocating. A really friendly feeling, and it's right in Edmonds.

Visited January 2013
Bremerton, WA
“Food Was Great! (Again), Service Was Slow.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant in May 2012 based on happy hour appetizers. This time my wife and I once again walked on the Kingston/Edmonds ferry, then walked up to the restaurant for dinner. Last fall I purchased a Travelzoo voucher...$35.00 for $75.00 worth of food and drink. Voucher was good for two entrees, two glasses of wine and a dessert to share. We ended up paying out of pocket for two pre-dinner drinks and one appetizer to share.

We arrived early for our 6:00 reservation (at 5:30), so thought we'd be able to get appetizers from the happy hour menu. WRONG!! Our server told us that we were not seated in the correct table section for happy hour and offered to see if she could move us, but couldn't promise anything. Because we arrived early (one tends to arrive when the ferry gets you there), we were told that our designated table was still occupied, so they sat us at a different table. Consequently I just let the happy hour thing go, as I thought two moves wasn't reasonable.

Our drinks were very tasty...mine a cucumber and basil martini with great flavor, though weak (compared to mine) and my wife had a top shelf Margarita with Hornitos, Cointreau and Grand Marnier (big, but with lots of ice). $9.00 and $9.50 respectively. We split an appetizer of very tasty, tender Calamari Fries served in the now popular paper cone. It was very slow in arriving. Then we ordered our entrees and our two "free" glasses of wine...WA state Sangiovese for me and Prosecco for my wife. The Sangio was just as our server described...soft, fruity and delicious. The Prosecco was warm and losing it's bubble. In retrospect we should have sent it back. Beware ordering bubblies by the glass! They often lose their bubble quickly due to being opened and poured so frequently...and their temperature rises quickly. Unfortunately there was little else of interest in white wines by the glass. Girardi's needs to remedy that IMHO.

For dinner, my wife had the Ravioli Aragosta (lobster ravioli tossed in a light cream sauce with fresh diced tomatoes, green onions and garlic) and I had the Pollo Farcito (Chicken breast stuffed with cranberry, sage and cheeses topped with a black truffle cream sauce and served with grilled asparagus, zucchini and yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower and seriously bland polenta). My wife would have liked a green veggie (even a few spears of asparagus) with her very rich, lobster-filled pasta. And the only downside to my huge order of delicious stuffed chicken breast and veggies was the polenta. It was completely flavorless. Maybe I'm just used to my own...often cooked with grated cheese and thyme or oregano. We had ordered the happy hour sized small plates of both of these dishes the last time we were here, so we expected we would not be disappointed. We finished up by sharing a piece of Girardi's incredible homemade Tiramisu...great coffee flavor and so moist and delicious.

The worst part of this evening was the service...slow, slow...and did I mention?...slow. I don't believe it was our server's fault. I believe it was the kitchen. At one point our server said that our entree orders went in right after a large party's went in, so that's what slowed us down. That's not really acceptable to me, but what are you gonna' do? Our appetizer was slow in coming too...and that was before the large party arrived. We'll go back because the food is consistently delicious and we enjoy the ambience (though sometimes a bit noisy).

Lake Forest Park, Washington
“Best happy hour in the state”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

It is hard to believe anyone could give this restaurant anything but 5 stars. The happy hour is totally amazing. The quality of the food is superb, the variety of choices is surpassed and the cost of the whole thing makes it a favorite go to place. I had a friend visiting from Dallas. She does not like fish.
I had her try a taste of mine. Now, everytime she visits we go to Girardi's. The service was great, it is a little noisy but how can you find fault in people enjoying themselves.
This place is a treasure. I have been reluctant to write a review because I don't want everyone going there.

• Visited January 2013

Been to Girardi's Osteria? Share your experiences!